Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#28392 - 12/03/01 04:54 AM World Cup 2002
nevado Offline

I'm so excited- just got my ticket confirmations to see Spain in the World Cup! Should be a great event, can't wait! Anyone else out there plan on going? Maybe we can hook up and celebrate!

#28393 - 12/03/01 05:31 AM Re: World Cup 2002
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Pardon my stupidity, but does the World Cup take place in Spain this year? And what are Spain's chances of winning? (Sorry, I've never been much of a fútbol fan)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28394 - 12/03/01 06:36 AM Re: World Cup 2002
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Uff... how can you not know about the Mundial? Blasphemy!

It's in Japan and Korea, and Spain is definitely a possibility to win it. Other favorites are Argentina and France (yay!)

#28395 - 12/03/01 06:44 AM Re: World Cup 2002
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
In Spain? !Ojala! It's in Japan + South Korea (they're sharing it). The USA have qualified by the way. I think their qualification group included such greats as the Inuit Nation Ice-football 2nd XI, the Haiti Voodoo All-Stars (undead), and the Hawai Surf-Dudes Sunday League Poseurs. The USA finished joint first on points, but went through on Per-Capita Income. wink

The first round groups have been announced. Spain's looks great (ie. easy), while England's looks terrible!

#28396 - 12/03/01 09:29 AM Re: World Cup 2002
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Nevado, WOW! You're going to JAPAN (or Korea?) to see Spain play in the world cup??!!? My goodness!! Those tickets must have been difficult AND expensive to get. So Spain is one team expected to do well? That's great. When does the competition begin and when is Spain's first game? GO SPAIN!!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28397 - 12/03/01 10:11 AM Re: World Cup 2002
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Competition starts 31st May, 2002. Spain play Slovenia (who?) on 2nd June. (USA play Portugal, 5th June). ALl dates are here in
El Pais http://www.elpais.es/multimedia/deportes/sedes.html

#28398 - 12/03/01 11:09 AM Re: World Cup 2002
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
El Boqueron - I, for one, have missed your wonderful sense of humor - good to see you back! Now CaliBasco, Wolf and a few others will have a run for their puns .... (bad :o :o :o )

#28399 - 12/03/01 01:50 PM Re: World Cup 2002
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
I'd love to see Spain do well but let's face it - you're probably the biggest under-achievers ever! Always have a great team and a great chance but you ALWAYS disappoint!
Let's hope you do well though (as long as it's not at Englands expense!).

We here in England would rather see Spain win it than France or Germany!

Good luck!

#28400 - 12/03/01 09:09 PM Re: World Cup 2002
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Sorry Boqueron!

Despite have qualified by bettering the tough Hatiain squad, and the Inuit Nation the USA grouping is quite favourable- Poland, Korea, and Portugal. Whereas, England has been rewarded with Nigeria, Argentina, and Sweeden (Already refered to as the "Death Group"). Despite a tough Portugal club, the USA will likely advance and England, the inventors of the game, will be getting an early start on 2006. Then again, the US squad was defeated by the international powerhouse of Iran in 1998. So it is possible that Americans and Brits may start preparing for 2006 early. laugh

Returning to the Liga (This is an All Spain Board), What has been the reaction in Spain and Europe over Paco Gallardo's unique congratulatory gesture?
For details on this extraordinary salutation
http://www.soccernet.com/columns/2001/1203/20011203featball.html

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Shawn ]

#28401 - 12/04/01 08:15 AM Re: World Cup 2002
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Yes, a good draw for Spain. The same people who fix La Liga eek and referees etc in favour of Real Madrid must be temporarily working for the Spanish national team now..... wink

#28402 - 12/04/01 12:38 PM Re: World Cup 2002
Asterault Offline

Ummm...inventors of the game? Wasn't that the Aztecs? Sorry, but we will give them that cricket stuff and that Scottish thing with the throwing telephone poles around. smile

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Asterault ]

#28403 - 12/04/01 01:10 PM Re: World Cup 2002
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
My mate Angus McSporran has a message for you, which I said I would pass on ....

"Och laddie..... dinna go mixin' up us Scottish haggis eaters with those English sassenachs on the other side of the Wall. Hoots, mon, we're the only ones daft enough to go tossing those cabers while dressed in a girlie skirt!"

I think that's what he said rolleyes

#28404 - 12/04/01 03:07 PM Re: World Cup 2002
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
We are still in the planning stages, but I might be in Spain for the beginning of the World Cup. That would be fun. I was in Ecuador during the '94 World Cup and the level of interest was amazing even though Ecuador had never qualified (until this year). That experience, as well as seeing the US beat Colombia as the only American in a Quito hostal full of Europeans turned me on to international soccer. And then I went to a Sports Bar in the ritziest hotel to see Houston beat the Knicks in Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

The USA, barring continued injury problems, will be much better than the dismal performance of 1998. The coach at the time (Steve Sampson) made alot of unnecessary changes to a unit that was pretty good during qualifying. Bruce Arena is a great coach and will make sure the best 11 are on the field.

The times of the games may be better in Spain too. If I read the schedule correctly, the 6-5 USA / Portugal game will be at 12:30 PM in Spain as opposed to 6:30 AM in the States.
And the USA / South Korea game will be at 8:30 AM in Spain as opposed to 2:30 AM in the States. Best success to both the USA and Spain! !!U-S-A!! !! Es - pa - ña !!

#28405 - 12/04/01 05:11 PM Re: World Cup 2002
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Asterault,

The Aztecs played a similar game to football/soccer, but the rules are still not well understood. Anyway, the Aztecs were getting their kicks in the 15th century, whereas the English did so many centuries earlier. I have included a link to shed some historical light on this game.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa/history_e.html

Besides, the Aztecs were too busy sharpening their obsidian knives to play much. eek

#28406 - 12/05/01 01:34 AM Re: World Cup 2002
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Yeah, Shawn...at least the modern-day soccer hooligan got the violent reaction to losing right from the Aztecs. I'm sure if they had their druthers, human sacrifice would be "just another part of the FIFA rules".

As for the groupings, Spain is into the second round, underachievers or not. Of course we all know that the greatest underachievers of all time, Holland, aren't even invited to the party. At least they won't have to suffer another ignominious exit. As for Spain, mucho talento, poco valor a la hora de la verdad...¡y vaya qué pena! I look for a break in the racha de mala suerte they've had in copas past.

The llamada "grupo de la muerte" for England, Sweden, Argy and Nigeria is terrific, for those not in Group F. Gee I wish I was Russia right now...I see them with nine points and the others all tied with three after group of scoreless ties. Might Japan and So. Korea be the first-ever host nations NOT to make it out of round-robin play? Well, at least we know they won't duplicate France's miracle from '98.

Thanks for posting on the "pene"-lty play, Shawn. Here's another take from ESPN.com: http://www.soccernet.com/columns/2001/1203/20011203featball.html Make special note of the surname of the author of this story... rolleyes I must admit that although I liked Leandro's doggie-whiz action :D, I'm not into sniffing anyone's partes privadas...yikes! eek

#28407 - 04/29/02 09:04 PM Re: World Cup 2002
Q-Man Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
Allow me to bring this old thread back to life. I am a big soccer fan and I wil be in Spain (for the first time) from May 29 to the en of June. The Japan-Korea World cup runs from May 31 until June 30. I have the following questions:

1. Will they broadcast the soccer matches live on TV?
2. Do they have anything similar to sport bars to watch the games?

Please help me on nning my trip around The Cup ! laugh

-Ed

P.S. My wife (who is NOT a soccer fan) is asking me to forget about the cup. But....Impossible!....No way!......

#28408 - 04/30/02 07:09 AM Re: World Cup 2002
Miguelito Offline

I think the matchs will be in the morning (Spanish time) so lot of people will be working.
The matches of Spain will be in open TV, I don't know about the others. But anyway, almost of them will be in all the bars with a TV. I think all TVs in bars will be connected to any futball program during these days, the only problem is the difference of hour between Spain and Korea.

#28409 - 04/30/02 09:00 AM Re: World Cup 2002
Q-Man Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
Thank you Miguelito! This is great news! I will keep the World Cup schedule handy (in my pocket) during my trip to Spain! My wife is thrilled with the news wink

-Ed

#28410 - 04/30/02 09:26 AM Re: World Cup 2002
windcheater Offline

Loc: japan
does anyone know whether terrestial tv will be showing the world cup, and by that i mean all of it? back in the uk sattelite channels aren't allowed to get their grubby hands on it....yet, is it the same here?
cheers in advance

#28411 - 04/30/02 03:35 PM Re: World Cup 2002
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
In Spain, Via Digital (satellite channel) bought the rights to air the 2002 and 2006 World Cups; however yesterday they came to an agreement with Antena 3 (an "open" channel) so they could give some matches (the spanish selection ones, semifinals and final among others).

#28412 - 04/30/02 07:41 PM Re: World Cup 2002
caminante Offline

I don't know where "home" is, but in the US, at least 9 games including the title will be over the air on ABC and the rest will be on ESPN and ESPN2 of cable TV. Univision will broadcast all games over the air in Spanish. Most games will be live. !U-S-A! !Es-pa-ña!

#28413 - 05/15/02 08:58 PM Re: World Cup 2002
gregory Offline

Loc: southeast
notyor
Member # 2102

posted 12-03-2001 01:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd love to see Spain do well but let's face it - you're probably the biggest under-achievers ever! Always have a great team and a great chance but you ALWAYS disappoint!
Let's hope you do well though (as long as it's not at Englands expense!).
We here in England would rather see Spain win it than France or Germany!

Good luck!

Just been reading about all the good wishes for Spain and then I read the above!!!! Wow I am amazed! whats wrong if THESE Germans would have won??? Really I think this is a rather nasty remark toward France and Germany. I must talk with my English and my French Friends about this. Greg

#28414 - 05/15/02 09:36 PM Re: World Cup 2002
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Yes, Caminante, all World Cup matches will be broadcast live here in the States....AT 3AM!! Hope you have a flexible AM work schedule or a sympathetic boss.

In '94 the Cup was here in the USA, and I went to see Spain beat Bolivia 3-1 at Soldier Field. The game was typical futbol (long stretches of yawning punctuated by moments of thrilling action), but the crowds of Spaniards and Bolivians were out of sight. I'll never forget the marching crowds of Spanish fans heading down Michigan Ave. to the stadium, chanting and waving flags, yelling out challenges to groups of Bolivian backers. Hope those of you lucky enough to be heading to Japan & South Korea back Spain as loudly and as colorfully as then.

#28415 - 05/16/02 07:47 AM Re: World Cup 2002
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I posted this before in another message, but it seems more appropriate in this thread. Here's the schedule for the World Cup. Spain's first game is June 2nd and the USA's first game is June 16th:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/t/s/g.html

Go USA!

-Russ

#28416 - 05/16/02 08:04 AM Re: World Cup 2002
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
I will have the pleasure of being in Madrid on June 2. smile What time (in Madrid) is the first game and will it be broadcast or pay per view??

Thanks!

#28417 - 05/16/02 02:01 PM Re: World Cup 2002
caminante Offline

The first US game is June 5 vs Portugal (I believe it's at 5:00 AM ET). I will lose sleep to see the US play. Hey it's only a few games every four years! Go USA! !Es-pa-ña!

#28418 - 05/16/02 03:35 PM Re: World Cup 2002
jaimemiguel Offline

I was referring to the first Spanish game (June 2). The FIFA schedule says game time is 20:30. Is that Seoul time? The World Clock says that Seoul is +7 hours relative to Madrid. So does that mean that the match starts at 13:30 Madrid time?

#28419 - 05/21/02 07:17 AM Re: World Cup 2002
nevado Offline

Kurt, I'll be there with bells on and I've already got my Spanish flag ready!!!! Look for me on the 12th (Spain vs. South Africa)! Maybe I'll take a sign or something...can someone think of anything catchy for the MM fans???? You KNOW I'll do it! And I'll scream like mad!

Caminante, I'll be at that match...not sure if you'll be able to see me with all the Americans there???

I don't know how big this is going to be but...my husband is playing for Spain in a FIFA friendly match in Seoul on the 1st of June. All the participating countries are going to be represented. I'll take my Spanish flag and be the crazy one on the sidelines (ready to go in if they need me)! smile

#28420 - 05/27/02 11:47 AM Re: World Cup 2002
shaun not shawn Offline

I'm living in Madrid, but don't have (or want to pay for) Via Digital to view the World Cup games for my countries (Ireland and England - if you wanted to know!).

As the games are on at 08:30/11:30/13:30 does anyone know if any big TV sports bars will be open at these times? I like a nice guiness but not usually at 8:30am, so I've got no idea!

Pity about Roy Keane...

#28421 - 05/27/02 01:28 PM Re: World Cup 2002
Asterault Offline

I think some games are on TVE, or else every pub in the country. Spain starts against Slovenia, who's squad represents 25% of their population. The United States will, after catching Beverly Hills 90210 and a fine meal of Whoppers(TM), start against Korea, who I believe have sent their finest high school team to face them. laugh

#28422 - 05/27/02 08:14 PM Re: World Cup 2002
jaimemiguel Offline

All,
thanks for your responses - and your good-natured jabs! wink Bad news for me - my trip was postponed. mad

I think I'll be there mid-July where I'll experience better tv coverage of Lance's Tour of that little country to Spains north. cool

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1500 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments