Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#28293 - 11/16/01 03:21 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hi there!
Wow Fernando I'm impressed by your recipe for 'salsa brava'! smile
However, for those lazier ones, like me I guess; here's the way I prepare it at home. This isn't "estilo madrileño" though, the majority of bars in Madrid don't use any mayonnaise, but they do in other regions, and I recommend it!
Also, many of us say 'papas bravas' instead of patatas bravas.

You just have to mix mayonnaise; homemade is best of course, in Spain many people use sunflower oil (only for this, please olive oil for everything else!), and an egg, salt and a few drops of lemon or vinegar; "tomate frito" sauce (again), and whatever amount of drops of tabasco sauce each one can endure! :p, you just heat up this mixture in a saucepan for a while, and it's ready!

Hi Churrocaliente, the potatoes should be diced and then fried. wink

paloma

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: pim ]

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: pim ]

#28294 - 11/16/01 03:33 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It is a pleasure to share all this recipes with the community smile

Pim, you are right. I have tasted the bravas with mahonese and they are even better! And yes, there are other recipes different from the one I posted (I have just posted a new one very closed to yours in the other topic).

Of one thing I'm sure: The salsa has to include tomato sauce and it has to be spicy smile

Fernando

#28295 - 11/16/01 04:04 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
pim Offline

Churrocaliente, your friend from Madrid didn't "cheat" :), using canned peeled tomatoes, beating, and frying them is a more authentic way to prepare 'salsa de tomate frito' than just opening a can of fried tomato sauce, in fact that's how most of our moms and grannies do it!(with some salt and a little bit of sugar for the sourness(=acidez)
Try it sometime adding a banana cut in half, floured a little and then fried, it is sooo yummy!

¡Que aproveche!

#28296 - 11/16/01 07:34 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Sorry MM, I did list you site as the source of where I discovered their website. Since this will not be my first purchase, I will make all further inquiries through the website.

I received my order today. To celebrate, made Shellfish Paella, I used the smoked paprika ordered and what a difference!

Thanks Fernando

#28297 - 11/17/01 06:20 AM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
josemacall Offline

Loc: Galapagar(Madrid)
gsobotta, the white and cold soap you tried in Andalucia is 'ajo blanco' or 'white garlic'.
I hope this, and my bad English, will help:

Recipe for 6 people.-

150 gr of almonds.
2 teeth of garlic.
The soft part of a bread of 250 gr. (?)
2 spoons of vinegar.
2/3 of a glass (wine one) of fine olive oil (never with other kind, of course).
Water and salt.

Put the bread in cold water for 1/2 hour.
If almonds are not peeled, peel them, and left them in warm (not hot) water for a some minutes. Then you must pressdown them with your finger to take the wetting almonds.
Use a beater (is this correct the name of this machine?) for, in this order, mix:
1.- The bread (drained off).
2.- The garlic.
3.- The almonds.
4.- The oil.
5.- The vinegar.

Once you have mixed all off this, add salt, and left it in the refrigetor for 2 hours at least.

Before service, add a little of frozen water (not ice) to the Ajo Blanco, as it gets the density you desire.

Also you can add some fruits as peeled grapes, fragments of melon.

#28298 - 11/17/01 10:54 AM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Fernando - now you know just one more reason why all of us keep coming back to Spain! wink And LaTienda has less expensive products than many of their competitors... The $25 USD olive oil you referred to must be the huge container. eek
Wolf - how do I join the your very official sounding 'Tasters Union' ? Seems every single post over the last few days has been food related - and as per a different thread and in view of sounding redundant - I'm starving!!!

#28299 - 11/17/01 11:45 AM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Tia Offline

You are most welcome to the Tasters Union (what a great name), Puna! I´m sure the leading arbiter, the one and only ravenously hungry Wolf, appreciates your cooperation.

Fernando, do you have some delicious recipes with my favourite vegetable aubergine?

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: Tia ]

#28300 - 11/17/01 08:03 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Thanks josemacall.

There were grapes in the soap. Your recipe is interesting; I think I can figure it out. I will have to give it try.

#28301 - 11/18/01 12:28 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Pim, when you say add a fried banana to the tomate frito, do you mean a the sweet kind (banano) or plantain (platano)? smile

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#28302 - 11/18/01 02:19 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
pim Offline

Hi 'Churro',
It's just a regular 'plátano' that added to the fried egg and the rice with the tomato sauce make a dish called 'arroz a la cubana'.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1807 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments