Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#27066 - 03/06/01 02:43 AM Buffet restaurants in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are there any buffet restaurants in Madrid? Please give names and experiences.

#27067 - 03/06/01 07:11 AM Re: Buffet restaurants in Madrid?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hopefully some of the Spaniards on-board can answer this one (or those who have spend sufficient "quantitiy-time" there), but I don't think they're common in Spain at all.

As a side not: When my ladyfriend came to the USA to teach 1.5 years ago (she returns to Madrid this summer) this was something she was SO surprised to see; the great number of buffet-style restaurants here. She said, very quickly, "No wonder you Americans are so fat!" hehehhee.. I had to laugh....in total agreement. (I'm referring to the all-you-can-consume-until-you-explode type restaurants here in the USA and not the one-pass cafeteria style restaurants of course. Maybe you meant the latter and not the former. If so, I'll stop blabbering now and let others comment... )

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. All members must have a valid email address. Please open a free account at www.Yahoo.com or www.Hotmail.com . Thank you.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-06-2001).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27068 - 03/06/01 09:31 AM Re: Buffet restaurants in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you. I was actually referring to the first option, but only to try as many Spanish dishes in one setting as to the quantity of food (I'm not quite sure if I believe this myself...)

#27069 - 03/06/01 09:58 AM Re: Buffet restaurants in Madrid?
PacoM Offline

The only bufé that I'm aware of is the Restaurante Diamantino, Calle Atocha, 67 Metro Antón Martín

It is next to the Teatro Monumental and located between Calle León and Calle Amor de Dios. Typical fare is paella, morcilla, salad and vegetable dishes, tortilla española, gambas, chorizo, and calamar.

I've been there twice and there is always a line to get in. You can also watch VH1 on their big screen while you eat.

Maybe someone else has been there too...

#27070 - 03/06/01 10:07 AM Re: Buffet restaurants in Madrid?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
(another note to John316)

Please get yourself a free email account at one of the above/or-wherever places and then go to your PROFILE - see link at the top of any page, and enter your new email address. I'm going to delete your username and you can re-register under the same name with your new email address. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27071 - 03/07/01 04:28 AM Re: Buffet restaurants in Madrid?
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
Yes the Restaurante Diamantino is the most convenient. the buffet starts at 2 in the afternoon. In general food is cheap in Spain, very good, but you have to be very carefull in what you order. One day I went to a restaurant with a friend we were looking at the door and the prices were ok,
we ordered and the guy kept asking if we wanted something to drink and finally we decided for 2 Sangrias, at the end the check was 15 dollars for the food and 35 dollars for the sangria. If the drink is included in the menu it is ok, but never order extra drinks.
Another thing, in Spain they serve small quantities of liquid, you order a Coke and they bring you a mini coke. I ordered a coffee and they brought me an expresso. then I asked that I wanted the normal coffee and they brought me a small cup of coffee.

Rafael

#27072 - 03/07/01 04:42 AM Re: Buffet restaurants in Madrid?
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
If the idea is trying different dishes, I would recommend a different approach. You can go to a good traditional bar and order small tapas "porciones". If you go in group you can order a good variety and it is more in the line of the travel exeprience...

#27073 - 03/07/01 08:26 PM Re: Buffet restaurants in Madrid?
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
Regarding the Buffet Diamantino. I just happened to have one of their fliers. There were guys all around the Prado and Atocha passing out these yellow advertisements. I took one and put it in my guide book. Here is what the flier say:

1100 Pesetas for all you can eat. 20 different dishes. Meats, fish, salad, chicken, pasta, paella and desserts. Open 1-5 and 8:30-11:30. It is in the plaza right by the Anton Martin metro stop.

We didn't eat there, somehow the idea of an all you can eat buffet just didn't seem like it would be part of the Madrid experience. We did eat in lots of great restaurants, and after a week, I think I sampled everything I wanted, but in a more leisurely, less gluttonous fashion. But now that I am back in the States it's back to the Pizza Hut buffet!

Ed

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments