Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#28326 - 11/14/01 02:54 PM Here we go! Restaurants by region!
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
La Rioja:
Haro: Terete, c/General Franco--very good, moderately priced meals; lamb is excellent; lowest priced house wine exceeded my expectations..a good recommendation by our waitress; many locals dine here; very casual surroundings with seating at long wooden tables
LaGuardia: Antigua Bodega de Don Cosme Palacio, Carretera de Elciego, outside of LaGuardia--good food, short menu, excellent wines; "refined" but rustic atmosphere; waiter a bit stand-offish but could have been because he was the only one working that night!!

Guipúzcoa:
Hondarríbia: ARRAUNLARI, Paseo Butrón, by the Malecón--absolutely the greatest, most exquisite meal I have ever had!!; elegantly casual surroundings; lovely, professional service; the menú del día (Menú Bidasoa) at 4200 pesetas per person included marvelous seafood dishes, a great house wine (white) and a fantastic dessert platter (trio of upscale desserts). Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, the waitress brought us a plate of small, creamy, intensively rich chocolate balls...Need I say more? Total bill: $50 for the two of us. Estupendo!
Hondarribia: Don't know the name of this restaurant but it's on a hill, by the church and ruins outside of the town; easily visible (and walkable) from Casa Iketxe; good home-cooking (get the beans--it's a fabada type dish), cider available, very friendly service; cheap!
Hondarribia: Leukona, c/San Pedro--very popular bar/restaurant good for wine and tapas/raciónes.
Hondarribia: Gran Sol Taberna Jatelxea (hope I got the spelling right, it's really difficult to read the name on their "card"), c/San Pedro--nice tapas bar offering excellent, innovative tapas and raciónes; some tables; slightly older more sophisticated clientele.

Cantabria:
Comillas: Hostal Esmeralda, c/Antonio López--Gilberto cooked up a wonderful shellfish soup, steak with patatas fritas and roasted peppers (no room for dessert!); very good house wine; small, but classy, hostal restaurant with personalized service provided by the friendly and attentive Gilberto.
Comillas: Restaurant on the street behind the Esmeralda (maybe someone knows the name); great food, friendly service; popular with the locals (many young adults); moderate
Comillas: Bar Filipinas, at the crossroads into town--busy, noisy bar/restaurant with good cheap vino tinto, tasty tapas/raciónes and, by the looks of it, great cheap meals; a local clientele; dishes were coming out of the kitchen at an unparalled pace.

Castilla/León:
Turegano: El Zaguán, Plaza de España--great food; somewhat innovative (try the red peppers with dollops of garlic cream or the rape in a cream sauce) or one of the local favorites, cochifrito--sorry, I didn't care for it--in a lovely restaurant (horno de asar)in a totally restored building in a corner of the plaza; very friendly and helpful service provided by the wonderful Monica, a young, smiling Colombian girl who is practically part of the family; the menú del día is very reasonably priced; otherwise, moderate.
Segovia: Jose María, c/Cronista Lecea off of the Plaza Mayor--very popular, bustling restaurant with cochinillo asado (portion appears large but turns out to be rather skimpy, I thought) a specialty; appears to be the "in" place with well-dressed locals; good food but perhaps overpriced?

Extremadura:
Trujillo: Mesón La Troya, Plaza Mayor--a typical mesón offering a reasonable menú del día with many choices (verbally recited, no written menu, listen closely!); huge portions of "home-style" cooking; tortilla and salad are on your table before you've had a chance to grab your napkin!; service is rushed but we simply refused to hurry (as a result, we were the last patrons to leave and had to pay the dueña at her table!)

Castilla/La Mancha:
Toledo: Los Cuatro Tiempos, c/Sixto Ramón Parro (near the cathedral)--a very reasonable and wonderful menú del día (but notice that it does NOT include wine) in classy surroundings with dignified, professional service; good value, especially for such a central location in Toledo.
Toledo: Mille Grazie, c/Cadena--Looking for something different? This is an Italian Ristorante e Pizzería in the heart of Toledo. (We must have circled the area a half dozen times before asking at a local shop for directions and finding that it was "right down the street," of course!); huge selection of pasta, pizza, veal/chicken, etc. (After soup and pasta, we chose to "share" a tender, tasty veal marsala followed by two great desserts--tiramisú and some other creamy concoction)in a pretty, interestingly decorated and comfortable room; moderate.

Madrid Province:
Madrid: Restaurante Casa Valencia, Paseo del Pintor Rosales (not terribly far from the Plaza de España)--a very busy restaurant popular with well-dressed businessmen, couples, etc.; a very large selection of rice dishes with paella valenciana highly in demand; good onion soup, fantastic mushrooms; great desserts; gorgeous surroundings (notice the crystal chandeliers with dangling grapes!); excellent service; approximately $50 for two (three courses plus excellent white house wine).
Madrid: many restaurants all over the city--just peek inside to see that the diners are locals and then check the menu (posted outdoors) for prices; many menús del día for 1200 pesetas per person--a terrific bargain!; While waiting at the bar for an available table, we ordered some vino tinto...and received a nice platter of gambas a la plancha free! In another small, neighborhood restaurant where we had ordered the menú, I spied a nearby dessert (ponche segoviana...wow!) which was not an included choice. The owner explained that there would be a small supplement (200 pesetas)...no problem.
Tapas bars: We spent the evenings frequenting numerous bars on streets adjacent to the Gran Vía, on tiny streets off of the Plaza Mayor (great bocadillos de calamare for 200 pesetas and a glass of wine for 100 pesetas!), etc. I was amazed at how many places served free tapas, and not just olives! Overall, we found Madrid to be a great bargain (for eating, drinking and sleeping)--a welcome surprise in such a sophisticated capital city.

P.S. Please keep in mind that I've never met a wine I didn't like but I'm fairly critical of food.

P.P.S. Madridman, please feel free to edit my ramblings!

wink wink

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Carole Chiaro ]

#28327 - 11/14/01 03:35 PM Re: Here we go! Restaurants by region!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WOWEE!!! eek Thanks, Carole Chiaro!!!! My goodness! What a complete report! You've just helped many many many people for their future dining outings. You're the best!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28328 - 11/17/01 10:37 AM Re: Here we go! Restaurants by region!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Carole - Now you've done it - I'm homesick and starving. Thanks for all the info!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2698 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments