Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28184 - 10/17/01 05:21 PM Fine Dining!?!
new york Offline

Loc: NYC
I am spending four days in Madrid and four days in Barcelona in early November. I want to have one great dinner in each location and looking for comments or recomendations.
This is a splurge so price really isn't an option as much as a superb food and great atmosphere!! Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S I heard good things about Meson de Candido in Segovia and was wondering if anyone been there and is it worth? it? confused confused

#28185 - 10/17/01 07:03 PM Re: Fine Dining!?!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi new york!! I'm sure everyone has a great Fine Dining suggestion for you for Madrid (except me, that is... I almost always eat at "home" with the family of my ladyfriend). You may also want to try the SEARH link above/right and type RESTAURANT MADRID or SEGOVIA CANDIDO to find many many previously posted suggestions, especially for Candido. I've eaten there once, but only for lunch, at it was great, but I understand it has slipped in recent years. Group, what's the OTHER popular fine restaurant in Segovia??

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28186 - 10/17/01 07:15 PM Re: Fine Dining!?!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Mmm, I could just add my favourite restaurants in Madrid:

La Alpujarra (c/ Príncipe de Vergara) Great andalusian typical food, this is really one of my favourites, it has everything: Great food, great service, great ambience,... 5.000-6.000 ptas per person more or less

De María (near Plaza Castilla) The best argentinian cuisine in Madrid. Highly recommended restaurant if you like grilled meat, with some typical argentinian dishes. Superb. 4.000-5.000 ptas.

O Ferreiro (near Pº de la Castellana) Asturian typical food. Another great restaurant. Taste their fabada. Is terrific. 3.000-4.000 ptas.

Then I have cheaper and more expensive restaurants. It always depends on what you like. For example, if you like "marisco" (don't know the equivalent in english, I mean crabs, and such invertebrates) the best one is Combarro.

Other famous, and very expensive restaurants (which I'm sure you will enjoy) are Lhardy (typical Madrid's food), Jockey, Club 31, Asador Donostiarra, ... Beware: a meal in this places may cost up to 20.000 ptas per person.

Fernando

#28187 - 10/18/01 02:25 AM Re: Fine Dining!?!
andidiem Offline

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
If your are thinking about eating in Segovia I wouldn't go to Candido, better try La Oficina. Candido just has the name and the people who eat there usually are turists, so if you don´t want to be just one turist more try La Oficina or Jose Luis.

Enjoy your time here. laugh

#28188 - 10/18/01 09:04 AM Re: Fine Dining!?!
Brian Goldthorp Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Have a look at the Michelin red guide (for restaurants/hotels, as opposed to the green guide which is more general) for Spain. We used it last year and were really happy with the places we tried. Didn't use it in Madrid, as we were only there a few days and went almost exclusively to the tapas places around Plaza Santa Anna. However, the suggestions for Salamanca, Toledo, Jerez and a few other places were great. Hint - look for the "bib gourmand" suggestions - restaurants that don't have Michelin stars but are considered excellent and good value for the money.

#28189 - 10/18/01 10:54 AM Re: Fine Dining!?!
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Quick answer: La Valenciana on Paseo de Pintor Rosales (down past Templo de Debod). Elegant atmosphere. (Interesting crystal chandeliers.) Many well-dressed business people. Paella and rice-dishes featured. Everything was great!!

#28190 - 10/18/01 10:56 AM Re: Fine Dining!?!
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Oh, Jose Maria's is the newest "hot spot" in Segovia for dining on roast suckling pig. I'll check the address if you'd like but it's easy to find.

#28191 - 10/18/01 11:11 AM Re: Fine Dining!?!
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
La Cabana on Ventura de la Vega.....I can still taste the Bife.....get a table in the cellar after picking out your steak and watch it cook on the range.Intersting sauces to go and desserts to drool over.im drooling again just typing this.Definately worth checking out when in Madrid.

#28192 - 10/18/01 03:17 PM Re: Fine Dining!?!
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
I and a fellow Madridman member had a wonderful meal in Madrid last Sunday night at Restaurante Caniero on Calle Fernan Gonzalez in the block between Alcala and Calle de Goya near the Goya station on the #2 Metro Line. The price was very reasonable for such an attractive restaurant and the staff couldn´t have been any more gracious.

#28193 - 10/18/01 03:29 PM Re: Fine Dining!?!
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
Try La Gallette (near Velasquez), totally unique cuisine, but lovely environment. Oh, and try NILO Restaurante, located at Ortega y Gasset, 8 Tel: 91 431 60 60. This is such a great restaurant, I had to get a card and place it in my rolodex. It reminds me of dining in a fancy Beverly Hills Restaurant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2315 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments