Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#28382 - 12/01/01 11:07 AM Re: La Casera in the USA?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Shula,
If my memory serves me it was either 1993 or 1994 at the American Library Association Annual convention, and I believe it was on or before 9th and Ocean Drive, it was a Hispanic sidewalk cafe, very pricey but it had great music.
I had never tried La Casera before but wanted a refreshing drink and my friend told me to try it. The waiter said I would find it in the local grocery stores, but certainly not in Miami Beach. I scoured all the Winn Dixie's and Publix stores from So Beach to Sunny Isles without any luck. I've since looked in Miami at the Hispanic groceries and discount stores and no luck yet. laugh

#28383 - 12/01/01 01:45 PM Re: La Casera in the USA?
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
My brother in law imports food from Spain and works with Cuetara. I will ask him about buying Casera. I live on South Beach and haven't thought to ask or look for it. Next time I go to Macarena I will.

Speaking of yummy Spanish foodstuffs ... a friend of mine is also in the cargo/import biz. Last night we sampled some packaged tortillas the manufacturer gave him -- patatas, chorizo, bacalao. Mmm! You can warm them up in a frying pan or microwave. They last for three months prior to opening and while nothing beats a homemade one, these were delicious. Apparently these are the tortillas busy moms buy in Spain. They are big sellers in Japan and other markets. Hopefully they'll start importing them into the states. I'll let you know when they do!

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#28384 - 12/01/01 02:32 PM Re: La Casera in the USA?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hi!

I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned how delicious 'gaseosa' La Casera is mixed with beer! In Spain a lot of people, like myself, have this mix called 'clara', when having tapas, that way you can drink more without getting dizzy or 'alegre' so soon!!! :p (Some people use Sprite or 7up with beer, but gaseosa is best)
In the summer, when it's REALLY hot, having a chilled clara drunk from a 'porron'(special Spanish wine jug) is the best thing one can hope for!!!
And also in the summer AND with gaseosa we make 'tinto de verano', which is Casera(or some other brand, but this one's the best) with a little bit of red wine. Mmmn! cool

Cheers, & have a great weekend!

#28385 - 12/02/01 07:19 PM Re: La Casera in the USA?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Sierra Mist is a Pepsi product sold here on the West Coast, at least. It is not as sweet as Sprite or 7 up and we have found that our sangria is lighter and more refreshing with it instead of Sprite/7up.
ChurroC, please let me know if you find out anything on importing La Casera from your friend, our restaurant here is dying to get a lead on La Casera.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: laduque ]

#28386 - 12/02/01 07:33 PM Re: La Casera in the USA?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
While it is true that Tienda.com is a little pricey, I figure it is lots cheaper for me to buy the item I have a craving for from them than it would be to fly to Spain for it. Yes, flying to Spain would be lots more fun, but REALLY, it is not possible for most of us to pack up and go to Europe whenever we have a craving for a bocadillo de chorizo.

As for leads...try submitting a request to Trader Joe's. They are now carrying queso manchego as a regular product (along with other Spanish cheeses) and have several other Spanish imports. They also carry a (pardon my French!) FRENCH product that might be closer to La Casera than our soft drinks.

#28387 - 01/08/02 10:52 PM Re: La Casera in the USA?
churrocaliente Offline

hey everyone, I remember this post from early december. I went to Las 5 JJJJJ (cinco jotas) today in Miami and they had whole shelves lined up with bottles of La Casera!!! About $2.99 liter (or 3/4 liter?). Anyway, it's a great market/deli/bakery in the center of Miami ... not far from the airport. They had soooo many delicious imports plus a great eat in or take out menu.

#28388 - 01/09/02 07:47 AM Re: La Casera in the USA?
shula Offline

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
I'm going to find a way to get there, you don't happen to have a street address or phone number, do you?[email]null[/email] laugh

#28389 - 01/09/02 10:18 AM Re: La Casera in the USA?
ChicaGuay Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
Hi, Shula! I emailed you, but just in case here it the info: Las 5 JJJJJ, 7384 SW 40 St (Bird Road), Miami, tel. 305-265-4045, they have the smaller bottle for 2.99 and the large bottle for 5.99, they open inclusive Sat., til 6 pm and Sun til 4 pm. You would not believe the bunch of Spain stores that are opening up here in the Miami area.

Hey ChurroCaliente! Now that you mention Cuetara, if you go to Sedanos, they all carry the line of Cuetara goodies, and also the BIMBO line, and a WHOLE bunch of Spain stuff! I have one across from where I live and I buy all those goodies there! laugh

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#28390 - 01/09/02 12:07 PM Re: La Casera in the USA?
churrocaliente Offline

Hey Chicaguay,

Thanks for posting the info on 5 JJJJJs! Did you see the bocatas on their menus??? YUM!!! I also noticed they had churros at breakfast time ... I will have to make a special trip to the "mainland" one morning.

About Cuetara - my brother in law imports their goods into the US, so I am getting free stuff all the time. He also gives me samples from other companies. Like the other day, a bag of rice and jar of white beans from SOS. Que rico!!!

Churrito laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments