Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#28443 - 12/10/01 05:16 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I forgot to mention...I used Granadagirl's suggestion and added 1 large yoke for every 5 eggs and the texture and color was quite good...very substantial and held together nicely.

#28444 - 12/10/01 07:14 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi people.

1) Tortilla de patata
2) Tortilla de patatas
3) Tortilla patata

Number 1 is correct, it means that the "tortilla" is made of "patata" (literally potatoe omelette).

Number 2 is also correct, it means that the "tortilla" is made with potatoes (literally omelette of potatoes).

Number 3 confuses me. I'm not sure it is correct. It could be correct as a coloquial and shortened version of the first two. Is an uncommon structure, noun+noun.

"Tortilla española" is also used very often (but less frequently than the first two).

There is also another famous tortilla: tortilla paisana, which has the same composition, but also small pieces of chorizo, red baked pepper and beans (guisantes).

Regards.

Fernando

#28445 - 12/11/01 10:30 AM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Karen-

I'm glad the extra yolk worked for you! It definitely makes the color and taste a little more 'verdadero'!!

I'm very intereseted in finding out if anyone here in the states has seen a 'gira tortilla', that would be very useful and probably cause me to make the more often!!

Hasta luego!

-GG

#28446 - 12/11/01 04:05 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
One more flipping hint...when you first place all the ingredients in the pan, use a thin spatula to lift the edges of the tortilla as it begins to cook. That way, some of the runny eggs on top will move to the bottom, and you end up with better cooking all the way through (this from the person who insists that scrambled eggs should be "bouncy" rather than drippy!) and easier turning.

There are turning plates in lots of pottery shops in Spain (the ones I am thinking of come from the area around Talavera de la Reina)...many are painted with colorful patterns and say something along the lines of "para volver la tortilla" on them. They may seem a bit touristy, but are still fun to bring home! Those are more like a shallow bowl than a typical plate (which often has a ridge that interferes with sliding the tortilla into the pan).

Yum! I think I am having tortilla for dinner!
Tara smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2454 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments