Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#27529 - 05/06/01 07:46 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
seul6 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Here is my imitation of cortado: Only use arabica beans which I grind "fino" each time,Evian water, and Carnation canned milk.
Yes, to me the milk makes the diferrence. I even use the low fat sometimes, and it tastes just as good! Ummm.. I think it's time for a cup. smile

#27530 - 05/06/01 08:48 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
La maestra, where I buy Parmalat it's across the aisle from the refrigerated milk. In other stores I've seen it on shelves with other types of nonrefrigerated milk. It could be anywhere. It might be worth it to ask around in your area. Good luck!

#27531 - 06/06/03 03:25 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Could someone please explain the difference between cortado and machado? Once in a while in a café I would see someone drinking coffee from a clear glass about the size of a juice glass, and the coffee and cream, milk, whatever , looked like they were layered. confused (before mixing of course). I would like to try this when I go to madrid in 2 weeks, but I don't know what to call it.

#27532 - 06/06/03 03:39 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I would venture to say that what you saw was a "bon-bon" which is leche condensada (condensed milk) and then coffee.

#27533 - 06/06/03 03:50 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Thanks, Chica. That sounds appropriate since the milk looked extrodinarily thick.

#27534 - 06/06/03 05:26 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Damn you all!!!!!!! mad laugh laugh laugh Here I am sitting in front of my screen with a big cup of Maxwell House enjoying reading the current posts when I reach this thread on coffee! Needless to say I got up...walked to the sink and dumped my pot of swill in disgust and envy!

Yes, I remember those days when my espresso machine was working and I purchased real coffee beans which I carefully ground up. Milk, cream, condensed milk? Sure, how about a demitasse of Cafe Diablo? Cafe Cubano? Por favor y Gracias!!

Now, my wife makes me a nice cup of mud...ahh..coffee that is. Germans...what do they know about coffee. Not much, but she makes one hell of an apple streudel! laugh

#27535 - 06/06/03 05:53 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
Pls note:
Manchado (usually on breakfast) a little coffee and rest milk it is clear.

Cortado (after a good lunch) strong black coffee and drops of milk

#27536 - 06/06/03 11:34 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
David1234 Offline

Loc: Virginia
La maestra, we have Parmalat boxed UHT milk at our local Wal-Mart, but you can also order it from http://www.netgrocer.com which I noticed had it on their home page. Since it keeps boxed for several months it ships well.

David

#27537 - 06/07/03 09:08 AM Re: How's the Coffee???
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
ABP has pointed it out perfectly smile

Café manchado: 90% milk, 10% coffee
Café cortado: 10% milk, 90% coffee
Café con leche: 40% milk, 60% coffee
Café bombón: 30% condensed milk, 70% coffee
etc...

Fernando

#27538 - 06/07/03 04:55 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I love Spanish coffee but the other day I had a cappucino at my local Starbucks, and you know, it wasn't half bad;). I also like their cakes, especially the apple and caramel crumbly things......My only complaint is that I find their prices rather high and the portions rather small. Although it was delicious, my favourite cake measured about 4 square inches.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments