Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#27499 - 05/30/01 07:27 PM Re: Tapas Tour Dilemma (Madrid)
katieb Offline

Loc: USA
EBETANCOURT:
HI..THIS IS MY FAVORITE AREA OF MADRID. WE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM THERE LAST SUMMER. wE STAYED OUT UNTIL EARLY INTO THE MORNING. sO YES, THEY WERE VERY OPEN. WE ESPECIALLY LIKED "MESON DE LA TORTILLA"..IN FACT, WE ARE STAYING AT THE HOSTAL LA MACARENA RIGHT ACCROSS THE STREET FROM THESE PLACES. ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING (GOOD OR BAD) ABOUT THE PLACE??

#27500 - 05/31/01 05:11 PM Re: Tapas Tour Dilemma (Madrid)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Katieb,

Please, don't shout when you talk on the board (writting in capital letters means shouting on the Internet).

Please, be nice to our ears.

#27501 - 06/01/01 08:35 PM Re: Tapas Tour Dilemma (Madrid)
dewey Offline

Loc: albany, new york
ebantancourt-

I was also in Madrid in the late 60's and until 71, and remember going to a section that was frequented at that time by Spanish students. There was always much singing and clapping and traveling musicians. One spot had huge mushrooms filled with something delicious. Does this sound like the area around Plaza Mayor? Somehow that does not seem quite right to me. I'd love to see that area again after 30 years, even if it has changed or closed up, but I can't remember exactly where it was. What exactly is the location of what you remember?

#27502 - 06/02/01 09:04 AM Re: Tapas Tour Dilemma (Madrid)
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
If I recall correctly, that "thing" that was in/on the mushrooms is a chopped mix of garlic and ham plus a little vine and plenty of olive oil.

#27503 - 06/02/01 11:28 PM Re: Tapas Tour Dilemma (Madrid)
dewey Offline

Thanks Nativo. Thirty years is a long time to remember a taste let alone ingredients. Do you think that the above mentioned "meson del champiñon" in the vicinity of Plaza Mayor meets my remembered description? I'm going back at the end of June to revisit places I loved best and perhaps I can add this to my list if I can identify it.

#27504 - 06/03/01 10:18 AM Re: Tapas Tour Dilemma (Madrid)
ebetancourt Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Dewey,

that does in fact sound like Meson del Chamiñon. they served the Mushrooms(Champiñon) with two toothpicks so you could put it in your mouth without tipping it over.
ernie smile

#27505 - 06/03/01 07:45 PM Re: Tapas Tour Dilemma (Madrid)
dewey Offline

Thanks Ebetancourt. I will be excited to explore that area again as well as so many other places. It is strange going back after 30 years. I remember in Retiro Park we met an old Spanish man who had been to the United States in the 1930"s and had not returned since. He loved to tell us what New York city was like, and we loved to listen because his memory was an untouched time capsule. He still thought of it the way he had experienced it as a young man and it was New York City that we had not seen except perhaps in old black and white movies. Now I am that old man with my outdated impressions.

#27506 - 07/02/01 04:44 PM Re: Tapas Tour Dilemma (Madrid)
reenie Offline

HI everyone!

So, what's the verdict on Andre's Walks of Spain Tavern Tour -- are they still going on?

I'll be there in our beloved Madrid as of Thursday & need to know soon!

Thanks,
Reenie

#27507 - 07/02/01 04:52 PM Re: Tapas Tour Dilemma (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi reenie! You might want to email Andres directly and ask. Good luck and have fun!!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27508 - 07/02/01 10:36 PM Re: Tapas Tour Dilemma (Madrid)
reenie Offline

Thanks, Madrid Man -- we're meeting up for a tapas tour Fri. nite! YAY!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2740 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments