Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#29382 - 06/22/02 03:36 PM Horchata?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
How is this made in Spain?. I didn't know about it when there and never tried it but on a previous query someone mentioned that it is made from tiger nut. I just had some while in Mexico (yummmmm!)and was told it was made from rice.So are there regional/national variations?

#29383 - 06/22/02 07:06 PM Re: Horchata?
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Horchata is made with chufas, I don't know if the translation is "tiger nut", it could be; chufas are like small nuts (nail size), very wrinkled. They're pressed to make horchata, which is white though chufas are brown-reddish. The season for drinking horchata is mainly the summer and it's usually served icy. Very refreshing!
It's typical from the Levante area, especially Alicante.

#29384 - 06/22/02 08:41 PM Re: Horchata?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
My favourite drink!!! Sweet, fresh, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, delicious!!!!!!

As Castiza says, the process is as follows: you first leave the chufas (which are in reality roots) submerged in water. Then take them out of the water, crush them and press until all the horchata comes out. The last step is to add sugar... no! the last step is drinking it laugh

Fernando

#29385 - 06/22/02 09:53 PM Re: Horchata?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Yummmmmmmmmmm!
I just bought a package of Klass Aguas Frescas Horchata, since I am on a diet I add Equal instead of sugar. The little package makes a delicious quart, just add water and ice, and it only cost a humble thirty-five cents at my friendly grocery store, Save a Lot.
Que delicia! wink

#29386 - 06/23/02 12:18 AM Re: Horchata?
karenwishart Offline

Booklady, from where are these little packets "a product of..."? Should I look in gourmet groceries or is something any store in a latino neighborhood might have?

#29387 - 06/23/02 07:25 AM Re: Horchata?
picara Offline

Loc: New Mexico, USA
Hiya,
adding my 2 cents... yes, horchata has regional variations. In Mexico it is made with rice (and comes in stores in concentrate that you mix with water, available at a lot of places in the U.S. now) and in Central america I think it is made with a different grain. I've tried the horchata here in Spain and it's a very different taste (I was surprised)!

yay, it's summertime and time for horchatas, lemonade and sangría!
picara smile

#29388 - 06/24/02 10:09 AM Re: Horchata?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Karenwishart,
Most likely any Latin Grocery in your area that sells Mexican products. I will be glad to mail you a packet, if you like, just e-mail me. They are wonderful. I made aquart right after I posted put some appropriate music and I felt like I was back in Madrid! smile
Booklady

#29389 - 06/24/02 12:04 PM Re: Horchata?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Booklady's right. I bought a packet of Horchata at my local latino grocery too. I haven't made it yet either, but believe you just add water. I'm not even sure if it tastes exactly or nearly exactly like the horchata you find in Spain. Booklady, are they REALLY that similar/same?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#29390 - 06/24/02 12:25 PM Re: Horchata?
karenwishart Offline

That's why I was wondering where the instant version is from and if it is more of a Mexican version, hense made from rice, or is it a Espana version. I'm sure they're both yummy...I wish I was in Madrid right now so I could compare.(Good excuse, right? as if we need one!)

#29391 - 06/26/02 02:47 AM Re: Horchata?
Miguelito Offline

Here in Spain sometimes is made of almonds, but I don't like so much, I prefer the chufa one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments