Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28433 - 12/06/01 01:12 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I just made a tortilla last night!! It came out very good, but it just doesn't taste the same!!

The problem is the eggs in Spain are brighter orange, much fresher than we'd generally get here in the US. The aunt of my Spanish friend lived in the US for a while, and seems to have perfected it--if you're using 2 or 3 eggs, add an extra YOLK. (YES, it's REALLY good for your cholesterol!!), but that helps make it taste more authentic.

About the plate flipping method--if you're using a non-stick pan, you should be able to slide the tortilla out onto a plate, then use the plate to flip it back into the pan. (You avoid that first flip, and it's not as heavy if you're kind of just using the plate to flip.)

Buena suerte y buen provecho!

(I also made my very first batch of arroz con leche the other night too!! It takes hours to make, but it's well worth it!)

#28434 - 12/06/01 03:14 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Thank you Diana and all for the tips. I will try to make one before I leave for Madrid and report back on "el desastre ..."

Last week I had a major atracón de tortilla. In another thread I discussed the prepackaged tortillas my friend got from an import company ... even the manager of my local watering hole, who is from Galicia and is also chef, brought some from home and treated us to a few pieces of tortilla gallega!!!

churrito
laugh

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#28435 - 12/06/01 04:55 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Using a flat-edged plate works well, but when you go to Spain, pick up a "gira tortilla" which is a ceramic plate with a knob/handle on the bottom for grip , it makes for easier wrist action. They come in many different painted colors and patterns, but basically works to turn the tortilla over from the pan. Works every time! I have two (I like the designs on them), one from El Corte Ingles and one from the Rastro.

Last night we served tortilla as part of an appetizer party we had for friends, and everyone was hooked. They thought is was some exotic, complicated culinary creation! Little do they know (as we do here), that the tortilla is among the most simplest, pleasurable, perfect things in the whole world! smile

#28436 - 12/06/01 07:08 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
¡Rayos! I always jump into the fun discussions late! frown The easiest recipe (and no line upon line of things to rememeber) is this:

One large potato per egg;
thinly slice the potatoes, fry until soft in a "bath" of olive oil;
Drain the potatoes and add the beaten eggs, stir, and throw back in the now oil-less pan.
Fry until firm, cool, place in a vacuum-sealed bag and mail to CaliBasco for taste-testing.

The final step is most important. laugh

As far as flipping the tortilla: For those who are flip-challenged [evidenced by the crusty potato-egg film on your rangetop], I suggest a stone pizza pan to flip...it won't burn your hand, and is plenty large enough to "tapar" a frypan...¡provecho!

#28437 - 12/07/01 12:13 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Thank you all for the help. My tortilla de patatas was a big hit. MM, I gave all the credit to you website, Calibasco, sorry, no leftovers. As I actually made 4 tortillas I worked with 2 fry pans. I flipped my first batch into the second fry pan and replenished the olive oil being careful to remove all scraps and started cooking the next batch of patatas in the 1st pan & so on & so on.I felt like I added an Italian flair..flipping those pans around!!I made both with and w/out onion and the w/out was gone first.

#28438 - 12/07/01 02:40 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
Felix Offline

Loc: madrid
"I mix and flip the potato/onion/egg mixture several times quickly with a spatula just after pouring it into the pan."

Oh, don't do that; I hate when tortillas are done like that. It's not so difficult to flip the tortilla; it's just having a good plate to turn the tortilla.

About the "gira tortilla", it's the first time I hear it; i will have to check in el corte ingles

#28439 - 12/07/01 02:46 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
eek eek eek eek
¿¿ Tortilla de patatas SIN CEBOLLAS?? (Tortilla without onions??!!) ¡Qué vergüenza! (How shameful!) rolleyes

Someone tell me THE MOST CORRECT singular familiar term for "Tortilla Española":
1) Tortilla de patata
2) Tortilla de patatas
3) Tortilla patata

I've always heard my ladyfriend call it #3, but maybe that's a shortened version??

This thread is KILLING ME!!! (counting the days 'til my first opportunity for tortilla patata... : FIFTEEN DAYS!!)

With growling stomach, MadridMan :p

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28440 - 12/07/01 04:12 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
For the sake of curiosity I searched "gira tortilla" to see if it would turn up on some imported ceramics website (I had already tried Spanish ceramics and couldn't find the item).It led to a site called Magazine: Placeres with a story "Woody Y La Tortilla" which I was unable to read due to my very limited Spanish but it's something to do w/Woody Allen and it seems he may have gotten a tortilla that he didn't like at some prestigious restaurant.(You can all have a good laugh if I'm totally off on that one!!) Anyway MM, I noticed the phrase "tortilla de patatas" was mentioned. But as you say..a more colloquial style maybe drops the "de".

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: karenwishart ]

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: karenwishart ]

#28441 - 12/07/01 04:54 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
Felix Offline

Loc: madrid
Nobody here in Spain call it "tortilla patata" (without de).What I am not sure is if the correct term is "tortilla de patata" or "tortilla de patatas". I will guess for "tortilla de patatas" but i am not 100% sure. It's also called tortilla española.

#28442 - 12/07/01 05:44 PM Re: Need recipe for tortilla de patatas
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
I say "tortilla de patata" but maybe "tortilla de patatas" is also correct. What I have never heard is "tortilla patata". To make it, I use a gira tortilla, in fact, we call "viradeira" because my father bought it in Galicia. It's a very useful ceramical plate but it's not common having it in Spanish homes. Most people just turn it with a plate or a lid.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2434 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments