Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27955 - 07/30/01 11:35 AM Feria in Malaga
Scottish girl Offline

Loc: Ireland
I will be going to La Colina which is just outside Toremolinos for a week on the 10th of August. Is there a feria on in Malaga during this time and would anyone know how difficult it would be to get to the fairground from the train station ?

Thanks
wink

#27956 - 07/30/01 01:19 PM Re: Feria in Malaga
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
I just saw a TV program here in the States about the Feria de Malaga, and it looked like it was a great time. It said the Feria is in August, but didn't specify dates. Have a great time, and please report back about how it was!

#27957 - 07/31/01 01:57 PM Re: Feria in Malaga
Miguelito Offline

I think it's exactly that week.
Anchovy please confirm this. I want to drop me by there ...

#27958 - 08/01/01 03:50 AM Re: Feria in Malaga
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Hi chaps! The feria this year starts on Friday night, 10th August, when there is the most fantastic firework display, the best one held annualy in the province. Go down early to the marina for the best views and there will be other events going on in the park and nearby squares.

The feria then gets going the following day, with lots going on in the city centre and then the action moves to the fairground on the evening. It runs until 19th August and they are expecting six million visits to the fair (the best in Spain) during this time.

Enjoy it!! laugh

#27959 - 08/01/01 04:22 AM Re: Feria in Malaga
Scottish girl Offline

Thanks for getting back to me. Anchovy, I have been to the Feria but it was a long time ago and we went with friends that had a car. We'll be getting the train into Malaga (from La Colina), how do we get to the fairground ? We'll probably head there on Sat the 11th (what time for the night festivities). This will be the first time my finacee has been and I want to organise it as a bit of a surprise. Any tips for me ?

Eagerly awaiting your great advice laugh

#27960 - 08/01/01 05:53 AM Re: Feria in Malaga
Miguelito Offline

Yes, learn sevillanas.
Thank you Anchovy, ojalá pueda ir.

#27961 - 08/01/01 06:22 AM Re: Feria in Malaga
Scottish girl Offline

Miguelito,

Forgive my ignorance but what does "learn sevillanas" mean ? I would also how to go to!

#27962 - 08/01/01 06:23 AM Re: Feria in Malaga
Scottish girl Offline

Oops that should have said like to go too eek

#27963 - 08/01/01 07:06 AM Re: Feria in Malaga
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry I can not tell you how to go . Sevillanas is the southern dance they do with their spotted coloured dresses. You surely have seen it there.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]

#27964 - 08/01/01 08:18 AM Re: Feria in Malaga
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
The bus company Portillo are running special buses through the night to Torremolinos etc and the Malaga local bus company is laying on about 80 buses daily to and from the city to the fairground, which is on the ring road near the Cartama road. These will run between 9pm and 6am the next morning.

If it was me, Scottish girl, I would certainly take in the feria del dia in the centre, as well as just going to the fairground site on a nightime, because I think that is where you have the most fun.

I'm not sure what time the thing kicks off on Saturday, but you can keep an eye on what's going on by looking for information on a daily basis in the www.diariosur.es

I remember learning to dance sevillanas in the first year I came here back in 1986. There were three or four of us lads who went with our wives and girlfriends (that should read "or" as opposed to "and" I suppose!). We walked into the hall where the first lesson was to take place and it was like walking into a wild west saloon! I know, cos I've seen the scene on TV in a B movie
eek Doh! I knew I shouldn't have said that!! It all went quiet as twenty gorgeous Spanish girls opened their mouths and stared at not only guiris, or foreigners, entering, but some MALE ONES TOO!!

Anyway, we got stuck in and thoroughly enjoyed it, although it was harder than football training, we were shattered!! After a few lessons we were accepted and towards the end of the course, one or two Spanish novios and maridos even came along, as their girls had obviously shamed them into learning the steps, because "if the foreigners bother to learn, then so should you Jose!!" laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments