Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#26323 - 11/17/00 07:46 PM Casa Mingo; vía metro Norte (Madrid)
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
For a great meal of queso cabrales, sidra asturiana, and pollo asado, try Casa Mingo accessible via metro Norte, from Opera.

This places is great! i've been trying to think of the name of it for a while and now all of a sudden i remember it! (i'm so happy, becuase now that it's getting cooler and i can smell wood burning (roasted castañas) and such, it reminds me of going to Casa Mingo).

It is actually situated down the hill on the west side of the Palacio Real... so you can walk there many ways, but by taking the metro to Opera, and then getting going to metro Norte you can get there quickly. They used to have a free bus that you could take there. or you can walk down the hill on the other side of the Plaza de España (west side) and get down to it too...

One of the things i like about it is that they pour the sidra from the bottle very high above the glass (i guess that is the way to pour sidra) so that it can breath... the whole place smells like sidra and pollo asado.. very nice!

Anyway, I implore all who are going to Madrid to check it out! it is golden!

¡viva cabrales!

#26324 - 10/29/01 12:28 PM Re: Casa Mingo; vía metro Norte (Madrid)
hsilcox Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
I can only concur. When I lived/worked in Spain in 1975/76, I lived across the street from Casa Mingo (No. 3, Avda. de Valladolid), and it became my very regualr stopping place after work (I taught English at a Centro de Idiomas near Quatro Caminos and would head home at around ten each night.)

I would stop off for an empanada and a cidra (or two) every night. One of my fondest memories of Spain.

When, earier this year, I began planning my return to Spain with my partner, I mentioned that I wanted to take him to Casa Mingo. He asked, "How do you know it'll still be there ... after twenty five years ...?" I assured him it would be there.

It was. It had not changed since 1976. The smell brought me back completely. Between the aroma of baking chickens and the bouquet of generations upon generations of cider barrrels ... the scent is unique and indescribable.

We had one of the best meals we had in all of Spain at Casa Mingo (and we ate in some pretty "impressive" places!).

Your first visit to Madrid? Go to the Prado and go to Casa Mingo.

#26325 - 10/30/01 07:57 AM Re: Casa Mingo; vía metro Norte (Madrid)
Celia U Offline

Loc: Madrid
I agree with you. I love Casa Mingo. I used to go there very oftenly with a group of friends (They have big tables)

Have you tried their "chorizo a la sidra"? I can't think of it. It's one o'clock over here and I'm starving.

The Metro Norte has changed name into Principe Pio from there if you don't want to walk you can take the bus 46 or 39 which stop just at the door.

Qué aproveche!

Celia

#26326 - 11/07/01 07:57 AM Re: Casa Mingo; vía metro Norte (Madrid)
el Perrito Offline

Loc: Suecia
Thank you. Mee too I have been trying to remember the name of this truly great restaurant. Not only good food and a nivce interior. Note the blend of peole. Your'e likely find 3-piece suites next to families or/and students. Didn't go last time in Madrid but I'll definately go next time.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1530 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments