Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#28293 - 11/16/01 03:21 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hi there!
Wow Fernando I'm impressed by your recipe for 'salsa brava'! smile
However, for those lazier ones, like me I guess; here's the way I prepare it at home. This isn't "estilo madrileño" though, the majority of bars in Madrid don't use any mayonnaise, but they do in other regions, and I recommend it!
Also, many of us say 'papas bravas' instead of patatas bravas.

You just have to mix mayonnaise; homemade is best of course, in Spain many people use sunflower oil (only for this, please olive oil for everything else!), and an egg, salt and a few drops of lemon or vinegar; "tomate frito" sauce (again), and whatever amount of drops of tabasco sauce each one can endure! :p, you just heat up this mixture in a saucepan for a while, and it's ready!

Hi Churrocaliente, the potatoes should be diced and then fried. wink

paloma

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: pim ]

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: pim ]

#28294 - 11/16/01 03:33 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It is a pleasure to share all this recipes with the community smile

Pim, you are right. I have tasted the bravas with mahonese and they are even better! And yes, there are other recipes different from the one I posted (I have just posted a new one very closed to yours in the other topic).

Of one thing I'm sure: The salsa has to include tomato sauce and it has to be spicy smile

Fernando

#28295 - 11/16/01 04:04 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
pim Offline

Churrocaliente, your friend from Madrid didn't "cheat" :), using canned peeled tomatoes, beating, and frying them is a more authentic way to prepare 'salsa de tomate frito' than just opening a can of fried tomato sauce, in fact that's how most of our moms and grannies do it!(with some salt and a little bit of sugar for the sourness(=acidez)
Try it sometime adding a banana cut in half, floured a little and then fried, it is sooo yummy!

¡Que aproveche!

#28296 - 11/16/01 07:34 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Sorry MM, I did list you site as the source of where I discovered their website. Since this will not be my first purchase, I will make all further inquiries through the website.

I received my order today. To celebrate, made Shellfish Paella, I used the smoked paprika ordered and what a difference!

Thanks Fernando

#28297 - 11/17/01 06:20 AM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
josemacall Offline

Loc: Galapagar(Madrid)
gsobotta, the white and cold soap you tried in Andalucia is 'ajo blanco' or 'white garlic'.
I hope this, and my bad English, will help:

Recipe for 6 people.-

150 gr of almonds.
2 teeth of garlic.
The soft part of a bread of 250 gr. (?)
2 spoons of vinegar.
2/3 of a glass (wine one) of fine olive oil (never with other kind, of course).
Water and salt.

Put the bread in cold water for 1/2 hour.
If almonds are not peeled, peel them, and left them in warm (not hot) water for a some minutes. Then you must pressdown them with your finger to take the wetting almonds.
Use a beater (is this correct the name of this machine?) for, in this order, mix:
1.- The bread (drained off).
2.- The garlic.
3.- The almonds.
4.- The oil.
5.- The vinegar.

Once you have mixed all off this, add salt, and left it in the refrigetor for 2 hours at least.

Before service, add a little of frozen water (not ice) to the Ajo Blanco, as it gets the density you desire.

Also you can add some fruits as peeled grapes, fragments of melon.

#28298 - 11/17/01 10:54 AM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Fernando - now you know just one more reason why all of us keep coming back to Spain! wink And LaTienda has less expensive products than many of their competitors... The $25 USD olive oil you referred to must be the huge container. eek
Wolf - how do I join the your very official sounding 'Tasters Union' ? Seems every single post over the last few days has been food related - and as per a different thread and in view of sounding redundant - I'm starving!!!

#28299 - 11/17/01 11:45 AM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Tia Offline

You are most welcome to the Tasters Union (what a great name), Puna! I´m sure the leading arbiter, the one and only ravenously hungry Wolf, appreciates your cooperation.

Fernando, do you have some delicious recipes with my favourite vegetable aubergine?

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: Tia ]

#28300 - 11/17/01 08:03 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Thanks josemacall.

There were grapes in the soap. Your recipe is interesting; I think I can figure it out. I will have to give it try.

#28301 - 11/18/01 12:28 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Pim, when you say add a fried banana to the tomate frito, do you mean a the sweet kind (banano) or plantain (platano)? smile

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#28302 - 11/18/01 02:19 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
pim Offline

Hi 'Churro',
It's just a regular 'plátano' that added to the fried egg and the rice with the tomato sauce make a dish called 'arroz a la cubana'.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3021 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments