Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#27979 - 08/03/01 06:18 PM Re: What do Spanish people eat at home?
Tia Offline

Leche,
I know what leche and nata is, but... what´s natilla? wink

Tia (who loves Danone yogur laugh )

#27980 - 08/04/01 03:15 PM Re: What do Spanish people eat at home?
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Mmmmmm! Ok here's what we often ate in my señora's home: lentejas with chorizo (my favorite, she made them special for me again last month when I visited); white bean soup; pollo al chilindrón (this wonderful chicken in brownish sauce with chopped peppers); ziti with meat sauce; salad with pieces of orange in it or salad with tuna and corn; a salad of eggs, potatoes, peppers, tuna, olives, and some other stuff; arroz con pollo; tortellini; these fried ham and cheese things that you put in the toaster oven; empanada de jamón y queso; puré de patatas (mashed potatoes) with cheese; stuffed peppers; potato soup; leek soup; some type of beef with onions and carrots in a gravy; calamares in their ink over rice (at which point I ran screaming from the room); arroz a la cubana (rice with tomato sauce, fried eggs and sausages on the side); cocido (a dish of sausage, meat, and rellenos) served with a salad of red pepper and tomato, garbanzos, and noodle soup; omelettes and tortilla; chicken with mushrooms. There is so much more but like GranadaGirl I think I've already put on 10 pounds...

#27981 - 08/06/01 03:41 AM Re: What do Spanish people eat at home?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tia:

"Natillas" are sth. like custard. In Spain, we do them many times with the same ingredients as "flan", if you know it (translation from my dict. for flan =custard tart), but usually you add some cinnamon on top.

Wonderful - I like them much more than the usual custard, when they are home made, and have milk enough.

#27982 - 08/06/01 02:00 PM Re: What do Spanish people eat at home?
Tia Offline

Sounds delicious, Ignacio. I´ve eaten flan before, but it´s usually served with some kind of syrup or brown sugar, isn´t it?

Tia (who is celebrating her membership on this board with a nice cup of "café con leche" made by her brandnew espresso maker) laugh

#27983 - 08/06/01 05:32 PM Re: What do Spanish people eat at home?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tia:

Flan is, natillas no, thy use to be served with cinnamon powder, just cinnamon in branch, or lemon skin on top.

If well done, they have more milk than flan, and are more liquid than custard.

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]

#27984 - 08/06/01 09:25 PM Re: What do Spanish people eat at home?
Bob27 Offline

Loc: Venice, CA
Jamon Jamon Ruffles kick-ass!

#27985 - 08/06/01 09:42 PM Re: What do Spanish people eat at home?
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Receta Campesina Lays and Rock n'Cream Doritos también! laugh

#27986 - 08/06/01 11:13 PM Re: What do Spanish people eat at home?
seul6 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
What about food shopping? How often do you guys go to the market?
When I lived briefly in Sevilla, I had to go to the market almost everyday, because it was a long walk to my apartment, and I could only carry so much. I found it so burdensome that I ended up eating out for the most part.
I would imagine that it is the same thing in Madrid. Since the average person don't own a car and is dependent on public transportation, is there a way for you to buy in bulk, and not make several trips to the store during the week?

#27987 - 08/07/01 02:37 AM Re: What do Spanish people eat at home?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Rock 'n Cream Doritos are the best, though they strangely resemble Cool Ranch, no?

#27988 - 08/07/01 02:50 AM Re: What do Spanish people eat at home?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I would say that the average person (or family) does have a car, that's the reason for the horrid trafic we suffer, regardless of the reasonable public means of transportation.

I use to load the car either weekly at a mall (too expensive, but close) near my workplace, or in a supermarket in my way home, also with the car. Housewives and some students buy dayly in the markets and supermarkets nearby, because they have time, try to save a little, and buy more fresh food - They cook everyday, I eat out.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments