Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#28142 - 10/06/01 04:38 AM Albariño Wines
el Perrito Offline

Loc: Suecia
I usually carry a couple of bottlesw of wine with me from my trips to Spain and last time i took two bottles of Albariño wine with me. I tried one out ( "Pazo de Villarei",very good) and decided to save the other one. Now to my question do these wines gain anything from ageing or could the contrary be true ? The wine I had was from the cosecha of 1999.

Many thanks in advance

#28143 - 10/06/01 05:05 AM Re: Albariño Wines
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I share your preference for Pontevedra wines but I don't think it is a very good idea to allow the Albariño to age in the bottle. Just be sure to keep the cork wet. They say that Albariño (or Rosal) doesn't travel well (i.e., it is not widely available), perhaps because the vintners don't add any sulfites to those excellent wines to increase their 'shelf life.' Ribeiro, its more widely available (but lesser quality) 'cousin' is exported more frequently.

So, your Albariño won't improve with age but it could deteriorate (become more acidic), especially if it is subjected to wide temperature changes. rolleyes

#28144 - 10/06/01 05:27 AM Re: Albariño Wines
el Perrito Offline

Many thanks Eddie. It's not so widely available as you say so it's difficult to get expertise advise about these wines. Yes I also believe the Ribeiro to be inferior.

About the wine and travelling. I'm no sure, since I have travelled the same roads as the wine will have to take from Galicia to Madrid and I belive the Albariño tastes great in Madrid too. But I have also tried ones that have been quite sour, thats true. I thought it was due to varying quality, though.

I won't have to be patient with the other bottle then. Cheers Eddie.

#28145 - 10/06/01 10:16 AM Re: Albariño Wines
el Perrito Offline

Eddie could this possibly be of any intrest to you ??

Wines

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#28146 - 10/06/01 10:29 AM Re: Albariño Wines
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
I am afraid you are in front of a delicate wine, so the soner the better you make it part of you. Keep it in a cold dark place on horizontal position. If you are back to Spain my Albariño choice would be "Allegro 2000" made by Martin Codax this one is more than ten "guia peñin" points over.

Cheers,
André

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1431 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments