MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#29576 - 10/05/02 04:20 AM Re: ultima viaje
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Booklady:
Your comments reinforce my too-late observations that the best things in life really are free--or like water and bread--almost free. Franco had imposed a price ceiling on bread. One could always buy a wonderful, freshy baked "pistola" for the daily midday meal.
As I recall, it cost 15 pesetas.

The baker invariably made up for the low bread price by charging higher prices for almost everything else in his shop, like cakes and other sweets. That wonderful crispy bread, baked every day and which I have never seen replicated in the USA, remains a vivid gustatory memory of my own.
Cantabene

#29577 - 10/05/02 10:42 AM Re: ultima viaje
Tia Offline

"-La Sagrada Familia is now complete. Oops...that will never happen."

You´re absolutely right, Cali. But it´s still SOOO fabulous and beautiful!

I visited the church for some days ago and climbed up the narrow stairs (like a corkscrew) up to 70 meters in one of the towers. The view is fantastic!

Cantabene: If I had to choose my 'último viaje' I would choose Granada. It has all those qualities that you discribe. smile

#29578 - 10/08/02 04:48 PM Re: ultima viaje
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Thank you, Tia, for your suggestion. I've been in Granada twice, but a long time ago. Except for the Alhambra, I do not recall being overly impressed. But I was younger then and in a hurry. I probably overlooked most of its charms. Too, most places can be revisited profitably when added years have provided fresh perspectives and deeper understanding.
Cantabene

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments