Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28768 - 02/21/02 07:31 PM Madrid Flamenco:too late for kids?
Voogieboo Offline

Loc: Arizona
Hi!!

I'm new--kind of. I've been reading "MadridMan" for several months, and you guys have already been great help, especially Ben (zero262quick) who helped me with hostal and food recommendations.

We will be visiting Madrid in 15 days--but who's counting--with our two children. Since the rugrats are 6 and 9, super late nights (really early mornings???) are out. My daughter is dying to see some flamenco. Do you think this is pretty much out without keeping them awake till the wee hours?

Denise

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#28769 - 02/21/02 08:14 PM Re: Madrid Flamenco:too late for kids?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Excellent topic. Most of the tablaos in Madrid have earlier shows and might be easier to which to get reservations.

My ladyfriend and I tried to make reservations for a show at Casa Patas but only the 6pm show was available - the 10pm (??) show was sold out. We agreed that 6pm was TOO early so I called Café de Chinitas and we got reservations to the 10:30pm show. Well, it started on time, but went until about 3:00am and we stayed 'til the end. We didn't see ANY children there either.

I'm CERTAIN, however, that if your children could see a flamenco show they would enjoy it. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28770 - 02/22/02 05:44 AM Re: Madrid Flamenco:too late for kids?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
In Madrid you might check with Florida Park, a restaurant & nightclub just inside the O'Donnell Street entrance to Retiro Park. They don't have the typical ambience of a Tablao Flamenco but they put on a folkloric dance show that includes Sevillanas and some other Flamenco-type dances as well as Jotas (what I consider Spain's national dance). Early show is about 8:30 PM; another about midnight. cool

#28771 - 02/23/02 02:33 PM Re: Madrid Flamenco:too late for kids?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Last June I went to Casa Patas on a Monday evening to a 10:30PM show. I remember that because it was Monday there was only one evening show so it was "earlier" and possibly a little shorter. The performers happened to be recent graduates of the school and the show was awesome. We had booked a table online 3 weeks in advance and had a table right up at the stage. There appeared to be several families with young children (not tourists). It was over at midnight, plenty of time for dinner at Plaza de Santa Ana. Just be sure to have a good siesta that day! They did have some nice light food on the menu to hold you over and I think my teens actually ate it!

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: karenwishart ]

#28772 - 02/25/02 12:42 PM Re: Madrid Flamenco:too late for kids?
Spainbound Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
karenwisart

How did you go about making a reservation online? Did you email them (in English)? or do they have a site that takes reservations?
We are going in about 4 weeks and would prefer to have the reservations before I leave. Thanks smile

#28773 - 02/25/02 05:11 PM Re: Madrid Flamenco:too late for kids?
karenwishart Offline

Their email address is CPATAS@teleline.es.I sent a very simple (in English)email asking for a table for 5 for the date and time I was interested in. They responded with a confirmation in Spanish. I didn't spot any "negatives" but as I knew very little Spanish I double checked with a friend that it was in fact a Yes! Everything was fine when we got there. Very nice people and very few tourists. We loved it.

#28774 - 02/25/02 05:52 PM Re: Madrid Flamenco:too late for kids?
ebetancourt Offline

Loc: Tennessee
We were in the Madrid area three weeks last summer with our daughter and grandaughters (5 & 8). Hours as late as midnight/1am were not a problem. We all generally slept late and stayed out late. Actually makes the time change easier. Our biggest problem is that we were frequently too late for lunch and had to eat a lite lunch in bars. BTW the girls loved the trip. P Mayor was a favorite and they loved the mushrooms at el Meson del Champiñon. This was July, don{t know how it is earlier tin the year. Have fun!

ernie

#28775 - 02/25/02 10:24 PM Re: Madrid Flamenco:too late for kids?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Has ANYONE tried the link I included in my 2-21 posting above to Casa Patas ?? confused (<- note that when something is underlined it means it's a clickable link to something relative) You'll find their current email address therein. (different than the one karenwishart lists. Seems they've changed it) smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28776 - 02/25/02 11:24 PM Re: Madrid Flamenco:too late for kids?
karenwishart Offline

:o So sorry MM. I'm guilty. Wow, what a change in their website since last June!Next time I'll click before posting!

#28777 - 02/26/02 09:16 AM Re: Madrid Flamenco:too late for kids?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Denise:
I really think your children would enjoy a performance of Jotas Aragonesas or Jotas from some other region, if you can find one. They are somewhat similar to the Mexican dance groups you see in Arizona. Costumes and dances are happy music & themes with young, regional dance groups performing together the dances from their own province. Each region has its own colorful costumes, and often (as with Galicia or the Balearics)a totally different repetoire of music. laugh

IMHO the Tablao Flamenco is performed so late at night because dark, somber themes permeate much of Flamenco (except for Alegrias). rolleyes

You might enjoy the Jotas yourself: dances I consider the real National Dance of Spain, often performed to the music of Albeniz or Granados. My favorite of course: la Jota de la Dolores. laugh

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2398 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments