Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26407 - 12/02/00 09:37 PM Vegetarians?
MarkB Offline

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
I'm wondering if there are any standard vegetarian dishes/meals I'll be able to order when we're in Madrid/Andalucia next week. I'm not militantly vegetarian, so I can eat meat if that's the only choice, but after years on an exclusively veg. diet, it doesn't always digest so well, if you know what I mean.

Are there any vegetarians on the board who can share any tips with me? Otherwise, I'll be forced to live on bread, cheese, and *beer* . . .

(okay, I can deal with that )

#26408 - 12/02/00 09:52 PM Re: Vegetarians?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi MarkB! While I'm no vegetarian, you'll find many things to eat, but more things you can't. Luckily however, you aren't a militant vegetarian because meats/fish are everywhere. A semi-vegetarian "board member" was there recently and was loving the tortilla patata/español a lot (as I do!), if you don't mind eating eggs. This has egg, milk, onions, potatoes, and...umm.. that's about it!

Let's see... what else... Hey, how 'bout seafood? It's not REALLY considered a meat, is it? hehehe.. You got'cher paella 'dere, and yer garbanzos and potato soup (if you can get it without chorizo/sausage that is) and what else... Okay folks, help me out here!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26409 - 12/02/00 10:02 PM Re: Vegetarians?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
OK, MM, I'll help you out: who would ever put MILK in a tortilla de patatas, as you suggest?!?!?! sacrilegio! As for veggie dishes... champiniones al ajillo, pimientos (asados, de padron)-- oops, that's peppers-- i love menestra de verduras (veggies in an almost ratatouille preparation). If you can eat cheese, live on manchego and good bread and wine and desserts!

#26410 - 12/02/00 10:08 PM Re: Vegetarians?
esp Offline

Loc: Redwood City, CA USA
My wife and I are concerned about the same thing. We'll be in Madrid for New Year's, and I'm sure there are plenty of options there (big city, good restaurants), but I'm not sure what to expect in Andalucia, Portugal, and Morrocco. We don't eat pork, and I don't really care for fish (I suppose fresh fish may change that tune). Any other regional specialities we should look for?

#26411 - 12/02/00 10:10 PM Re: Vegetarians?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I'm not a vegetarian either, but here are some ideas. Pisto Manchego is a good vegetable mix of eggplant, onions, and peppers. Menestra de verduras is also a delicious mix of vegetables that is found quite a bit, although bits of serrano ham are sometimes mixed in, if you don't mind picking them out. Salads are available everywhere. Esparragos (asparagus) are excellent, in both green and white, and setas / champiñones (mushrooms), are great, too. Puerros (leeks) can be found, cooked and with a fresh mayonnaise sauce. Revueltos are omelettes, and are often made with vegetables. It's not the season, but gazpacho is a good choice. Winter is the time for delicious bean dishes, but these almost always have some meat in them. When you go to a restaurant, look at the list of primeros platos (first courses), as that's where the vegetable dishes are. The normal way to order is to ask for a first course (vegetable, rice or pasta dish) and a second course (meat ot fish), but you can order two firsts. An eyebrow may go up slightly, but it really is no big deal. I do hope you eat seafood, because Spain's seafood is some of the best you can eat anywhere in the world!

You may want to run a search for good vegetarian restaurants. There's a thread in here somewhere with suggestions. Have a good time!

#26412 - 12/03/00 01:08 AM Re: Vegetarians?
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
In Granada (I don't remember the name of the place) we ate at this SMALL little restaurant - there were maybe four tables at most - and they had the BEST falafel. It is not a Spanish dish, but there is no meat and it tastes GOOD. I'm sure that there are many places in the south that serve it since there is such a strong Arabic influence there.

#26413 - 12/03/00 08:39 AM Re: Vegetarians?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You're right of course, rgf. I have never made nor have I ever seen a tortilla patata made with milk. I forgot myself for a moment, thinking about the omelettes Mom used to make back home. Sorry!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26414 - 12/03/00 09:10 AM Re: Vegetarians?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
whew, MM, that is a relief that you never have seen milk in a tortilla! Yes, a little milk and cheese in an omelette is great if it is an american dish! Ever notice how Spanish cooking really isn't 'milk' oriented (or cheese, either, for that matter) compared w/ USA? The only exceptions are those nasty desserts (cuajada, arroz con leche, etc).

#26415 - 12/03/00 01:28 PM Re: Vegetarians?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Hey MarkB, check out Softguides.com under Madrid eating...they list about 10 different vegetarian restaraunts, all pretty centrally located...
Though i'm not a vegetarian by any means, I once ate at El Estragón in Plaza Paja, near La Latina (I think). The ambiente was cozy and the food was delicious!!!!

#26416 - 12/04/00 10:14 AM Re: Vegetarians?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MarkB, I don't eat meat either - a little bit in Spain but never at home. If you are not a strict vegitarian, the fish in Spain is superb as is the chicken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments