Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#28273 - 11/11/01 06:49 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
While in Jaen in September I purchased some olive oil, because I wanted to try it.

First, I noticed the clarity of the oil, it has a lighter taste, and it appears to cook at a lower temperature. I am comparing it to the olive oil purchased here in Michigan at the local stores.

Does anyone know where I can order Spainish Olive Oil online and have shipped to the USA? I like it and I am running out!

#28274 - 11/11/01 07:35 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Gsobotta,
A barcelonés acquaintance of mine owns a company that does just that, they import typical Spanish goods into the US. However, it's run from NY, and ever since the October attacks the site has been having problems I'm afraid. But do contact him at: www.gourmetguru.com

Buenas noches a todos!

#28275 - 11/12/01 09:40 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Thanks pim

The website is under construction, I will try again later

gsobotta

#28276 - 11/12/01 09:58 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It has been demostrated that olive oil is the most healthy fat for human consume.

It degradates slower when heated, has better properties for frying (as for example, food takes less oil when fried with oilve oil), has less calories and is better for colesterol.

It seems as if the only problem is that is more expensive than the rest ô_ò

Regards

Fernando
(Who eat with olive oil every single day)

#28277 - 11/13/01 01:20 AM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
My esposo LOVES arroz con tomate frito!
The one thing he misses most is tomate frito (fried tomato sauce) not to be mistaken for ketchup!! We buy that and Spanish olive oil through La Espanola Meats in CA.
I know MM has a link through Tienda.com and I think they also have tomate frito.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#28278 - 11/14/01 02:00 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
gsobotta - Tienda.com an excellent selection of olive oils - the newest one in their line is fantastic. Believe it is still at an introductory price - click on the Tienda.com banner above and you'll get connected directly to the site.

Chef Fernando - mucho gracias for the yummy recipe! I tried it over the weekend - and it is ever so much better than what Americans refer to as Spanish rice which is often mushy. By all means - use fresh tomatoes and just chop them up and saute them with garlic in olive oil. (this can actually be done before adding the cooked rice to the pan - see Fernando's initial post). Keep these wonderful family-style recipes coming please!

Jo-anne - delete the marmite(ugh!!!!) From the five years I lived in Australia that was the ONLY thing I could never learn to love - or even like!

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Puna ]

#28279 - 11/14/01 05:21 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
For Spanish olive oil, those that live near Trader Joes are in luck. They carry it and it is wonderful. They also have white asparagus (canned in glass, of course).

#28280 - 11/14/01 06:40 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
OK, as promised here's the recipe for another one of my favourite easy-tapas:

CANAPÉ DE BERENJENA Y SOLOMILLO

Cut some slices of French bread about 0.9 inches thick, and toast them on both sides in a preheated pan. When finished, an on just one side, pour a few drops of olive oil and also rub them with a ripe half tomato cut in half so its juice soaks the bread a little bit.
Now, take 3.5 ounces of tenderloins, for ten toasts or canapés aproximately, and add salt and a little pepper to them. Fry these pieces in a pan with two tablespoons of olive oil for twenty or thirty seconds each side. Place each one on a toast.
Prepare a little bit of a liquid mixture of water and regular flour a little salt and no lumps! If you wait a little it'll somehow thicken by itself and be perfect, so in the meantime....
Cut the eggplant in thin slices once washed. Start dipping the slices in 'our little secret mixture', allowing the excess to drip, and fry them in a pan with enough olive oil. Then place on top of the meat.
¡YA ESTÁ! smile

Simpler & quicker version:

Skip the eggplant and the 'tomato rubbing' part altogeher, and just place thin slices of tomato on top of the canapé.

ENJOY!!!

pim

#28281 - 11/15/01 04:12 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
What a coincidence, my friend from Madrid made some macarones (penne) with a spicy spanish chorizo yesterday. (We all live in Miami Beach ... the recipe was her invention). She made a tomate frito sauce, but cheated a little, "frying" canned, peeled tomatoes and then simmering them.

MMM MMM MMM!!! QUE RICO!!!

laugh

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#28282 - 11/15/01 04:45 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I've decided that my next trip to Madrid will include an opportunity for all our online friends living there to tempt me with their wonderful cooking talents... laugh I'll make it a point to allow them to cook me a wonderful meal, and the winner of the contest gets the right to adopt me... eek The losers of the contest will get me as a visitor to their tables on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays... smile I have to be fair about this you know... wink

Oh! I'll bring my own plate, and silver ware if that helps...

Wolf (Who would probably end up having to be carried on a truck from Fernando & pim's places after he ate up all their scrumptious food.)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments