Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#26154 - 10/18/00 03:02 AM Food on the brain
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
O.k. all this talk about food is getting me to think about shipping food and/or accessories back when I go to Madrid. How easy is this to do? Would I be better off just carrying it with me? And how many stipulations/travel restrictions are there placed on transporting food or food items from Spain, if any? I am particularly thinking of the cafe con leche maker and wine.

#26155 - 10/18/00 07:11 AM Re: Food on the brain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You should have no problem with a 'cafetera expres' and a reasonable amount of wine. Distilled spirits are another matter: You can only bring in one liter duty free. And you will probably have to leave the chorizos & morcillas and jamones and quesos behind.

#26156 - 10/18/00 10:15 AM Re: Food on the brain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Sheba, There is no problem bring back coffee. Jamon, etc. isn't allowed. Canned goods and/or bottled goods - i.e. olives/olive oil are okay. There was a discussion somewhere about how much wine is acceptable - 1 litre vs. 2 litres. I bring back half a dozen (much as I can cram into a small suitcase all safely wrapped in dirty clothes). Be sure you check with your local wine stores first - buy only what you either REALLY love or what is not affordable in the US or what is not available (a lot!!!) Perfume, shoes, purses, leather goods, etc all okay. Make sure you get a tax rebate receipt when shopping - I can't recall what the full value of purchase must be to get this credit - this is redeemable at airport upon departure. You will have to check the internet / perhaps the airlines knows the current correct amount to qualify. Nor is it available on wine - besides - if you are sneaking in an extra bottle you don't want to declare it! I think you were planning on being in Madrid - let us know - perhaps we can give you a couple of leads on good places to buy that wine.

Oops - forgot - if you love jamon amd all the rest of the yummy food - try www.tienda.com when you return - they carry good products ....

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 10-18-2000).]

#26157 - 10/18/00 01:13 PM Re: Food on the brain
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
You actually can bring back the cheese, but only if it is queso entero, meaning not cut at all but the whole round. We bring some back to the States every trip and never have had a problem. Also, La Espanola Meats has a great website now and offers all the Spanish food you can think of, from boquerones en vinagre to tomate frito (mi esposo's favorite). missmadrid has their link on her website!
Buen provecho!

#26158 - 10/21/00 11:50 AM Re: Food on the brain
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I'll happily confirm the quality and authenticity of the products from La Espanola Meats. I spent years trying to find a decent morcilla in the US. I ended my search there. They have both the rice and onion types, equally delicious. Their morcilla, with the availabilty of the genuine smoked Spanish paprika, which is available from several sources, finally enabled me replicate some favorite Spanish dishes as well as I can remember them.

Spanish food is probably the hardest to replicate in the USA because of the difficulty of getting the proper ingredients. But with patience it can be done. The great foods still missing are the cuchinillo and cordero. They simply don't slaughter these animals as young here as they do in Spain. So I must still get on a plane if I want to enjoy those particular delights.
Cantabene

#26159 - 10/21/00 04:37 PM Re: Food on the brain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
While it's not legal to carry meats, fruits, or plants over the border from/to Spain and I wouldn't do it myself, but I know of one person (M.R.) who had chorizo, jamon, and lomo tightly wrapped, odorless from the outside, and buried in a the bottom of a purse and she wasn't stopped or checked or anything. SUCCESS!! The worse they'll do it take it from you.

Cigars are the same thing. If you want to bring those Spain-bought cuban cigars to the USA you know that it's illegal and you could go to jail for contraband if caught. For this reason, I KNOW OF SOMEONE who took off the label wrapper, removed them from the box, and packed them in a regular sandwich bag. They just look like cigars ... which they are. No origin evident.

I've used Tienda.com many times and love their Spanish products like those I listed above. I haven't yet tried La Española Meats .

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26160 - 10/21/00 10:21 PM Re: Food on the brain
Wendy E Offline

Both times I went to Spain I brought back Cubans for my dad. I always gift-wrapped them (since both times I was returning around Christmas time), but even that was needless since my bags weren't checked. I know a guy who wraps puts his dirty underwear (shorts, shirts and socks) around whatever he's trying to hide (usually booze) and it works everytime - although I would not recommend that method with food.

I think pretty much it depends on luck - in December I flew in from London and was sniffed, searched and questioned (but I didn't have any cigars!)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1672 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments