Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#27509 - 05/03/01 02:41 PM How's the Coffee???
jeffperez62 Offline

Loc: connecticut USA
I love a good strong cup of "American" coffee such as Starbucks, on recent trips to France and Italy I had to rely on Cappucino due to the fact that I could not find a decent cup of Joe. SO......What's the coffe like

#27510 - 05/03/01 03:02 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
If you like coffee, you'll loooovvvveeee Spanish coffee. A while back there was a long thread about the coffee. Why don't you do a search on cafe con leche? Cafe con leche is similar to a latte. That's what most people drink. Plain would be cafe solo. There is also cafe manchado and cafe cortado, all depending on the ammt. of milk. Either way, the coffee is great and I'm sure you'll love it.

#27511 - 05/03/01 03:38 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
azboarder Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Starbucks?!? Yuck! :p You can find better coffee elsewhere in the world.

#27512 - 05/03/01 06:06 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
Jaime Offline

The coffee in Spain was a thousand times better than anything they have at Starbucks (and I'm somewhat of a Starbucks junkie since I live right next to one.) I haven't been able to find anything like it since.

#27513 - 05/03/01 07:26 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Most EVERYONE has a positive opinion of Spanish coffee including me. I think you'll find the contrary of "Starbucks" coffee in the " Starbucks in Spain " thread. :p :o

I also LOVE Spanish coffee and ALWAYS beg people living near me (or at least in the USA!) to bring some back for me in exchange for a MadridMan's Madrid Video . Anyone up for a trade?? I'm getting low - down to my last 5 bricks. eek

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27514 - 05/04/01 10:41 AM Re: How's the Coffee???
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Coffee from the Dominican Republic is my favorite. It beats everything I've had in Italy, Spain and even Costa Rica. Ditto for the rum!!

#27515 - 05/04/01 12:17 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Yum, Yum, yum. The coffee is so good, that I bought an espresso machine the day I got home! www.walmart.com The 20 piece Melitta.They don't carry it in their stores. Comes with everything except the Spanish coffee, although comes with some type of coffee. Maybe www.tienda.com Now I will have to perfect how to make Cafe Solo. wink However, if you absolutely must have American coffee, I admit to stopping at the Dunkin Donuts near the Puerta del Sol, for a cafe Americano, although, it was more like a double Cafe Solo in a to go cup, which you don't see from any other cafeteria.

#27516 - 05/04/01 01:09 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I believe it's as much to do with the pot as the coffee itself. As an example, tea that isn't steeped in a Brown Betty doesn't measure up smile I know everyone out there who owns a Brown Betty knows what I'm talking about.

If you want a good cup of coffee, add the right pot to the mix. The style shown in this link is what we found works best, and makes the rest look like pretenders. http://www.sasitalian.com/cof.htm

Of course that doesn't mean you won't get a good cup another way, but to be honest, this is what we always use while in Spain, and every time we want to make a "special cup" back here in the States. We just find a good blended coffee that matches the blend in Spain and ... Voila! Great coffee every time!

Even if it's all psychological, it works!

Wolf

#27517 - 05/04/01 02:10 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
Pookita Offline

Loc: FL, USA
I'm with Wolfgang on this one! The right tools make a big difference.

Here in SoFla, we use the same type of pot to make wonderful libation known as Cuban coffee. Something about the way the sugar is stirred into it creating that rich, dark foam....Yummy.

It's been 20 years since I was in Spain, but I recall the coffee there being very similar. I'm looking forward to refreshing my memory!

#27518 - 05/04/01 09:10 PM Re: How's the Coffee???
perfecta Offline

Loc: Minot, ND, USA
Every year I bring home coffee from Spain, and yes, I have bought one of the aforementioned pots also. One year I interrogated a grocer from Elda (near Alicante, more noted for shoes than coffee) and he swore to me that the reason the coffee tasted as it did in Spain was because it was 'torrefacto'. He then suggested I buy some blend of 'torrefacto' and whatever beans are when they are not 'torrefacto'. I read the label and it sounded like the beans had been toasted/roasted with sugar. Does anyone know what 'torrefacto' means regarding coffee beans? And Wolf, what did you mean about 'blend of coffee'? I understand coffee here, and even have Gevalia send me coffee from 'Cafe del Oriente' in Madrid every month, but I can't say as I know what 'blends' they have in Spain. I really thought I knew grocery stores inside and out but 'torrefacto' or not, I have yet to bring home the beans that are a perfect match...next I'll have to fill my suitcase with that 'cabra' mineral water for the perfect brew!

con besitos que saben a un perfecto cafe con leche!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments