Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28797 - 02/28/02 11:24 PM Re: Another American chain (Starbucks)
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
My feelings after watching my father's small grocery store that specialized in service and quality be pushed out by the supermarkets 30 years ago in the US, that no matter how many jobs the "expertise" of franchises and chains creates...it can never replace the pride of ownership, the quality of servise, the creativity in merchandising that the small "mom & pop" businesses bring to our day to day lives. And it just stinks that they cannot compete with the massive buying power of the giants.Starbucks go home!!

#28798 - 03/05/02 01:18 PM Re: Another American chain (Starbucks)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Karen,

Your post rekindled old memories for me. I know what you mean, and realize how painful all of it must have been for your family, after all those years of hard work.

Slowly, big business is killing the Mom & Pop operations, and with it, the dreams of millions, and the closeness of community, and family, that once was the corner stone of our society.

If you look at WalMart and it's growth, they leave behind a legacy of downtown areas in smaller towns empty. The Mom & Pop operations die, unable to meet the prices of a conglomerate. Although most people do care, they end up buying from WalMart anyway, because economically, for their family, it makes sense.

Along with the death of the small downtowns goes jobs. People who were employed no longer have jobs, and they certainly don't employ as many in a WalMart as the large number of small businesses did.

It made me remember something that happened a long time ago.

There was this butcher shop in the neighborhood where we lived back in the 60s. My wife and I always bought our meats from the old Italian gentleman who owned it. It was a twice a week ritual for my wife, as well as others who lived around there. One woman in particular, who was also a friend of ours, was a steady customer. That is, until the week after her husband was layed off from his job.

Her being about eight months pregnant, and unable to work, meant that they were going to have to try to make ends meet on his unemployment compensation, until he was either called back to work, or found another job.

My wife stopped into the shop one day, and the old man asked my wife where her friend was. He hadn't seen her in nearly two weeks, and she was like clock work, showing up on Mondays and Thursdays.

My wife told him how her husband had lost his job. He asked her if they had a freezer, she said they did. When she got home, she told me about the conversation. That was on Monday.

The following Friday night, the people came over to our house for dinner. During the meal, she told us how they'd just had some great luck.

It seems that the butcher shop we all went to had accidentally cut up too much meat on Thursday night, and the butcher called them. Since he wouldn't sell frozen meat, he wondered if they'd have a problem with it. Would they take it off his hands. Then he told them they could pay him in two or three months, whatever was convenient for them.

My wife just smiled, and glanced over at me. Yes, they were lucky. Lucky enough to shop at a butcher shop where an old Italian gentleman, who'd sing Italian songs all day had set up shop.

The last time I thought about this great old man, and his butcher shop, was about nine or ten years ago, when my wife went back to that old neighborhood to take what will probably be our last look at it.

The butcher is gone, but the the building isn't. It's a tanning salon now. Things change, and not always for the better.

Personally, I'll boycott Starbucks in Spain. Let's hope enough people do so that the business that ends up closed is Starbucks, not the Mom & Pop coffee shop down the street. They deserve to live forever.

Thanks Karen. You gave us something very valuable with your post.

Wolf frown

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: Wolf ]

#28799 - 03/21/02 02:49 PM Re: Another American chain (Starbucks)
teebosco Offline

Being a huge coffee drinker and having spent 3 months all over Spain I have to say I'm very happy that Starbuck's is coming. If there was one thing that I missed while there it was a good coffee. I loved being immersed in the culture and trying all the foods but the coffee situation just plain stunk. Cortados, cafe solos & cafe con leche...I've tried them all. What's up with the 2 ounces of coffee anyway??? And why is it so wrong if an american company pumps millions of dollars into an already international community which Madrid is?? If you want any of these 2 ounce shots of "coffee", stick to the endless amount of cafes, I'll be in Starbucks with a smile when I return for the next few months.

#28800 - 03/25/02 03:56 PM Re: Another American chain (Starbucks)
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Cheers teebosco.Next time anyone asks me for an example of American stereotype,Ill send them here.

#28801 - 03/25/02 06:42 PM Re: Another American chain (Starbucks)
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Yeah, the invasion of chain stores sucks as far as the local culture is concerned, and they are cold blooded, but often times they are cheaper and sometimes have a larger selection. The people show what they want with their dollars, and generally have choosen chain stores. It is nice to bash places like wal-mart, but are you going to tell a single mother with 3 kids making minimum wage that she make do with even less just to keep a little culture? As for Starbucks, I personally don´t think Starbucks coffee is better than anywhere else and definitely not cheaper so I make it a point not to go there.

#28802 - 03/25/02 08:29 PM Re: Another American chain (Starbucks)
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Personally I think that all of Europe should be walled off as a "living museum" like Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia or those tribes in Brazil who've never seen a lightbulb. I think in order to save Europe from the inherently evil influence of American "culture" (gosh, can we call it that?) we need to make sure that United States has absolutely no business here on the continent.

I mean, who doesn't HATE American businesses? Especially franchises. They're all evil. The simple people here in Spain will be powerless to resist this dark-power. It's obvious their ability of free will and choice will be completely overwhelmed by the presence of Starbucks and we need to protect them!! I can see it now, miles of tract-homes and strip malls are coming. We really need to do something...

But oh wait, I helped launch Starbucks' first website. Crap... a couple more Starbucks around Madrid would really help the name-recognition and make my resume stand out some more. Ah, nevermind, forget all the other stuff, I still need a job. I guess I'll just have to have some respect for the Spanish people and not get nutty about a single coffee shop. Oh well...

-Russ

P.S. Hey Mick Nick have you ever seen European tourists in the U.S.? Have you ever listened to the French complain about the coffee and the food? The Spanish complain about the spices? The English complain about, well, everything? Teebosco wanted a nice American cup of coffee while he was here in Spain and that makes him somehow a stereotypical ugly American? Get a clue...

#28803 - 03/26/02 06:10 AM Re: Another American chain (Starbucks)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Roe,

You're right. Bashing doesn't work. But pointing out the economic impact in a small community does not represent bashing. It simply states the facts, and it's the reason that many small communities have started efforts to keep WalMart out. Whether they are right or wrong in this matter doesn't mean anything. The fact is, they are trying to save jobs and businesses in the community. If that's wrong, they're still doing it for all the right reasons. There's no doubt that shopping WalMart is wise. I guess that's why most of us do. We put our pocket books in front of what others might consider the common good.

Wolf

#28804 - 03/26/02 07:20 AM Re: Another American chain (Starbucks)
cubatex Offline

Loc: Middle East
Wow! What a reaction form the crowd over a coffee bar. This is probably "Dr. Evil's" doing.

Can anyone living in Madrid tell me where you can find a place that serves "good" Cuban style coffe? I'm not talking "cafe solo" either. Would appreciate some feed back so I can get a "buchito" during my visit in August.

#28805 - 03/26/02 09:58 AM Re: Another American chain (Starbucks)
Guapetona Offline

oye chico!! laugh
just ask for a cortado..in spain its just not sugared for you! its the same thing but no sugar..remember that spaniards and cubans have very similar tastes. wink
besos,
la tona

#28806 - 03/26/02 04:29 PM Re: Another American chain (Starbucks)
LW Offline

Loc: USA
First of all, the coffee in Spain, in most of the places I went, is the one of the best I've tasted. The coffee is roasted in small amounts of sugar, and many countries in Europe have their beans roasted in Spain because of their special processing. My friends and I, who appreciates a good tasting cup of coffee, loved the coffee I brought back from Spain on Feb 4,2002. And in my opinion, Starbucks regular cup of coffee doesn't taste like anything special, unless you are one them people that only drink coffee in different flavors, then I guess it would be good in Spain. I just love it strong, slightly sweet, with a little leche..simple and soooo good wink .Anyway, since we do live in a world where everyone is different, who am I to judge others eek .jaja..ANYway, as they say, different strokes for different folks laugh
smile :p

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments