MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#29990 - 01/09/03 12:06 PM weekend fling in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I am so thrilled! Going to Madrid next weekend for 3 nites with a few friends. This just came up and couldn't pass it up. Now was wondering if anyone in Madrid now knows of any plays or museum exhibits that are MUST SEES. We all have lived in Madrid and have our favorites to do, eat and see laugh , but was just wondering if there is something that is happening NOW that cannot be missed. I have been looking in the Guía del ocio, but nothing has really hit me. Any suggestions? Antonio? anyone? gracias. smile

#29991 - 01/10/03 04:38 PM Re: weekend fling in Madrid
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
I've been monitoring responses to your post and it's a bummer that no one has responded. I say that because when I log in to www.usairwaysvacations.com , I can get a package from the West Coast, SF, to Madrid for 3 nights over the MLK long weekend, for about $750, airfare and lodging included. To sweeten the pot, if you book a package and use you MC card, you even get a bonus gift of either free domestic roundtrip airfare, $100 MC card, or Samsonite luggage. However, just like you, I have been to Madrid several times and I was trying to find some "justification" for going. So all you Madrid lovers out there, please respond to Esperanza's query post-haste!

#29992 - 01/14/03 12:35 PM Re: weekend fling in Madrid
Miguelito Offline

Hello Esperanza, if you like old films there is a ciclo in the Filmoteca of old Spanish films (1930-1950 more or less). You can check here the program:
http://www.mcu.es/cine/filmoteca/programacion/pdf/enero2003.pdf
If you like futbol, this Sunday will be the famous Real Madrid-Atlético de Madrid, the bars will be crowded, I gess it'll be difficult to get a ticket.
And then the habitual things ...

#29993 - 01/14/03 12:41 PM Re: weekend fling in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Miguelito, the movies sound interesting...I will check that out. I didn't know about the Real Madrid game, so that is important information if we are in the bars on Sunday. I was thinking about possibly going to see Don Juan Tenorio. Has anyone seen the current Madrid production?

#29994 - 01/15/03 01:37 AM Re: weekend fling in Madrid
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
I don't know if it is still there, but "My Fair Lady" in Spanish was playing at a theater on the Gran Via near Plaza de España. It was incredibly good. Fully up to New York or London standards.
Hopefully the Madrileños who monitor this board can report on its existence.

In Hertford, Herriford or Hampshire, hurricanes hardly happen becomes...en un jardín Japonés hay una jaula...

Buena suerte

Lee

#29995 - 01/15/03 08:16 AM Re: weekend fling in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

I still can't believe that I will be in Madrid in two days! patatas bravas smile , chocolate con churros smile , las rebajas en el Corte Inglés laugh , el Rastro el domingo cool , El Espejo ( calle Recoletos) my head is going crazy...I couldn't sleep last night just thinking about this weekend. Yeah! Madrid.

#29996 - 01/15/03 09:18 AM Re: weekend fling in Madrid
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Esperanza,

I just wanted to tell you that we all wish you have a TERRIFIC TIME while you're here! laugh smile

I have a culinary suggestion....since the weather is SOOO COLD these days....how about a nice 'cocidito madrileño'?
(My British bf prepared one last weekend, and it was MMMMMMMMMMMMM....

#29997 - 01/15/03 12:53 PM Re: weekend fling in Madrid
Val Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi Esperanza,

My sis was just here for 3 weeks. There are lots of art expositions around. At the Santander Foundation, right by the Villa Magna Hotel on Calle Marques de Villa Magna there's the Lazaro Galdiano collection showing. Small musuems are nice too if you haven't seen them all: The Decorative Arts Museum, The Sorolla Museum, the Bearfoot Nuns Convent (Descalzas Reales - it sounds weird, but really nice). Also, the Prado and Reina Sofía both have the excellent permanent plus visiting stuff and so does the Thyssen.

Enjoy! El Zorro musical might be another fun thing?!

Val

#29998 - 01/16/03 05:38 AM Re: weekend fling in Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
esperanza writes:
Quote:
I still can't believe that I will be in Madrid in two days! patatas bravas , chocolate con churros , las rebajas en el Corte Inglés , el Rastro el domingo , El Espejo ( calle Recoletos) my head is going crazy...I couldn't sleep last night just thinking about this weekend. Yeah! Madrid.
Poor Marisa! I guess she doesn't get to go this time.

I like the churros con chocolate at Toribio's Churreria on the Plaza in Barajas pueblo.

If Sunday is a nice day, I would recommend a visit to el Parque del buen Retiro over el Rastro.

And try to use this trip to do some 'up front' research for a later student tour. You may even be able to 'write off' some of your expenses.

Have a wonderful time, Esperanza! We'll be looking forward to your 'trip report' when you get back.

#29999 - 01/16/03 07:30 AM Re: weekend fling in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Thanks everyone for your good wishes! smile Eddie, I think the weather calls for rain and cloudiness all weekend in Madrid. frown but that will not stop us! wink I will be with friends that I studied with in 1979 eek at NYU in Madrid. we haven't been all together for too many years. Yes, my daughters are pouting about not being able to come this time. But I am bringing an empty bag that i will fill up with goodies for them. smile Thanks Pim for your suggestions for cocido. Yum! I know the food will be a definite high point to the trip. I will tell you all about it next week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments