Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#26290 - 11/15/00 12:23 PM Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
Artie Offline

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I mentioned to my son that I had heard a lot about roast suckling pig in Spain, and found out he had never had it during his 2 years in Spain. Any suggestions as to a place that does a good job on this dish, but would not cost me an arm and a leg? We will be in the Gran Via (Madrid) area, and there will be 7 adults eating.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#26291 - 11/15/00 12:36 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Artie!! Are you asking about the Gran Vía in Sevilla, Barcelona, or Madrid? In fact, I think near every city in Spain has one. Regardless, they say that Segovia (maybe they have a Gran Vía too) is THE place (in Spain) for suckling pig, but I understand Chinchon is known for it too. I had cochinillo at El Candido in Segovia, but I understand El Duque is even better for this. Postings have been made about both these places in this forum.

In Madrid at least, El Botín restaurant (just outside the southwest corner of the Plaza Mayor) is well known for this, but I understand the quality has declined in recent years with the steep rise in tourism. Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas (ALSO at the southwest corner of the Plaza Mayor, but UNDER the corner) is also known for it. I ate this here and loved it.

Hope you enjoy it.....once you get past the sight of the split open baby pig with what was left of his stomach/chest staring up at you. hehehe.. And don't "tweak" their little piggy noses. They don't like that.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26292 - 11/15/00 12:54 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
Artie Offline

Sorry, I forgot to say we will be in Madrid. About how much will I be looking at for a meal such as this?

#26293 - 11/15/00 04:37 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Let me say first that I envy you...

Botín's is good for the old atmosphere, but Luís Candelas is better for food. We had cochinillo at Botín, and though it didn't measure up to Mesón Candido in Segovia, it was certainly palatable, if not "good".

I wish I could remember the exact prices, but as I recall the prices were about 4000 ptas. per person (which is about $23 USD as of today). We didn't order wine, but that's about what the meal would cost, since I do consume an inordinate amount of bottled water at a sitting. Luis Candelas is actually about 1000 ptas more per person, but as mentioned and seconded, the food is a bit better. Here's a good idea: Go both places and enjoy!!! Pig out!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 02-23-2001).]

#26294 - 11/16/00 05:41 AM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
Celia U Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi Artie,

I recommend you to go to Segovia to eat Cochinillo, I went to visit La Granja a year ago and we had a delicious one in a restaurant near by. I don`t remember the name, it was not too expensive and we ate like "pigs". You can profit and visit the beutiful city of Segovia. I will come back this winter before it gets too cold.

Regards,
Celia

------------------
Airport shuttle, limousine service and car rental.
http://www.aerocity.com

#26295 - 11/17/00 07:05 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
artie:

well, i did a bit of research from my receipts and other collectables. the casa duque in segovia(THE city to have cochinillo), according to my bill i paid 2200pts for this amazing dish.

as for luis candelas...hahahhaa my trusty "borrowed" menu says that cochinillo is 2500pts.

#26296 - 12/26/00 10:43 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
Artie Offline

We just returned from Madrid. It was as beautiful as promised. We made it to Botin's for dinner, and the food and atmosphere were great. I would definitely recommend it for a special night out. They were very patient with my fractured Spanish, and even more impressive, they were so kind with my year old grandson. All in all, it was a great experience.

#26297 - 02/23/01 07:31 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Okay, having checked out all these cochinillo posts, I have to ask a rather silly question...what does it LOOK like when it arrives at your table (MadridMan, is it really a whole little pig?)? My husband and I will be in Spain next week, and I want to try it, but he's a bit put off by the idea of a plate full of baby pig. He's also one of those people who doesn't like to think about where in the food chain he is...frozen boneless chicken breasts sort of make him queasy.

So I need to be able to prepare him mentally, because I for one will try it!!
Tara

#26298 - 02/23/01 09:48 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
taravb (I'm SO happy you joined our passionate group!!), you can order cochinillo in several forms. Few people order a WHOLE one because it's simply TOO MUCH for one person, but it can be ordered as such for two. It would probably be served whole, lying on its back with its snout pointin horizontally and its 4 legs spread in the "spread eagle" manner. Most people order a half or quarter cochinillo. The whole piglet is really quite small looking. It probably measures about 12-14 inches.

Keep in mind that Spain likes their food to look natural. You'll see grilled fish with head and tail, calamares with the mantle (head) and tentacles, whole crabs, and octopus to name a few. Walk through any fresh-food market and you'll see what I mean too.

I, for one, LOVE cochinillo/roasted suckling pig. MMmmmm... SO juicy, tender, and delicious. (VERY fattening, of course, too) Enjoy it! I know you will. Can anyone else give a better description? I've only had it a couple of times and LOVED it both times (at Mesón Candido in Segovia and at Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas in Madrid).

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26299 - 02/24/01 06:07 AM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Tara:
You can see the whole piglet after it is roasted (if you like). At Casa Duque in Segovia, the Maestro Asador uses the side of a plate to cut the cochinillo asado and puts the cuttings on a serving plate. And what you get delivered to your table is just like roast pork.

You might do better in the Salamanca area. Its proximity to Portugal would suggest this to me: the Portuguese Leitao Asado tends to be less fatty than Spain's cochinillo asado.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments