Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#26343 - 11/28/00 10:53 PM Re: Favorite Food/Meal
Jaime Offline

I guess it is pretty simliar MadridMan but the other one was pretty focused on recipes and fabada. I was thinking of just a list of fave foods. Sorry if its repetitive.....
I also love gambas and champinones al ajillo. The mixture of olive oil, lemon, parsley and garlic is good with anything in my opinion. I love tortilla, and paella too but it has to be done right. The more ingredients in a paella the better. Pimientos are awesome when baked and marinated in vinegar, oil and garlic. There also great cure for a hangover!

#26344 - 11/28/00 11:34 PM Re: Favorite Food/Meal
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
I love Spanish food, and have yet to encounter an unfavorable experience. My favotite meal would have to be my last one in Spain, as my memory is freshest.

Rape, with white asparagus from Aranjuez, finished off with anis from Chinchon and a cafe cortado.

My mouth is watering and my stomach is growling from the thought of this gastronomical ecstacy.

#26345 - 11/29/00 02:49 AM Re: Favorite Food/Meal
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
i'm guessing this is as good a time as any to add to this list. i just now returned from treating myself to a few tapas at my favorite spanish restaurant here in san francisco.(pulpo a la gallega, patatas bravas, conejo con tomate and of course a glass of tio pepe) didn't celebrate thanksgiving this year, so this was my version. anyway, back to what we're all talking about...favorite meals in spain. ah, its so very hard to narrow this down to one. =) all were amazing.

-i touched on this one before, my splurge of a meal at el caballo rojo in cordoba. rape mozarabe and sopa de ajo con uvas under the wall of the mezquita. for someone who is an amateur historian and hopeless romantic... the thought that i was in the former capital of al-andalus and eating food based on those from the times of the caliphs was just wonderful. the added bonus; everything i ate was amazing.

-fritura de pescado and espinacas con garbanzos in sevilla. it was a tiny little place near the guadalquivir. had this just before i headed to el arenal for my first experience with flamenco in spain.

-i would say the first two nights in madrid. tortilla, jamon, champinones al ajillo, gambas a la plancha at casa de abuelo and empanadas de bacalao. i agree with you nicole on the difference between empanadas in spain as opposed from those of argentina.

-my last has already been mentioned. its a mildly funny story while i was in toledo. i believe its under the title of cheap eats from some time ago. if anyone seriously is interested or inherently bored, do a search and enjoy the read.

#26346 - 11/29/00 08:26 AM Re: Favorite Food/Meal
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Antonio, it is, of course, LUBIGANTE, not lubricante (unless it is really oily?!??!!), and if you don't know what it is you have never been to La Corunya! Es una especie de langosta.

#26347 - 11/29/00 05:55 PM Re: Favorite Food/Meal
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
albondigas
serranito-un bocadillito con lomo, jamon serrano y pimiento. mmm mmmm!

#26348 - 11/29/00 08:54 PM Re: Favorite Food/Meal
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
mama's and abuela's food... I MISS IT!!!!

#26349 - 11/30/00 03:16 PM Re: Favorite Food/Meal
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
anyone ever had a pig-kidney sandwich?? i'm not going to say it was the best snack i've ever had, but it was a pretty darn good sandwich... i though it was mushrooms at first, but then my friend told me... it was good!

best food = i don't know, but i like it all.

try these:
1. cocido (con jamon serrano, cordero, gallina...) a stew made with three good meats, garbanzos, cauliflower, garlic, laurel, etc... then take out the broth and boil fideos (little tiny pastas) for a small soup before the rest of the meal...

2. ajo (comida de guerra - wartime food they ate in la mancha during the civil war) take the grease/fat (yes, lard) from a previously cooked meat, add a ton of garlic, red or white wine, olive oil, and flour (old left-over bread that is dry and crunchy)... cook it really hot in a pan until it's a thick paste, spread on bread and eat until full! excellent! it's the type of meal that you and your friends all eat from the same pan, dipping your bread in it...

3. pisto manchego - sweet red bell peppers and tomatos that are fire-roasted and then fried in olive oil... cut the pepper into wide, long strands before frying...

4. pipirana - albacore tuna, onion, garlic, salt and olive oil all mixed together and then you eat it with a big chunk of bread..

5. galeones (i'll explain later..)

[my edit]
ps> oh man! how could i not mention fabada asturiana!!?!?!?!?!!! i think that has to be my fave!

[This message has been edited by real_megia (edited 11-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by real_megia (edited 11-30-2000).]

#26350 - 11/30/00 03:42 PM Re: Favorite Food/Meal
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Damn, I'm getting hungry

#26351 - 11/30/00 07:31 PM Re: Favorite Food/Meal
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Any gazpacho-addicts out there?

#26352 - 11/30/00 07:37 PM Re: Favorite Food/Meal
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
yuck

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2941 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments