Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#28909 - 04/28/02 07:01 PM Re: USA: Good Spanish restaurants
juan Offline

IN NYC, Solera (E 53? Street --$$$) is a small, stylish restaurant with a very creative chef and a fantastic wine list. Most memorable are their candied baby eggplants served for desert with cheese. Strange, almost medieval/arab, and a real memory to this Caribbean addict to pasta de guayaba con queso!

Down in Tribeca, Meigas (also pricey) used to have wonderful food but I stopped going after a disappointing meal about a year ago.

I'd go back however, just for the strange, wonderful ice cream made with cheese. I know it
sounds pukey but trust me; this was amazing!

#28910 - 05/04/02 02:15 PM Re: USA: Good Spanish restaurants
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
as one of us in san diego, i'll have to stop by laduque.

#28911 - 05/21/02 05:04 PM Re: USA: Good Spanish restaurants
Espe3 Offline

Wow! Tons of places to visit! smile Esperanza, since you're in Manhattan smile Try a little place on the other side of the Hudson RIver. Its called Puerto Spain. Its in Hoboken, NJ. If you don't have a car, then take the 126 from the Port Authority (2nd floor) and get off on 14th street. You can't miss it, the bus drops you off RIGHT IN FRONT! smile The bus drops you off on the right side of the street and the rest. is on the left. The owners (you're gonna love this) are from Galicia! smile It is run by partners, Andres, and Benny. Andres is usually there nights. The food is GREAT. They serve (surprise) mostly marisco, and its very fresh! smile I used to live in the building right over the restaurant and used to hang out there a lot. Hoboken has a Tapas place called Vale, and I went there too and :Not good frown The cook is spanish, the owners are a couple, Italian/columbian I think it was- loved spain and opened up the place. Its on Washington if you want to try it. Its ambiance is very neat, but that's all its got. The Port of Spain people have been in the works to open a Tapas bar across the street from the restaurant, but the project was still in the works when I left, so I don't know how that's going. But if the quality there is like at their restaurant, I'd definately try it out!
Buen provecho! smile

#28912 - 05/21/02 05:42 PM Re: USA: Good Spanish restaurants
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Espe3, Hi ! smile Of course I know Hoboken! I will have to try the place you mention: Puerto Spain. It sounds great! It sounds like you miss it a little. We used to go to Newark, New Jersey a lot, to the Iron Bound section where there are some good Portuguese and Spanish places...and the ambiente is certainly Spanish. Our favorite is Casa Vasca. Yumm. My cousin even had her wedding reception there...much better than the typical filet mignon, baked potato and yucky string beans that are so typical of an American wedding.
Saludos, Esperanza

#28913 - 05/21/02 09:14 PM Re: USA: Good Spanish restaurants
Espe3 Offline

I do miss it! frown I told my fi that if there was one place for me to live (other than spain) that that would be it! Very pretty, quaint, european in its way :)And right next to where all the action is! smile Let me know if you go and what you think! smile

#28914 - 05/22/02 08:57 AM Re: USA: Good Spanish restaurants
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
Tio Pepe in Baltimore has been there forever and has excellent food in case anyone finds themselves in Charm City.

#28915 - 05/22/02 08:32 PM Re: USA: Good Spanish restaurants
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
I thought I'd report to the San Diego members that laduque's Costa Brava recommendation is excellent! Especially the patatas bravas. They have a wonderful decor, and everything we ate was delicious and reasonably priced. Thank you Juan and Lisa!

#28916 - 05/22/02 11:51 PM Re: USA: Good Spanish restaurants
metrobilbao Offline

Loc: cincinnati, ohio usa
I must put in my 2 cents worth regarding the chicago Spanish Restaurants....... My absolute favourite is Iberico Cafe on Lasalle..... Food/Ambience/Price... all very very good to excellent.... There are a few Spanish waiters but not many.....but thats tough to have a pure spanish ambience if youre not in Spain.....My particular favourite is Filete de Ternera con patatas fritas con salsa de cabrales... MMMMM MMMMM. AS far as Arco De Cuchilleras is concerned..... The heavier set of the two sons that work there is very nice and super friendly... the father was a bit testy the last time I was there.....and honestly the food was just mediochre......but if youre in the neighborhood there go up the street to GAY MART its a hoot!!!! what a campy gift shop.... but I digress....... A definate Stay Away From would be Mallorca in Cleveland.... YECH!!!!!!! not spanish at all and their Pallea es una mierda.... Pardon the french.......they used to be here in Cinti..... and moved..... no suprise..... wonder if theyll make it in Cleveland.....

#28917 - 05/26/02 11:47 AM Re: USA: Good Spanish restaurants
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
What a truly worthwhile topic! I would like to recommend Café Spain in St. Augustine, Florida. I recently visited,for the first time and certainly not the last,this fine establishment and for a few hours I was transported back to Madrid. The proprietor and Chef, Manolo is a Madrileño. While the ambiance is very modest, the food is Fantastica.

We began with several tapas: a huge platter of Patatas Bravas (3.95), which tasted almost as good as in Madrid; Calamares Fritos (5.95), and a huge platter of Jamon Serrano with Queso Manchego (6.95). After that we each dined on a wonderful and plentiful bowl of Sopa de Mariscos(4.95)! What a treat to el paladar! They also had on their menu Tortilla Española (4.50);Sopa Castellana (4.75); Cocido Madrileño (9.75), Paella Valenciana (20.95) for two; Gazpacho,among others entries too numerous to mention. Their desserts were a bit skimpy, only flan and Arroz con Leche. Unfortunately Manolo does not excell in desserts. Que Lastima!

All in all certainly a three stars establishment! He also sells some Spanish groceries,at very reasonable prices. I was able to pick up a nice bottle of
Patxaran's Pamplona, a non-alcoholic sloe fruit beverage that is delightful in coffee! But no La Casera.

If you are in the area it is worth a visit. They are located in the old Spnaish district.
Buen Provecho!

#28918 - 05/26/02 01:53 PM Re: USA: Good Spanish restaurants
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Booklady, as you know, my parents live in St. Augustine...so I will certainly take your advice and drop in for a visit to Cafe Spain!! It sounds a bit less expensive than the Columbia, and I always like trying places I haven't yet visited.

BTW, have you ever been to Cafe Alcazar there? It's not Spanish food, but the location is remarkable--it's at the bottom of a huge drained indoor swimming pool at the Lightner Museum, formerly Henry Flagler's turn of the century Hotel Alcazar. There's often live guitar music and the menu is great.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3024 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments