Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#29732 - 09/13/05 04:14 AM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
My favourite dessert is grenades in wine. I usually have them at least one whole day in wine and sugar before eating them.... I love them!!!

#29733 - 09/18/05 10:51 AM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
Julia0912 Offline

how do i make either one of those.. it's due tomorrow?!?!

#29734 - 09/18/05 11:04 AM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It's quite simple (torrijas): boil milk with cinamon, sugar and the skin of a lemon.

Then cut thick slices of french bread (or sandwich bread if you don't have access to french bread) cover them with the boiled milk.

Then squeeze some eggs and pass the bread so it is covered with the sqeezed eggs.

Finally fry the slices in olive oil (if it's not possible use sunflower oil) and cover with some additional cinamon and sugar.

The traditional recipe requires a special kind of bread only available in Spain, wich is very compact, and also to add syrup ("caramelo", which is made with sugar, lemon and water) at the end, but anyway they will taste incredible and quite spanish laugh

Check this link for quantities: www.recetas.net

#29735 - 09/18/05 08:00 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
misspom Offline

Loc: new york
Does anyone know how to make Pionones? Delicious treats...
I tasted them in Granada and I loved them! It's a pastry that can only be found in the south of spain, according to the very nice lady at the Parador de Granada.

#29736 - 09/18/05 10:44 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
Julia0912 Offline

thanks fernando... i made my dad do it so ill get to taste them tomorrow.. hopefully they're good!! are they originally from Spain or is it just something you like?

#29737 - 09/19/05 01:30 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Julia,
Torrija is the Spanish version of what we refer to as French toast give or take a few ingrediants and the time of day it is served ....

#29738 - 09/19/05 03:06 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I don't know if it is common in other countries, but it is very typical in Spain during Easter smile

Fernando

#29739 - 09/19/05 03:31 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
I wouldn't really compare torrijas to french toasts... actually I think they are completely different. Usually after frying them, you keep the torrijas in caramel for a day or so, and you eat them all wet and juicy.

#29740 - 09/20/05 02:53 AM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
pim_on_tour Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
....and topped with all sorts of berries (or simply with strawberries and a little cream) for 'moi', please!!! cool

Recently, we came back from our holiday in Provence and ended up spending 5 days in Marseille! (recommended!); well, in the main plaza there was a churros kiosk!, too bad it was allways closed when we were there, I would have liked to see what French churros looked like.... And, on our last day, we went to a nearby small fishing village where, again at a street stall we bought something very, very similar to 'porras', they were really good, although over there they're called....ahem....chichis! :o

Julia, melocotón con vino is very typical of the Aragonese region, I'll check out a good recipe in English....the only concern I have is if they'll allow you to have alcohol in class!!! eek (I think not!) rolleyes

So far nobody has mentioned a good 'mil hojas'. Mmmm....when they're well done, meaning very light and fluffy, they can be such a delicacy!

Where 'tartas' (cakes) are concern, I love one that looks very pretty, even sophisticated, it's tower-shaped and...I think it's called the Saint Honoré.

#29741 - 09/20/05 03:51 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Pim -

Quote:
And, on our last day, we went to a nearby small fishing village where, again at a street stall we bought something very, very similar to 'porras', they were really good, although over there they're called....ahem....chichis!
LOL laugh

Glad to hear you had a great time!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3038 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments