Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26279 - 11/15/00 05:00 AM Ciudad de Tui (Madrid)
Xena Offline

Loc: Bucharest
This is the best place for eating and drinking where I have been. I really love it.
It is located on Montera 22, near Puerta de Sol, and there are very kind and hospitable waiters (and the owner too).
From the second time when we enter the place we were offered a free drink (well not only one cause they gave us a botlle of about 400ml), a "digestive" ojoro de herbes, I don't know if the spelling is correct, a kind of liqueur, but not so sweet, it has a very good taste anyway. They said it is the house drink, it is made by themselves and I love it.
We ate almost everything on the menu, I love the seafood and the octopuss was prepared in a special way, it tasted like chorizo a little. The prices are: 1200 psts for 100 gr, 1900 pst for 250 gr, 2400 pst for 500 gr.

Their speciality is merluza and seafood in a white sauce, a very great dish, light and tasty. The price is around 2400, one of the most expensive dishes in this restaurant.

Also I heartily recommend the roast beef escalope (or something like that) a piece of meet 400 cm lenght, covered with cheese and eggs. And of course potatoes and the roast pepper. The price is 1800 pst, a great value cause as I said it's huge.

The grilled seafood is great, prices are from 1500 pst to 2500 (for assorted seafood), I ate almost only seafood and fish all of my trip to Madrid and I never taste anything like this untill now. I really love it, all the seafood and the fish in Madrid are fresh, bought in the morning from the market.

The menu del dia is 1100 pst or 1500 pst and you can choose between three, four courses. For example grilled salmon or roast beef for the second course, seafood soup or consome for the first one and so on.

Another lovely surprise was the house new white wine, some Ribeiro. It was 1200 pst, the cheapest on the menu, dry to demi sweet, and very little sparkling. Delicious. Once (before going to a disco) we drank 2 bottles (and some free orijo after that) just to get in the mood . It was my favorite, I like it more than some other old wines and it's very good for the meals.

I will really miss this reastaurant, the atmosfere is great, there are a lot of spaniards in there which are drinking and talking sometimes loud, but allways very friendly and kind.

#26280 - 11/15/00 08:55 AM Re: Ciudad de Tui (Madrid)
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Xena,

I really enjoy reading your Spain experience. I will be in Spain next month and I have been making copies of your Spain trip report. Thank you so much fo taking time to write your experiences and sharing themn with us -- Spain enthusiasts.

I love seafood and definetly will have them everyday. I live in the U.S. and seafood here costs a lot compared to chichen and beef.

#26281 - 11/16/00 03:56 AM Re: Ciudad de Tui (Madrid)
Xena Offline

i have just found the correct spelling for the free drink: it's orujo de hierves

#26282 - 11/16/00 04:38 AM Re: Ciudad de Tui (Madrid)
francisco Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi Xena,

Couldn't it be "orujo de hierbas"? (Which actually I've heard of, but not the "hierves" one).

Saludos

#26283 - 11/16/00 04:47 AM Re: Ciudad de Tui (Madrid)
Xena Offline

the waiter wrote this on a piece of paper cause I asked him to
so I must descifer his writing, perhaps it was as you said
hierbas means herbs?

#26284 - 11/16/00 07:24 AM Re: Ciudad de Tui (Madrid)
francisco Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yes. And BTW, it is a little bit strong

#26285 - 11/16/00 08:14 AM Re: Ciudad de Tui (Madrid)
Xena Offline

It's strong indeed. 43 degrees. But it has a really great taste AND one day healed my stomach ache, so it's digestive too.
1500 pst a bottle of 750 grams (I brought one home)

#26286 - 11/16/00 09:01 AM Re: Ciudad de Tui (Madrid)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Sounds like a great 'digestivo'! I think 1200 for a Ribeiro is a lot. In Galicia, in bars or casual restaurants, the Ribeiros go for around 700-800 pesetas while the Vin~o do Albarin~o (the GOOD STUFF!!) 1500-2000 for a bottle. The best Ribeiro is Ribeiro Joven ('young"): fruity, fresh.... with some Ostras del Arcade and I am in HEAVEN!!!

#26287 - 11/16/00 09:36 AM Re: Ciudad de Tui (Madrid)
Xena Offline

yes, rgf, Ribeiro Joven was the wine I was talking about
a little sparkling too and delicious
do you think you can find it cheaper in some other places?
I wanted to buy some for home but I couldn't find it anywhere

#26288 - 11/16/00 09:51 AM Re: Ciudad de Tui (Madrid)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
OK, 1200 for a joven is OK (that's usually 900 in galcia!). The best place to get it to take home would be the very bar itself, since it is hard to find ribeiro joven in stores in madrid i think... those barmen probably would have GIVEN you a bottle con gusto since you were such a great guest!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments