Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#28733 - 02/23/02 08:05 AM Re: (American)foods hard to find in Spain?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
PIM you are a Godsend!!! Where is Taste of America located or are there several stores? Sanchez Romero is ridiculously expensive. Of course being located in Las Rozas/Majadahonda also explains why.

I donīt miss too many American foods, my semi frequent trips back home seem to satisfy whatever "need" I may have...but itīs great to know that the store exists and carries AUTHENTIC things! My fave PB is Skippy although "Momīs prefer Jiff".

I am surprised with Nestle being a Swiss company that has a variety of products in the Spanish market that Nestleīs chocolate chips arenīt available here. frown

I do believe snickers are now available here as are Kit Kat, M&Mīs and I think Twix bars. What I would do for a Skor bar however... laugh

Other less "American" items that are a little more challenging for me to find are soy sauce (itīs not readily available at my corner market. I usually find it in one of the hypermarkets like Carrefour)...patis (or nuk mam? a fish sauce used in Filipino and Vietnamese cooking)...bok choy (Chinese vegetable) and dried rice noodles. Oh well, canīt have everything! At least I have cochinillo, cordero and tortilla espaņola!! smile

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#28734 - 02/23/02 09:19 AM Re: (American)foods hard to find in Spain?
nevado Offline

Taste of America is on the Castellana a few doors down from Serrano's ABC mall.
You can get a HUGE jar of soy sauce for a couple of euros at one of many asian markets along with other asian spices, sesame oil, fish oil, cooking utensils, etc. I got an amazing wok there for about 1800pts. There are tons around Bravo Murillo around the Tetuan area (on the right side) if you don't have one near you- I guess you wouldn't in Segovia smile.

#28735 - 02/23/02 11:30 AM Re: (American)foods hard to find in Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Madrid's Taste of America (<-pseudo-website with photos) address/info is:

C/ Serrano, 149
28002 - Madrid

Telephone: 91 - 562 16 32
Fax: 91 - 562 02 78

SEE the address in photos HERE via the QDQ.com website. According to the map therein, it's a LONG walk from La Castellana. Maybe they've moved??? Or maybe the address I've posted is old?? Pim, what's its current location? confused

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28736 - 02/23/02 11:51 AM Re: (American)foods hard to find in Spain?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
The one in Pso. Castellana by the ABC shopping centre has been closed for over a year now (it used to be "my store") the building was sold so we had to get out of there. Now there's only the cramped store at Serrano 149, by the Plaza de la Republica Argentina in what is called the 'colonia de El Viso' or just 'EL Viso'. (It's just so full of stuff from the two stores now).

Mama Chula (and others), here's an idea, when I worked at Taste....I used to prepare a lot of gift certificates as presents, for visiting relatives of Americans living here; that way, they have whatever amount of euros you decide, to spend on precisely the things that they may crave at one particular moment.
I realize it looks like it, but I'm not trying to publicize the store! Really, ha, ha! smile

Have a nice weekend everyone. Chica, I'll see you tonight! wink

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: pim ]

#28737 - 02/23/02 04:00 PM Re: (American)foods hard to find in Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, CaliBasco--Here's a recipe for Samoas (which, strangely, are called Caramel DeLites or something like that out here): http://robbiehaf.com/Recipes/G/75.htm

They are my favorites--especially frozen, when they'll nearly break your teeth!

Can't wait to stock up on the real thing during the cookie-sale season!
Tara smile

#28738 - 02/23/02 08:53 PM Re: (American)foods hard to find in Spain?
nevado Offline

oops, smile just goes to show how long it's been since I've needed a Mt. Dew fix! I used to walk by after work and be drawn in just thinking of Mt. Dew! (I'm off the dew now)!
Pim, I know your not there anymore but how do you think the business has been since they've changed locations? I suppose some would walk miles on their knees to get ahold of the goods they sell.

#28739 - 02/24/02 06:16 AM Re: (American)foods hard to find in Spain?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Nevado --

Thanks for the lead on the Asian cooking ingredients! I think I live in the only town in Spain where there ISNīT a Chinese restaurant yet (El Espinar). Segovia might have an Asian store, but I am in Madrid almost every day so itīs easier for me to go there!

Pim, MM and anyone else I might have forgotten, thanks for the Taste of America address.

Good luck Mama Chula on your food shopping! laugh

#28740 - 02/24/02 02:33 PM Re: (American)foods hard to find in Spain?
Mama Chula Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Thanks everyone for all the valuable information and helpful suggestions. I like the idea of a gift certificate from Taste of America and I may do that. I will, however, still be bringing some of his favorites with me.

Chica, I would be more than happy to bring you a nice big bag of Nestle's chocolate chips. My son's apartment is in Madrid near the Plaza Mayor and I will be there until April 12th maybe we can arrange something. Please email me and let me know if you would like me to do that.

Madrid Man, this is such a wonderful web site, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it since I accidentally surfed in last Saturday night!

Saludos,
Mama Chula
P.S. thanks to those who find my name cute. I chuckled when I came up with it and then I worried that people might find it conceited of me. But hey, I AM kinda cute for an old lady! wink

#28741 - 02/24/02 05:07 PM Re: (American)foods hard to find in Spain?
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Anyone in need of a top steak needs to visit La Cabana on Ventura de la Vega.My mouth is watering as I type.With regard to other American essentials....Mc Donalds are everywhere! wink

#28742 - 02/24/02 06:29 PM Re: (American)foods hard to find in Spain?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Mama Chula --

Thanks for your kind offer! I will actually be heading "home" (they say home is where the heart is, and my heart is in Spain and the USA!!)....in March for a short visit and plan to stock up then!

Enjoy your visit with your son!!!

chica

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1597 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments