Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#29297 - 06/08/02 01:10 PM Madrid tapas bars-plaza mayor
chuck Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
ok amigos -i have been to the plaza mayor (Madrid) many times but now i have to be the experienced one for my relatives who i convinced to go along with me-my question -are the best tapas bars inside the plaza itself or on the neighboring streets-also if i am driving on calle mayor and the plaza is on my right , where can i access the underground parking that i am told exists under the plaza mayor -muchas gracias, chuck

#29298 - 06/09/02 02:55 AM Re: Madrid tapas bars-plaza mayor
richardmadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
OK, first the easy part: The access to the underground parking is just along the Calle Mayor about halfway past where the Plaza starts if you are driving up the Calle Mayor. Just look for the big blue sign with a large P.

And you have opened a heated subject about the "best tapas". Who can say what or where the best tapas are? I avoid those places IN the Plaza Mayor like the plague because of the abusive prices and their total dedication to the predication of tourists. Remember that tapas are just Spanish cuisine served up in small portions so what you have to look for are places that do just nice food. What happens to us "natives" is that we have a series of places that do one or two things especially well (in our opinion). I have number of places that I go to frequently with friends to have one thing or the other. And that is the real essence of the tapa-ing. It is to bar hop from one to the other in good company and just have something and glass of wine in each place. But beware: this turns into an expensive enterprise and should not be thought of a cheap way to eat!!!

Just to clear things up, I am not saying not to go into the Plaza Mayor but my policy on that one is to just have something to drink if I want to sit there and then just grin and bear it when the bill comes. But it is a great place to hang out and look at people.

#29299 - 06/09/02 06:32 AM Re: Madrid tapas bars-plaza mayor
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
I couldn't agree more with Richard, if fact that's exactly what I was going to write. Go have a drink there if you must, and enjoy the people, the sun, the architecture, etc.... at the terrazas of the Plaza (I personally would have some Spanish drink like; 'granizado de limón', 'mosto', 'horchata', 'tinto de verano', 'clara', etc....to make the experience more authentic), but for tasty tapas, I'd definetely head somewere else.

#29300 - 06/09/02 08:12 AM Re: Madrid tapas bars-plaza mayor
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I too agree with richardmadrid and pim. To have tapas in the Plaza Mayor Madrid you're paying and should expect to pay for the quality of location and view than for the quality of tapas. Really, to me, the tapas in the Plaza Mayor are average in quality so for me, "average" is just fine if the setting is special. I honestly don't mind paying 3-4 Euros for a coffee with milk or the same for a pincho of tortilla de patatas if I can sit at a table IN the Plaza Mayor or in an old bar/restaurant in the gallery of same.

Between Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol there are MANY tapas places. While not "pretty" or "historic-looking" at all, I like the "LAS BRAVAS" chain of tapas places. These places are POPULAR more with the local madrileños - they're cheaper (the place, not the madrileños), they're busier, and to me they're better. Oh, they're usually HOTTER too. You'll find several threads about tapas as well as a nice, LONG thread in this forum about the "LAS BRAVAS" chain entitled " Patatas Bravas in Madrid by using the SEARCH link above/right on all pages.

But really, for me, I love to finish an evening with a coffee Madrid's Plaza Mayor under the stars.

Have a great time in Spain! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#29301 - 06/09/02 09:19 AM Re: Madrid tapas bars-plaza mayor
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
MM,
I could not have said it better!

Chuck, now that we have suggested looking around I have to recommend Cerveceria Cervantes if you want a great variety of tapas. This bar is on the corner of Calle Jesus and Calle de Cervantes - in fact you can look east from the bar and see la Fuente Neptuno. See my pics for a look at some of the great tapas.

#29302 - 06/09/02 10:02 AM Re: Madrid tapas bars-plaza mayor
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
The way I see it, from the Plaza Mayor/Sol area you can easily walk to either La Latina (with eateries like El Viajero or El Almendro, etc....), or Huertas neighborhood (with places such as my beloved Maceira, Terra Mundi, La Dolores,....)

#29303 - 06/10/02 08:48 AM Re: Madrid tapas bars-plaza mayor
Miguelito Offline

MM, stars in the Plaza Mayor? eek
In fact, there is a great discussion about the lighting in Madrid, as it is almost impossible to see any star in a normal night.
Anyway, we can still see the moon. wink

#29304 - 06/10/02 09:43 AM Re: Madrid tapas bars-plaza mayor
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Miguelito, I wrote:
Quote:
But really, for me, I love to finish an evening with a coffee Madrid's Plaza Mayor under the stars.
I said UNDER the stars, not looking AT the stars. wink I can remember seeing LOTS of stars when walking through the Plaza Mayor at 3 or 4 in the morning after they turn off most of the plaza lights.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#29305 - 06/10/02 10:50 AM Re: Madrid tapas bars-plaza mayor
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I agree with all the prior posts - a drink or cafe con leche in Plaza Mayor is great - but don't eat there. Best way to discover great tapa places and/or full meals - besides doing the suggested search - is to eat where the residents eat - not where the tourists eat.

A number of board members who live in Madrid (luchy guys!) have posted favorite restaurants along with the specialities offered and why they like them -

Have a great time - and happy 'tapaing'

#29306 - 06/11/02 07:18 PM Re: Madrid tapas bars-plaza mayor
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
If you want a professional start go to Casa Antonio in Latoneros st
and ask for a pitcher of Sangría (9 euros), you will have them with
a cat´s grin within ten minutes.

Andrés

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments