Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28225 - 10/31/01 11:23 AM Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, folks--
You're sure to get a laugh from this. Enjoy!!
http://www.theonion.com/onion3739/spanish_restaurant.html

Tara smile

#28226 - 10/31/01 12:43 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Taravb,
Thank you for sharing laugh laugh laugh I needed a laugh this morning! I get this all the time, I bring Spanish dishes like Caldo Gallego, Fabada and Bacalao a la Viscaina to the faculty luncheons and the first question they ask me is if it has picante sauce or is Hot. You have no idea how many times I've had to explain that Spanish cuisine vaires from region to region, but it is definitely not Mexican cuisine (excellent cuisine that it is on it's own right) nor does it have the caribbean flavor as does Cuban or Puerto Rican cuisine ( Fantastic cuisine on its own right). laugh
The story was cute!
Booklady

#28227 - 10/31/01 12:58 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
HAhahhahahaha!!! That is TOO hilarious!! Thanks for posting the link, taravb!
Quote:
"I think it's just plain sneaky giving the place a Mexican name and making it look like a Mexican place."
Last time I checked, don Quix/jote was from Spain, not Mexico. And where did Mexican restaurants get their style, afterall?? hehehhehe.. (pssst! answer: mix of indigenous and Spanish art)
Quote:
"Though the words "authentic Spanish cuisine" are printed on Don Quixote's door, Bob said the restaurant should make more of an effort to make its identity clear to patrons."
And on goes the confusion/debate about the term "Spanish" and what it means to us here in the USA. rolleyes

Great/Funny article! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28228 - 10/31/01 02:26 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Thanks for sharing Taravb - the article is priceless - and I'm sure we all, at some time, have witnessed actions like that. Have printed out the article and plan to share it with friends who own a restaurant (and love Spain) on Martha's Vineyard this weekend! laugh

#28229 - 10/31/01 07:19 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Thanks for that.

It still amazes me, after many years of travelling to different countries, that the perception is that if you speak the same language (ie Spanish in this case) as another country, then you are the all the same. I'm from Australia, and I speak English, but we are different to the English, to the Americans, to the New Zealanders, to the South Africans, to the Canadians. The only similarities is our basic English language, although each country has its own variants which identify it from others.

What also amazes me, especially in this article, is the lack of knowledge that Don Quixote is of Spanish origin and not Mexican.

There is a big wide world out there and it's all different. Part of living is to experience new things and to evolve your lifestyle. If our ancestors didn't try new things we would still be living in caves and we wouldn't have the Internet in which to keep our sanity in check (especially if you are like me and can't wait to get back to Spain).

Once again thanks for the article.

David

#28230 - 10/31/01 08:09 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, again--
I just realized that some bulletin board folks may not be familiar with "The Onion"--just so that you don't think that all Pennsylvanians are clueless about Spanish food, you should know that "The Onion" is a parody newspaper that comes out every Wednesday--very irreverent, occasionally tasteless, and deliciously funny. Anyone with a quirky sense of humor (and a thick skin) might like to check out the rest of their work at http://www.onion.com.

Happy Halloween!
Tara

#28231 - 10/31/01 10:42 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
No offence to northeastern Pennsy folks, I loved them dearly...but the story doesn't surprise me. I lived several years in a town 35 miles from Scranton,(actually the county seat of Wayne Co.) after having traveled halfway around the world, and Italian and eventually Chinese were about as international as you could eat.I don't think they even had real bagels til 1980! "Authentic Spanish cuisine" in Scranton, that's amazing! I can't wait to go back to visit! I hope it's still there,

#28232 - 10/31/01 11:17 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Hi Tara

Thanks for the explanation re "The Onion".

Not knowing what the publication was actually all about, I took the article on face value, and not as a paridy which it was meant to be, which now reminds me of the old saying that "you shouldn't judge a book by its cover". It did however remind me of the many times that I have witnessed just that sort incident of happening throughout the World.

Never mind though, on reflection I am now enjoying it.

Thanks again

David

#28233 - 11/01/01 10:29 AM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Yes, but ... I have had some excellent meals in Mexico (mostly seafood) that anyone would have trouble differentiating from Spanish. And the Mexican cuisine has no 'corner' on picante. Your next time in Spain try some gambas (or champiñones) al ajillo. The guindillas (hot cherry peppers) are just as picante as our new world jalapeños. Tripa (menudo, in Mexico) is also served in a very hot sauce.
I am talking about 'sit down' restaurants in Mexico, D.F., not 'fast food' type tortilla or taco vendors. rolleyes
BTW
Booklady: You make a Favada Asturiana. Did you notice Hanibal Lechter in 'Silence of the Lambs' describing a Cannibalistic Favada?

I'm going to try to make it up to Scranton before Don Quixote goes the way of Joe's Restaurant (in Reading).

#28234 - 11/01/01 11:36 AM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Gotta love "The Onion." laugh

Thanks for the laugh. Daveb, it was funny, because it happens all the time here. When I came back to the States and told someone I had been living in Chile the last 2 years, they said "wow, you must have had great Mexican food there."

rolleyes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments