Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#26607 - 01/26/01 11:31 PM Re: Madrid - Chinese/indian food
skg2 Offline

Loc: Durham, NC USA
IF YOU LIKE THAI...go to THAI GARDEN on Jorge Juan (i believe numero 5). I think that is the best Asian restarant in the city.

#26608 - 02/03/01 07:22 PM Re: Madrid - Chinese/indian food
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
A note on the HOT Indian foods. I lived there for several years and remember actually feeling a little "chilly" on a 100+ degree day after consuming a particularly hot meal. They told me spices trick the body into thinking the "outside" is cooler! The same w/all the hot tea they drink. Ifyou think about it, the countries whose cuisines are HOT HOT are usually in the tropics. But then again so are alot of those little "critters" that somehow make there way into our bodies in some of those countries. so I'm sure the theory that the spices help purify the food has some merit.

#26609 - 02/11/01 11:07 PM Re: Madrid - Chinese/indian food
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
cantabene--Oh, pepper can certainly suppress flavors, especially if it's been sitting in a bottle forever. But red pepper actually isn't like other peppers in the way that it isn't necessarily as hot in temp., but sweeter in a way. I use it in everything because I grew up mostly eating spicy foods, which is not to say hot, but full of spices.

Here in Minnesota, the pallet is bland, bland, bland--mostly Swedish, Norwegian dishes and really poorly prepared classic American. Ketchup is spicy here and more than half the population is allergic to spices, tomatos and onions.

But you know, they say you are what you eat, so maybe that is another reason why some of us choose to digest so much cheese and so many spices.

#26610 - 02/12/01 12:34 AM Re: Madrid - Chinese/indian food
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Sheba- I always try to defend Minnesota against attack...but you are DEAD ON, with the food appraisal. There are many culinary gems in MN, but lutefisk, lefse and kraut don't qualify as anything but stomach filler. Ish! (Although I LOVE brats!)

#26611 - 02/12/01 12:59 AM Re: Madrid - Chinese/indian food
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I've been to Minnesota, but only on a couple of brief business trips. All I know about it--except that you can freeze your butt off there--is what I learn from Garrison Keillor. I think this guy is terrific. I love his humor, his stories and gentle satire. Minnesota is fortunate to have him.

Soprry to get off the topic of Spain, but I couldn't miss this opprtunity to express my admiration for GK.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 02-12-2001).]

#26612 - 03/05/01 04:07 PM Re: Madrid - Chinese/indian food
Kamilah Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
OK I wouldn't go to McDonalds everyday, but feel free to try non-spanish cuisines in SPain because one they are often spanish influenced and two some spanish food is nasty depending on your preferences what you order. We had some spanish food where every bite was orgasmic, however we also had wonderful pizza and moroccan food. We didn't try the chinese restaurants but there were loads off of gran via on hortaleza and calle fuencarral. happy munching

#26613 - 05/27/06 08:08 AM Re: Madrid - Chinese/indian food
whoami57 Offline

Loc: Madrid
The best way is to buy the stuff and find a place to cook whtevr you want at your level of taste (which I do ..ofcourse!) and thats how I survive with my cravings sometimes. It wont be a universal advice but it works in spain. Indian restuarants are not really with 'the original Indian' flavour to say to speak 'cause I tried in several and found not even close to what I cook at home! My friend, you are welcome to join the dinner ;-)

#26614 - 06/06/06 10:56 AM Re: Madrid - Chinese/indian food
Jordi Offline

Loc: Berlin
Chinese food: I have sampled Chinese food in several European countries, and I can't really say I found the Spanish variety of it very impressive. Perhaps I chose the wrong places, but I found the ingredients of bad quality (particulary in terms of the oil used).

German food: it's Bratwurst, not Brautwurst. A Brautwurst would be "bride's sausage" .... and I leave it to the reader whatever imagination this triggers with him or her .... ;-)

#26615 - 06/06/06 03:31 PM Re: Madrid - Chinese/indian food
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I totally agree with you - I have never cared for the Chinese food in Spain - that is the one food I really miss from the US is the good chinese food!

#26616 - 06/06/06 03:31 PM Re: Madrid - Chinese/indian food
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I totally agree with you - I have never cared for the Chinese food in Spain - that is the one food I really miss from the US is the good chinese food!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1513 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments