Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27248 - 03/21/01 10:10 AM Madrid - a desert in August???
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am planning on spending 2 nights/ 3 days in Madrid in August and so far, I have noticed that quite a few hostals are closed for the whole month. I know that Madrilenos have their vacation in August, but can someone tell me, first-hand, if Madrid's nightlife is still happening during this time? I don't want to go to Madrid only to find that it is empty and uneventful!!! That's what happened to me when I went to Granada two summers ago!

Thanks for your help,

SusiLaGallega

#27249 - 03/21/01 10:22 AM Re: Madrid - a desert in August???
connie Offline

It is notably quieter, but it is not at all deserted. There are stores and restaurants which are closed, but with the huge quantity of bars and restaurants in Madrid, you will find enough which are open. Many people leave for vacations, but the people who stay continue to go out. I had friends visiting me there in August who did not even notice that was sort of empty compared to normal life. Even though it is quieter, it is not like a desert. Madrid is worth while a visit in August, too!
I was in Granada once in August and that was pretty empty- but I enjoyed it, you can stay in excellent hotels for little money and you have no problems in getting to the Alhambra without waiting and you can stay there long without masses of people.

#27250 - 03/21/01 10:46 AM Re: Madrid - a desert in August???
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
There are still plenty of people here. And if you can be here between the 1st and the 15th, you'll enjoy the fiestas in the districts of Lavapies and Rastro - dancing in the streets till all hours, open-air concerts and so on. I actually prefer being in Madrid in August to almost any other time of year. You'll have a great time.

#27251 - 03/21/01 12:01 PM Re: Madrid - a desert in August???
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Don't worry it will not be a desert. That is what traditionally happened in the 60-70's but not any longer, in fact is a rather nice period to be in the city.

#27252 - 03/21/01 12:38 PM Re: Madrid - a desert in August???
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thank-you to all of you who responded to my question! Open-air concerts and fiestas are the type of thing I love, so I'm excited about that!
Oh, and as for using the word desert in my header/topic, it was just a figure of speech... I didn't really think it would be a desert at all... just trying to catch people's attention - heehee - and I guess it worked!

SusiLaGallega

#27253 - 03/21/01 04:16 PM Re: Madrid - a desert in August???
barry Offline

By the way, the fiestas for the first week of August (San Lorenzo and San Cayetano) are concentrated on Calle Argumosa (Lavapies) moving on in the second week to the area around Metro La Latina (La Paloma fiestas) - check out all the back streets, follow the crowd.. You'll meet all the Madrid population eager to have a good time despite not being on the coast. If you need more info. get in touch.

#27254 - 03/22/01 07:58 AM Re: Madrid - a desert in August???
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Madrid in August?

Yes it is true is not as populated as in other months but take into account that in the week of Virgin Paloma party (15 th August) streets like Cava Baja, Cava Alta, Almendro, and Squares like Plaza de La Paja or Plaza de San Andres become a party where you can find people from all around the world. The streets are full of outdoors bars, music, dancing and a carnaval atmosphere, I highly recommend Madrid in these days.

Cheers,
Andres

------------------
Taste Madrid with:
http://www.walksofspain.com

#27255 - 03/22/01 10:16 AM Re: Madrid - a desert in August???
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Barry and Andres

If we are in Madrid for the nights of 4 and 5 August 2001, will be in the middle of, or missing these fiestas?

Of course, in one way we would love to be in amongst them, but on the other hand as we are staying at Hostal Martin, nr. to Anton Martin metro, with our 3 children, does this mean will get no sleep whatsoever?

Oh, that makes me sound miserable, I don't mean to be, we will go with whatever is happening and enjoy it to the full, but I'd just like to be prepared.

Jo-Anne

#27256 - 03/22/01 10:45 AM Re: Madrid - a desert in August???
barry Offline

you'll be in madrid for the lavapies fiestas. That's a 5 min walk from Anton Martin, but far enough to get some sleep. The noise won't bother you there.

#27257 - 03/22/01 01:39 PM Re: Madrid - a desert in August???
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Barry

Brilliant - just the answer I was hoping for.

Does this mean that El Rastro will be affected on the Sunday?

Thanks

Jo-Anne

[This message has been edited by Jo-Anne (edited 03-22-2001).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments