#27704 - 06/06/01 12:28 PM Re: TGI Fridays
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Party on!

#27705 - 06/06/01 12:34 PM Re: TGI Fridays
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Hmm...humorous is the same in both languages.....we don't spell it humourous..... why the hell do we Brits spell humour with a u??? We will have to reverse rôles....let the first lesson begin.

I am studying the news though and pick up phrases and sayings here from the USA. An American nurse said the other night on an English news programme here that "the children were ambulatory". Wouldn't the word walking be easier?

By the way, so not to drift off topic, I thought I would mention that it may be difficult for me to visit TGIF anyway, as a friend told me that the decor and waiter's uniforms etc are all in red and white stripes, which are Atletico de Madrid's colors (no u - see, I'm learning fast!). Everybody knows that Malaga Football Club's blue and white stripes are the best! Now if they re-decorated, we could hold the Costa del Sol dinner group there..... wink

#27706 - 06/06/01 03:12 PM Re: TGI Fridays
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Hi Sofia, I don't mean to be mean laugh but I don't think that Friday's shows anything about American culture.

#27707 - 06/11/01 06:21 PM Re: TGI Fridays
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I've read in El País, that in the tradition of TelePizza vs. Domino's, that in Marbella they're opening a restaurant called GADEViernes wink to compete with TGIFriday's. They'll be serving "milanesaguesas", "alas de toro", croquetas de pollo and "sangría light" (on tap of course). It will be right across the street from the new TGIFriday's and will compete with them for vomit volume in the alleys behind them both. eek

Thanks Wolf for the vivid imageries...eres único, tío.

#27708 - 06/12/01 07:00 PM Re: TGI Fridays
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
I hate TGIF... I can't stand chain restaurants, except for Mc Donalds... smile

Hard Rock Cafe and TGIF provide a great atmosphere and a nice place for homesick tourist to visit; however, the food is AWFUL and EXPENSIVE! mad

And for all those homesick travelers, get ready to spend some cash... average cost per person with drinks included can cost anywhere from 20-30 bucks. Ciao...roses

#27709 - 06/12/01 09:12 PM Re: TGI Fridays
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
WOW- I'm sorry I didn't catch this thread sooner!!

I think Fridays will find a niche-especially with the tour groups and tired Americans traveling through the land. (Give me a tortilla espanola any day though...) And someone way back mentioned that the salads 'kept things moving' so to speak, well, I know I can go to TGI's any time and eat ANYTHING, and it 'keeps me moving' as well--I guess it's all that fat someone else was talking about!!!

I guess this just means I have to be more attentive of all the posts that are going up...

#27710 - 06/12/01 09:35 PM Re: TGI Fridays
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
GranadaGirl,

The "keeps you moving" is kind of a modern expression. Back in the old days, when I was a kid (yes, last century), we called the results of eating greasy food "the green apple quick step."

Of course we had "detached bathrooms" in those days, and there was a half moon carved in the door for light to get in. As for the Sears catalog inside, it wasn't really for reading laugh

Wolf (Who still has one of those old facilities displayed as a novelty in his northern Wisconsin yard.)

#27711 - 06/12/01 09:44 PM Re: TGI Fridays
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Ah yes, the green apple quick step, I know it well, became intimate friends with it at the last TGI's I visited-- and it's a good thing their facilities are now attached, need I say more...

#27712 - 06/13/01 05:26 AM Re: TGI Fridays
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Voll Damm gives you that apple step too.

#27713 - 06/13/01 10:23 AM Re: TGI Fridays
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Of course, Wolf, in our current shock-oriented culture, the term "quick step" has been replaced with the word "splatters"...nice.

Speaking of apples, I wonder if the Friday's will have American-style "receptacles" or will opt for the Spanish bar-style "rocket launchers"...I love the launchers! Ready...aim... :p

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3021 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments