Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28667 - 02/06/02 06:12 PM Patatas Bravas in Madrid
kitt Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Hi--We'll be on foot (or taxi) in the central area of Madrid (Puerto del Sol, Santa Ana, Atocha Station) and hope to zero in on the best Patatas Bravas we can find. Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks!!

#28668 - 02/06/02 07:39 PM Re: Patatas Bravas in Madrid
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
"what hope to zero in on" means? is this hardcore slang?

a.j.

#28669 - 02/06/02 07:47 PM Re: Patatas Bravas in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
kitt, there's a chanin by the name of "Las Bravas" and they're all good and about 3 of them can be found around the Plaza Mayor and Huertas areas. Mmmm... Patatas Bravas... Mmmmm.. I love 'em! :p Check out THIS Virtual Tourist writeup of Madrid and check the "Favorite Restaurants" section, detailing the "Las Bravas" restaurants.

Also, of course, the famed "El Brillante" makes good patatas bravas as well. It's located at street level under the Hotel Mediodia.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28670 - 02/07/02 03:14 AM Re: Patatas Bravas in Madrid
hombre_gizon Offline

Hello.

When I want to eat Patatas Bravas I always go to one bar located at the street "Álvarez Gato". This street is more known as "El callejón del gato".

It's nearby La Puerta del Sol. More exactly:
you must go up from Canaleja Square to Jacinto Benavente Square through "calle de la cruz", and when you are about to reach Jacinto Benavente Square, you'll find El Callejón del Gato on your left (it's a narrow street).

This bar has its own history. Outside the bar there are 3 mirror and it's said that our writer Valle Inclán wrote "El Esperpento" inspired by these mirrors. eek

¡Que aproveche!

#28671 - 02/07/02 05:36 AM Re: Patatas Bravas in Madrid
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
aaahh I love patatas bravas and I can't believe I missed the Las Bravas chain. Next time, I'll make sure I keep my eyes open. I found during my recent trip to Madrid that it was a bit more difficult to get bravas in the tapas bars but I did manage to track some down in the end.

#28672 - 02/08/02 03:32 PM Re: Patatas Bravas in Madrid
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Andrés,

"To zero in on" means "to target", or "to locate". It is colloquial expression that is fairly widely used, it is not vulgar.

Regards,
Shawn

#28673 - 02/08/02 04:12 PM Re: Patatas Bravas in Madrid
Chica369 Offline

Loc: York, PA
Just had excellent patatas bravas at "Jaleo," a tapas restaurant in Bethesda, Maryland. I understand there's another in D.C. proper. They were authentic -- for any of you in los alrededores de D.C. Enjoy!

#28674 - 02/09/02 12:48 AM Re: Patatas Bravas in Madrid
Andrés Offline

Thank you Shawn for the information. The thing is that we are supposed to be writing in an international message board and so if you use your local slang there may be people that won't be able to understand you and if so they won't be able to help.

Thanks again
PS: it was you the one who asked where "Torero" was?

#28675 - 02/09/02 04:54 AM Re: Patatas Bravas in Madrid
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Andrés,

It is difficult to understand some of the slang that Americans use. But what better way is there to learn it, than to have it said out here, amongst friends?

Heck! Even people from the UK and the US have problems understanding each other's slang at times, so we all have the same situation.

I'm still trying to figure out why an elevator is called a lift, and a baby buggy a pram - laugh

Those Englishmen! You'd think they invented the language, not Americans - rolleyes

Wolf (Who's totally illiterate when it comes to Spanish. frown )

#28676 - 02/09/02 10:42 AM Re: Patatas Bravas in Madrid
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Wolf,

lift -- synonymous with elevate, no?

pram -- short for perambulator

patatas bravas -- can't wait to eat some again!!!

laugh

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2673 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments