Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#28283 - 11/15/01 05:39 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Tia Offline

Wolf, I´ve never heard of a one single person jury. rolleyes There must be at least two to three members... I can assure you, it won´t be hard to convince me to participate! :p Tia

#28284 - 11/15/01 05:49 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Tia,

Fantastic! With two of us, we should certainly be able to offer a good review... I'd bet we could get CaliBasco to join us, and the three of us could really make the rounds of the kitchens, and determine who gets to wear the chef's hats... laugh

Of course, we'll have to take our time deciding, getting several meals from each of the contestants, until we know we're getting the ratings right... wink After all, we don't want to make a mistake now, do we?

Wolf (Who's getting darned hungry right now and it isn't even 4 PM... I'm in big trouble... rolleyes Dinner isn't until about 7'ish..)

#28285 - 11/15/01 06:23 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Ok, I agree with that... ummm, something tells me that I'm being somewhat tricked... ummm. smile

Anyway. I consulted my cooking assistants (which in this case is my mother) and here I come with the recipe for the fried tomato sauce:

You have to buy 6 kilograms of red tomatoes, two big onions and, of course, some olive oil (you will find that this is a must-have in my recipes smile ).

The first thing you should do is to peal the tomatoes. This is better done if you boil them some minutes (just to soft the skin).

Then, in a saucepan, chop the two onions with 3 spoons of olive oil (3 which must be firstly cut into small pieces). Let it being cooked at moderate fire until they get translucent. Add a bit of salt and a spoon of sugar (yes, sugar smile ).

Then add the pealed and chopped tomatoes and stir them for some minutes. You must left there all the ingredients until it becomes a heavy sauce. You should stir from time to time.

Then get it out from the fire, let it cool down and stir until it gets a sauce.

You may freeze it and then heat it up in the microwave and it would be as good as just-done.

This sauce is very used in Spain. You may use it with all kinds of pasta, with rice, with meat, burguers, etc...

I hope to had being understood just a bit wink

Madridman, when are you going to open us a section for this recipes? :P

Wolf and Tia: You put the kitchen and I will cook wink

Fernando

#28286 - 11/15/01 06:38 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Fernando,

We intend eating at your house.... laugh

Kiss your mother for me. I lost my mother less than a year and a half ago, and wish I could do it one more time, and that I'd done it many more times, while I had a chance. frown

Wolf (Whose respect for Mothers includes his own wife, whom he cherishes.)

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Wolf ]

#28287 - 11/15/01 07:04 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Wolf: If it were my house you would be more than invited (I would even organize the meeting here), but unfortunately is my parent's house, and I think that if I use it for meetings I would sleep in the streets right the next day wink

Excuse me mom, leave it the kitchen, I have come with some friends which I have met over the Internet..no don't worry, we are just going to use the kitchen. Eeeek, I can imagine my mother in that situation and it is scarring... smile

I will kiss her for you. I'm sorry about your loss. That is always sad frown

But anyway, I think I could handle this little problem. If you don't come to the food the food will go to you (I will carry a tortilla de patatas with me wink ).

Fernando

#28288 - 11/15/01 08:18 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I ordered my Spanish Olive oil from www.latienda.com today; it should be here in a few days. Nearly a year ago, I adopted the Mediterranean diet and I only cook with olive oil. In many of my recipes, it is the only source of fat.

Fernando. While visiting Andalusia, I tasted a white cold soup with chopped almonds. Do you have an idea what it was? Do you have a recipe?

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: gsobotta ]

#28289 - 11/15/01 08:39 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

I have visited Tienda.com. It is very well, althought I was surprised to see that half a liter of olive oil costs 25$!!!!!

Do you know how much a liter costs in Spain??!! About a two dollars!!! My goodness, with that prices you have to treat is as gold. Too bad there are still taxes over the trade between our countries frown

gsobotta, the cool soup you tasted is called "ajoblanco", and is typical of the southeast of Andalusia. You may find the recipe in one of my posts in this board (you may search for it somewhere).

Anyway, mediterranean diet is the most healthy one. It is not me who says it, but many experts. That doesn't keep me to eating american food from time to time however wink

Fernando

#28290 - 11/15/01 08:56 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
gsobotta: What a shame. It seems you didn't click-through the Tienda.com banners on MadridMan.com as no sales have been registered today in my account with them. (Doh!! Someone shoot me! I'm starting to sound like jer... rolleyes ARGH!!!!) eek By the way, it seems Tienda.com also owns the LaTienda.com domain name and is forwarded to Tienda.com.

Fernando, can you give us a recipe for the BRAVA SAUCE which seems to be a big secret?? wink

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28291 - 11/15/01 10:20 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

The Brava Sauce: ¡Marchaaaaaando!

I have posted it in the other thread of this same section. Go ahead and taste it. I'm preparing another family recipe. You will suck your own fingers when you taste it...

Fernando

#28292 - 11/16/01 02:42 PM Re: Typical dishes: by chef Fernando :-)
Monica Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
laugh Fernando, how wonderful your sharing recipes with everyone. I was served the rice topped with a fried egg and tomato sauce as a starter for one of my dinners in Spain. I believe it was the night I was in Bilbao. This is off topic but thank you again for your earlier advice on Levi's, in another section of this message board.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2716 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments