Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#26735 - 01/28/01 04:12 PM Manchego cheese
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
I have heard about this great cheese from a coworker and am looking forward to buying some in Madrid. I have found it locally for around $10 a pound at a local cheese store and around $7 at Sam's Club. How much does it generally cost in Spain and does anyone recommend a specific variety (aged/young)? Also, is this something I can legally bring back to the U.S.?

I am 2 1/2 weeks away from my trip to Madrid and I can't wait to buy a nice piece of Manchego, some fresh bread and a bottle of wine for a snack!

#26736 - 01/28/01 05:23 PM Re: Manchego cheese
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
You will find tons of kinds of manchego cheese in Spain! Semi-cured (semi-curado) is probably the best to try. You can bring back a whole wheel of cheese, I believe, but not cut pieces (someone else know??). The really cured manchego tastes like imported Italian parmesano, kinda. Enjoy!!

#26737 - 01/28/01 06:00 PM Re: Manchego cheese
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WHAT???? Ed S, you found REAL Spanish Manchego cheese at Sam's Club???????????

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26738 - 01/29/01 01:01 AM Re: Manchego cheese
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Hi, rgf is correct, you are able to bring back any of the wonderful cheeses in Spain (even cabrales) if it is the whole wheel (entero). We always bring at least one wheel back and my in=laws send us chees via the mail all the time... Enjoy!!!!

#26739 - 01/29/01 06:59 AM Re: Manchego cheese
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
Yes MM I was surprised myself. A coworker who lived in Spain said whe was able to buy it at Sam's Club. I went there this past weekend and sure enough they had nice, big wedges of it for $7 a pound. The real stuff. Sam's actually had quite a large selection of imported cheeses. Since I will be in Madrid in 2 1/2 weeks I didn't buy any though. I didn't want to spoil myself yet. Plus I will appreciate it more in Spain.

#26740 - 01/29/01 09:18 AM Re: Manchego cheese
Miguelito Offline

It costs more or less between 2000 y 3000 ptas/kg (12-15 $/kg)

#26741 - 01/29/01 04:22 PM Re: Manchego cheese
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
When I was in Spain 6 weeks ago, I bought several wheels of "manchego" cheese which were on- sale at a large chain of supermarkets (Hipermercados) called Carrefour.
Weighed a little over a kilo each & came vacuum sealed into a plastic jacket. Price (at rate of exchange then) was about $3.00 a lb. or 1245 pts. a kilo.
Brand was Garcia Barquero - curado. Excellent tasting & we prefer over the semi-curado.
Cabrales cheese was selling then for around 2300 pts. a kilo.
No problems with US Customs. (Years ago we were told by Customs agent upon arrival from Madrid at Newark airport that they only would not permit entry of "liquid or stringy" cheeses}

[This message has been edited by JDR (edited 01-29-2001).]

#26742 - 02/12/01 02:17 PM Re: Manchego cheese
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Manchego and even some jamon and botifarras (pre BSE scare) were seen by yours truly in NYC. Those of you in the 'frontier areas' (heh heh) of the US may have trouble finding it though.

However I do know it can be found in Florida also.

#26743 - 02/12/01 03:07 PM Re: Manchego cheese
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I agreed with Miguelito. Real Manchego cheese costs about 2000 pesetas per kilo.

Unfortunately, JDR, what you got for 1245 pesetas per kilo wasn't the authentic thing. Manchego cheese is so good and popular that many companies add this name to their cheeses. I've seen "Manchego" cheese which was actually made in Valladolid.

It's like champagne. The equivalent we have in Spain can't be called "champagne" because it's not made in France in that region. Real Manchego cheese have to be made in La Mancha region, using only sheep milk (most cheeses have cow milk because it's a lot cheaper) and it has to be cured for at least 3 months. This is what I heard in a TV report. However, most people sell "Manchego" style cheese which has been made somewhere else in Spain, with a high percentage of cow milk and without following the curing process.

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 02-12-2001).]

#26744 - 02/19/01 04:03 PM Re: Manchego cheese
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ed S!!!! You were absolutely right! (not that I doubted you ) I went to Sam's Club (a large, HUGE-quantity, warehouse style grocery store) Friday night and sure enough, they had Manchego cheese!!! It was about $7/pound and I was SO happy until I realized/found that I'd have to join the "club" for $35/year. Well, I decided NOT to join and therefor NOT get the Manchego cheese for my ladyfriend's visit this weekend. I was very disappointed, but I wouldn't go very often each year and would likely ONLY buy the cheese there. (however, they seemed to have good deals on olive oil too)

Manchego Cheese-less (boo hoo) in Columbus, Ohio, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments