Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#26776 - 02/01/01 04:17 PM where to find chorizo in madrid bars
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
Hi all,
in my many trips to Madrid I have always had trouble finding hot(caliente, not picante) chorizo. I really like the kind they serve at Casa Mingo - the cider house. On this trip I will be down in the Huertas, Chueca, Plaza Mayor area.

Can anybody help me find a little tapas bar that serves that type of chorizo?

Thanks much for any tips.
jaimemiguel

p.s.
Has this board ever had a 'Favorite Hidden Tapas Bar thread' ? I am more interested in that type of bar than the more famous, touristy ones.

#26777 - 02/02/01 03:33 AM Re: where to find chorizo in madrid bars
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
jaimemiguel,
it seems typical that many cities claim they have the best chorizos. go to any random city and they will have their own recipes for chorizo...

have you had chistorra, chorizo blanco, etc...? los molinos, near pozuelo de alarcon, offers great chorizo, as well as toledo. also, various cities in castilla-la mancha offer their great versions of chorizo...

go for broke! hit some other places besides madrid for good chorizo... good luck!

#26778 - 02/02/01 05:41 AM Re: where to find chorizo in madrid bars
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi!

My recommendations:

C. de las Hileras
El Escarpín (very near to Joy Eslava)

Calle del Angel
La Burbuja que rie (very near to San Francisco el Grande) If you go be prompt this place gets packed very soon, every day.

Casa Mingo is also a great option. They cook a very good Chorizo a la sidra although I prefer chorizo in the barbecue style although I only know of two places that prepare it
that way and are not in the city-center.

Enjoy your chorizo and please write back with your experience,

Cheers,
Andrés Jarabo (tapas & bars addict)

------------------
Taste Madrid with:
http://www.walksofspain.com

#26779 - 02/02/01 06:00 AM Re: where to find chorizo in madrid bars
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Unless you have "Fried Chorizo" as part of a meal, I'm not at all sure you can really get hot (caliente, no picante) chorizo served as a tapa. Nearly all the chorizo they serve is cut from the dry, cured, room temperature chorizos you see hanging around. Finding hot chorizo served as a tapa is about as difficult as getting a HOT slice of tortilla patata/española. Unless you get this RIGHT out of the oven, it's likely to be hours old, but still VERY good at room temperature. Hmmm...

I think there are some older TAPAS BARS threads in this forum. Use the SEARCH feature above/right and use TAPAS as your keyword. Have a great time!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26780 - 02/03/01 11:28 AM Re: where to find chorizo in madrid bars
Andrés Offline

I am a little bit disappointed with my message since it is not very clear. The reason why I recommended those two taverns is because are the ones in the city center I remember to have chorizo a la sidra. (Served hot and inside a pan).Just go and ask for chorizo or chorizo a la sidra and since they are taverns you do not need to ask for more food.

Cheers,
Andres Jarabo

------------------
Taste Madrid with:

#26781 - 02/03/01 11:48 AM Re: where to find chorizo in madrid bars
jaimemiguel Offline

All,
thanks for your replies - I can't wait to check these out.

Andres,
how do I make the accent in this editor?

More importantly, I loved your sig line because I too am a tapas and bars addict. My main addiction is those little hole-in-the-wall neighborhood (non-tourist) bars. My current favorite in Madrid is a little one called Bar Laredo way up Paseo de la Castellano - Chamartin area, right next to the Foxa Hotel: SEE May 11, 2000 PHOTO HERE (361kb).

In Sevilla my favorite is Bar Arsenio, it is just across the street from Hotel Colon. It looks like a real dump, but the owners and employees were the warmest people in the world!

(PHOTOS)
Bar Arsenio 1 (561K), Bar Arsenio 2 (497K), My buddy Paco (537K), The jefe (607K)

jaimemiguel

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 02-03-2001).]

#26782 - 02/03/01 03:38 PM Re: where to find chorizo in madrid bars
jaimemiguel Offline

MadridMan,
thanks for cleaning up my URLs in my previous post.

jaimemiguel

[This message has been edited by jaimemiguel (edited 02-03-2001).]

#26783 - 02/04/01 07:53 AM Re: where to find chorizo in madrid bars
Andrés Offline

Hi!

Very nice photos!
pretty Seville, two glasses of fino-wine, and
Paco doing some warming-up with the tap-beer!

Ok! you said you didnot like bars crowded with tourists. In Madrid unless you go to the ones near Plaza Mayor or Puerta del Sol you won´t find many tourists (remember that Madrid is not much of a tourist city actually most of the foreigners that come do it for business reasons, so forget about flocks of tourists).
Nevertheless there are some bars where you won´t find any tourist and not many Spaniards themselves. Although in the city center this place is hard to find mainly because the name of the street it is situated is so long that doesn´t fit into the maps:
Torrecilla del Leal
Bar: Aloque (the best if you enjoy good wine)

Cheers,
Andrés Jarabo

------------------
Taste Madrid with:

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1430 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments