Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#26300 - 02/24/01 02:21 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, taravb! There is a tiny photo of cochinillo on the Meson Candido site MM mentioned, and there's a bigger photo at this website: http://bigote.virtualave.net/caceres/Gastronomia/Cochinillo%20al%20horno.htm

If you prefer that the whole pig is not brought to your table, I'm sure you can request that. Do try it! It's wonderful!

#26301 - 02/24/01 05:51 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, everyone--
Thanks for the suggestions and descriptions. Perhaps the place in Segovia where the asador cuts it with a plate is best for us--I looked at the photo and can't imagine my husband trying it!! I'm not even sure I would know where to begin eating it.

As for Spaniards liking their food to look natural, I can only say that we Americans tend to be the opposite, at least in practice...so many of the foods we eat are unidentifiable as coming from any animal or plant at all! I prefer the Spanish way, I think--at least for most things. I had some of the best fruits and vegetables EVER there, and I'm sure it was because they didn't try to make them look like something they were not (oranges in nature are not all orange and waxy, for example!). We Americans seem to be happiest with food that looks like plastic!

And that piglet just looks like, well, a pig.

But I'm so Americanized that it's hard to look at that photo and think, "yum"--yet!! Maybe next week!
Tara

#26302 - 02/27/01 01:01 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
Artie Offline

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
At Botin's, the pig is brought whole to the dining area, but is carved discretely away from the actual dining table, as such, you can see the whole pig if you wish, or just see the delicious pieces of pork on the plate.

#26303 - 02/27/01 03:25 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
Elaine Offline

Loc: Stroudsburg, Pa.
Botin is a wonderful place, interesting history, atmosphere tops (although top floor is least favorite) but the suckling pig is for the birds and even they might not be too crazy over it. Definately not the pork taste we are use to in America. We were both disappointed. We'd go back for a different entre however.

#26304 - 02/27/01 09:49 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, it's a good thing to point out that meat does taste slightly different in different places. And young pork does have a slightly different taste than older pork (and it's much more tender). I guess it's just a matter of, well, taste! I find the biggest difference in the taste of lamb - I'll happily eat lamb in Spain, but you can't get me near it in America!

#26305 - 02/28/01 05:10 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Diana- The only reason you don't like lamb in the US is because you haven't had it cooked by Basque experts here in California...next time you're out this way, drop me a line...you won't be sorry!!!

We just had a Basque club dinner and dance group from Spain come last weekend and the lamb was the best yet: Chops, chilindrón, queso manchego, pan and alubias. I was in heaven!!! (Sorry I didn't post for Shawn and Nicole...next time, YOU GUYS ARE COMING!)

#26306 - 02/28/01 06:14 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Elaine:
The point of eating suckling pig is that it does not taste the way pork tastes in America.
O well, more for me.
Cantabene

#26307 - 01/06/02 11:20 AM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
MadridMan's Review of Restaurante Duque in Segovia

WOW! What a place!! Just past Segovia's dominating aqueduct and up the hill and on the left on Cervantes, 12 you'll find the historic DUQUE Restuarante.

Nearly as old and just as beautiful as Mesón Cándido (but without the overrated fame and failing quality - as I understand it), DUQUE Restaurante was the PERFECT place to have cochinillo (roasted suckling pig -- Segovia's specialty!). Three of us went to Segovia on New Year's Day and found the city with the Roman aqueduct as beautiful as I last saw her in 1995.

The three of us (my ladyfriend, her friend, and I) sat upstairs in a nearly empty room.. I think there were only 4 or 5 tables taken in the entire place on this New Years Day at 3pm.

We started with a plate of embutido (variados de ibericos), then a bowl of delicious and HUGE kidney beans in a spicy sauce (judiones gran Duque), and then for the entre, my ladyfriend and I both had the cochinillo asado (roasted suckling pig). And there it was on a big plate as the waiter cut it into pieces for us. I had one quarter piglet from (and including!) the ear and a leg (WITH HOOF/pata!). It was SOOOOO good and SO juicy, of course. Just delicious! My ladyfriend's friend has the cordero (lamb) - which I ALSO love, but had had recently. Afterall, SEGOVIA is THE PLACE for cochinillo!!! We ordered a bottle of the house red wine which happened to be a Rioja: Marques Arienzo Crianza , a good, basic tinto.

We finished off the meal with ONE order of Ponche Segoviano with our one coffee apiece. It was alllll good, about $30/person. Maybe a little pricey for lunch (remember, LUNCH is the big meal of the day in Spain) but it was a special visit and a special place.

UNFORTUNATELY, the one DOWNSIDE to the meal was that we were OVERCHARGED mad , the receipt stating we ordered two Ponche Segoviano when we only ordered one, and charging us for 6 coffees when we only had 3. These things sometimes (not often) happen in restaurants, whether on purpose or not, so BE ALERT and CHECK THE BILL BEFORE PAYING/leaving (UNlike me. Grrrr.. mad ). SEE THE ITEMIZED BILL HERE (98kb). <-Notice the prices are ONLY in Euros! rolleyes

So that's that! After that wonderful (and filling!!) meal we walked around Sevogia and saw the sites and Alcazár/Castle. I give Restaurante Duque two thumbs UP!!!

With growling stomach in memory of cochinillo, MadridMan :p

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26308 - 01/06/02 11:39 AM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
We too went to Segovia it was most enjoyable and beautiful. I'd like to return and stay overnite. A number of nice looking restaurants around the Plaza Mayor. We ate at a place called Jose's--it was basically good, but I have to tell you I did not enjoy the suckling pig. I don't know if it was me or the way the restaurant prepared it. The meat was very fatty, tho tasty, but the awful smell/taste of the roasted/hard fried pig skin that covered it stayed with me (unpleasantly) for days. I'd say that was the only unpleasant food item in my whole Spain trip.

#26309 - 01/06/02 08:05 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia)
ChicaGuay Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
HEY! If for some reason you cannot makeit to Spain and still wish to taste their delicious Suckling Pig, (Cochinillo, Lechon asado), come to Miami, Suckling Pig here is everywhere, and as delicious as the Spain one, you can try that dish with the tropical version,: Rice and black beans, Ripe sweet fried plantains, yucca with mojo and Crema Catalana or Tocinillo del Cielo as dessert.
By the way, we also have CASA BOTIN here, it is the same as the one in Madrid, a bit expensive, yes, but really good.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2722 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments