Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#27168 - 03/20/01 04:56 PM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
There is a tapas bar right next door to the Hostal Lopez that gives free tapas with a beer of other drink. (we only had alcohol) I don't remember the name, but it sits on the corner right down the street. A small place with friendly bartenders. We were given potato chips and a 'corn nuts' and peanuts mixture with our beers. We also tried a mojita there. A drink with smushed up mint leaves in the bottom and who knows what else. Not bad, different though. And we did only sit at the counter.

#27169 - 04/25/01 10:50 AM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
El Boqueron is floating about again, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread, as recently I revisited the bar in Malaga I'd mentioned earlier, but we didn't know the name of it. It's actually next door to a new tapas bar, called .......Tapas Bar (another one in the chain) and the name of the one we went to is Cafe del Turco. We went there on the Saturday night at the beginning of Semana Santa and me, wife and brother in law had several beers or glasses of Ribera del Duero each and as before, with every drink we had a really nice tapa. Bill came to under 2.000 Ptas! There were two other people in when we arrived and with three more in, it was nearly full!

After that incidentally, we had room for more tapas at Pepe y Pepa (near an Irish bar, O'Neills I think, off Plaza de la Constitucion). Then several more bars followed, including live music at one, singing and clapping along with gypsies at another, etc. We saw what I assume was a rehearsal for a procession and eventually got into the hostal in the early hours.

Including lunch, (more tapas), afternoon tea at a moorish teteria, a great night out, 3 bed room at the hostal and overnight carparking, petrol etc, the weekend cost us under 12,000 pts each. Not bad, eh? cool

[ 04-25-2001: Message edited by: Anchovy Front ]

#27170 - 04/25/01 02:00 PM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Anchovy,

O'Neil's! Isn't that also the name of the sidewalk cafe/Irish bar on Plaza Mayor in Rota? I think it's right.... kind of a "hang out" for American Navy & Marine types at the base.

Is O'Neil's a chain, or is there a shortage of Irish names that work well with pubs? rolleyes

The place we stay, while in Rota, is one block off the beach... Nifty apartment with a massive balcony where we can look out over the courtyard of several neighbors who have dogs, chickens, geese, and just about every conceivable type of captive creature they can find roaming around. It's not a nice sight to behold on butchering days eek

By the by! If you can recall that bar, maybe you can identify the name of the coffee house/cafe, located on the corner between O'Neil's (assuming O'Neil is right) and the beach... that's heading north to the street, then west to the beach.

Wolf

#27171 - 04/26/01 08:22 AM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

The place you mean is just called Paddy Pub, Wolf. It's always our first port of call on a night in Rota. The music is good, the beers are varied and excellent, clientele is a mixture of US servicemen, locals and we guiris from the other coast! I was in there on Easter Saturday and got a shock when I saw the barman. We last saw him in August, I suppose and if you were there during the last few years you would know him, as he is about 6' 4" and built like a brick outhouse. He has lost 30 kilos, he told me and looks fantastic for it. I know the cafe / bar you mean round the corner (opposite a little pizza place) but don't know the name of it.

After the Paddy, we eat then move on to places such as Einstein's (name changed this year) and the bars along that stretch. You'll have to let me know about where you stay because we are thinking of renting an apartment next time we go (BY THE NIGHT!!!! Sorry, Loretta! :p ) The beach is fantastic its a nice place to be in my humble opinion. Oh, yes, just to continue the thread, I haven't found a bar there with free tapas yet! wink

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: Anchovy Front ]

#27172 - 04/26/01 10:13 AM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Anchovy - I'm back from floating! I know Pepe y Pepa in Malaga well - it's one of my favourite little bars, the tapas are excellent. I think the name refers to the young couple who seem to run it.

#27173 - 04/26/01 01:04 PM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

That whole area is buzzing on a Saturday night, isn't it Boqueron? Like you say, it's a smashing little bar and very popular. Another good tapas bar, which we have never been able to get into other than jostling at the bar for some patatas bravas, is La Posada, which is enormous, but still packed solid with Malagueños. The one across the street is interesting too, with the bar in the shape of a fishing boat. I love the city, I wish I lived nearer, although I shouldn't be greedy, as I am a lot nearer than most, so strike that last remark!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments