MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#26745 - 02/19/01 04:07 PM Re: Manchego cheese
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I think Whole Foods markets on the west coast have been mentioned before...I think their cheese department is the best we have here....I was there on Saturday and noticed they have an incredible selection of Spanish cheeses- tetilla, mahon, cabrales, and 3 different types of manchego, aged 3,6 and 9 monthes, your choice...I was in heaven!!!!!

#26746 - 02/19/01 07:35 PM Re: Manchego cheese
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Wegman's grocery stores also carry Manchego cheese.

#26747 - 02/20/01 12:47 AM Re: Manchego cheese
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
laduque--you are right about Whole Foods. The several here have plenty of varieties of Spanish cheeses. Most co-ops do though, even my teeny tiny one here carries Manchego. It is expensive stuff too, but you shouldn't have to use so much of it, because it usually has a sharper edge to it's taste than most cheeses.

Speaking of which, does anybody have any good recipes they'd like to share that include manchego cheese?

#26748 - 02/20/01 09:30 AM Re: Manchego cheese
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
MM,
Greeting from Madrid! Finally here and everything is perfect including the weather. Hostel Lopez is great also.

Now to the post. At Sam´s club you can get a guest pass for a day where they make you pay 15% more for the products you buy. You should be able to get this pass at customer service. That would make it about $8 a pound but still a great deal for Manchego. I just bought a big chunk at a super-mercado in Segovia for 1995 pts a kilo. Can´t wait to try it.

Ed

#26749 - 02/22/01 11:02 AM Re: Manchego cheese
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Greetings to you in Madrid, Ed S.!! Hope you're having a FANTASTIC time!

Funny that the fine folks at Sam's Club didn't mention to me, as I was standing at the customer service counter with two wedges of Manchego cheese and a 5 liter jug of olive oil, that I could get a guest pass and just pay 15% more for the items I wanted. Hmph!! I'll have to call them on the phone and verify this for this particular location. DARNIT!!! I REALLY could have used that manchego LAST weekend. ARGH!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26750 - 02/23/01 12:07 PM Re: Manchego cheese
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
always look for the 'denominacion de origen' la mancha or castilla-la mancha on authentic queso manchego... it's usually a stamp branded into the outside of the cheese or on the label itself.

take a quick trip to ciudad real or valdepeñas to buy it!

#26751 - 02/23/01 04:31 PM Re: Manchego cheese
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I bought some queso manchego at Wegman's last night to take to a dinner party. Paid $6.75 for 3/4 of a pound, but what can you expect from an import. It was great -- one of the other people there is from Mallorca and was gobbling it up. Ah, Spanish food....

#26752 - 02/23/01 07:22 PM Re: Manchego cheese
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Whole Foods also carries membrillo (that's the name for that quince jelly that lots of Spanish people eat with cheese, isn't it?)--at least here in Minneapolis. I haven't tried it (not being a big cheese fan--though manchego grilled cheese sandwiches are heavenly), but thought someone on the list might like to give it a test!

#26753 - 02/24/01 08:33 AM Re: Manchego cheese
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
Thanks everyone on your input here. I didn't bring home a whole wheel though I did bring home a couple of nice wedges (one I cut into for a snack while still in Madrid). It is excellent, as was all of Madrid, Segovia and Toledo. I now see why everyone is so crazy about this city. Friendly people, great food and drink, great sights and, for us, 7 days with nothing but sunshine and warm weather. Sure beats the snow storm we returned to in Philly.

MM, I think I was wrong about Sam's club, I think the actual mark up is only 5% extra. That is even better. I hope you can get a guest card, if not find a friend with a membership. Although, I am sure you can make up the $35 membership fee with a year's worth of inexpensive olive oil and Manchego!

Ed

#26754 - 03/13/01 11:56 AM Re: Manchego cheese
tomas Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, USA
Here in the San Francisco bay area and probably much of California, Trader Joe's carries Mahon and Manchego cheese.

The posts about Whole Foods are correct - they have an incredible assortment of Spanish cheese - Drunken Goat, Manchego, Mahon, Tetilla, Valdeon, etc. However, what Trader Joe's lacks in selection, they make up in price.

Also, Whole Foods carries Jamon Serrano. My favorite Spanish food: blood sausage. Where to find? Dean & DeLuca in St. Helena, the Napa Valley - it has a pretty long shelf life and is great in a soup with lentils!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments