Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25940 - 09/17/00 11:15 PM 14 year olds.....
cbear Offline

Loc: mpls, mn,usa
my friend and i are both 14, we are coming to visit my grandma who lives in madrid. are there any night clubs that we could go to at our age?? or anything like that??? and anything else that anyone would think that would be fun for us to do. we're two 14 year olds from minnesota, usa who like to have a lot of fun!!!

#25941 - 09/18/00 03:54 AM Re: 14 year olds.....
francisco Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi,

I don´t know if you are kidding about going to night clubs being 14. At least, if you want to go at NIGHT.

However, I remember that some years ago there where some discos that opened at evenings on weekends (until 9-10 pm) for people of your age, where they didn´t sell alcohol.

Sadly, I don´t know if this still exists nowadays, nor where they were/are.

Saludos.

#25942 - 09/18/00 09:30 AM Re: 14 year olds.....
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Just get off the metro at CHUECA during the weekends and you will find lots of street action, parties, etc for all ages from post lunch time thru the late evening hours. I think that's your best bet. Plus hanging around the retiro.

#25943 - 09/18/00 09:51 AM Re: 14 year olds.....
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
I think you should forget about night clubs, but you can always order a drink in a bar (not sure they'll serve you alcohol though). Spanish teenagers hang out with each other everywhere and every neighbourhood (barrio) seems to have its meeting place, generally a small square or something similar. Find out from your grandma where the nearest place is where people go to "dar un paseo" (go for a stroll) in the evening (starting about 6pm). Go there, and there'll be groups of teenagers all over the place. After that, it's up to you!

#25944 - 09/18/00 02:28 PM Re: 14 year olds.....
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi cbear. There are some places in Madrid for teenagers. They are just like regular discos but they won't serve alcohol. Usually teenagers get together in a park and drink alcohol but I strongly recomend you not to do so. I think that Spaniars teenager drink too much, their favourite thing to do in the weekends is going outside and get drunk, but you don't want to do that when you are in a foreigner country that you don't know and I bet you don't want to give problems to your grandma. I know, I sound like a mother, but I've been there and it is not fun.
You will have tons of friends, if there are teenagers in the neighborhood just go there, introduce yourself and they they will accept you in their group (unless things have changed a lot) and you have the advantage that you are a foreigner and they would be the coolest group if they have the foriegners, so they would love to have you there.
Have fun!

#25945 - 09/19/00 08:15 AM Re: 14 year olds.....
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
The Parque de Atracciones should be fun for a 14-year old. Also, Go up the 92-meter "half-UFO-on-a-stick" El Faro de Moncloa observation tower on the west side of the old city center, metro stop MONCLOA. THIS provides GREAT views of this side of the city and valley (the tower is closed on Monday). And yes, I think there are teenage clubs in Madrid, but I don't know any of their names. I'm sure your grandma will have PLENTY of things for you to do while you're there. If you're lucky, you'll meet some others your age and they'll quickly "enlighten" you, I'm sure.

And Nuria, mi novia madrileña tells me the same thing about present day teens in Madrid, that they only want to get drunk drunk drunk on the weekends. She says it never used to be this way and is a shameful change for the worse.

Have fun in Madrid and Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25946 - 09/19/00 03:16 PM Re: 14 year olds.....
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I don't understand rgf's obsession for Chueca. Chueca is the gay area and, unless they are gays, it doesn't make sense to go out in a gay area.

I have a list of about 500 places to go out in Madrid. Don't you think they are enough?.

I hope nobody thinks I'm against gays or something like that. In fact, I think Chueca is a good place to go out but it is mainly for gays. You will find there gay bars, clubs, shops and even gay hostels.

There are many areas to go out in Madrid: Moncloa, Argüelles, Bilbao, Malasaña, Alonso Martínez, Huertas or even the Castellana (eg. Avenida del Brasil area).

By the way, I wouldn't recommend Huertas for young teenagers. Most people in Huertas are over 20. If you want to meet people of your ages you may want to try Moncloa instead. The youngest people used to go out there (I don't know if it's still the same).

[Before someone complains about my comments on Huertas, I would like to say that it is a great area to go out. I just wanted to say that they won't probably meet people of their age there].

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#25947 - 09/20/00 05:40 AM Re: 14 year olds.....
francisco Offline

I totally agree with Antonio about the Chueca thing.

And also about Huertas.

I would recommend Moncloa or Argüelles, although they may be too young EVEN there. (maybe not).

Well, I'd have finished before if I had just quoted the whole Antonio's post

Saludos.

#25948 - 09/20/00 01:23 PM Re: 14 year olds.....
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Obsession with Chueca? hmmm, I think you are reading too much into my recommending an area, that while primarily gay, has lots of street action and stuff going on for all age groups. It's lively, a small area, fun to walk around in, etc. Arguelles/Moncloa are huge residential/univ areas, and if you don't have anything specific to head for, what will the 14 year olds find there? Chueca, en cambio, is like the Village in New York. Lots of gay action, but also just INTERESTING. Hence the appeal.

#25949 - 09/20/00 01:51 PM Re: 14 year olds.....
Castiza Offline

When I was 14 I used to go out around Bilbao-Tribunal area. Alonso Martínez is very near too. Try also Moncloa-Argüelles. Teenagers go out earlier on weekends (from 7 to 11). I've seen lots of them (14-17 y.o.) in the metro on Saturday evenings (8-9 p.m.) and they all stop in groups at Bilbao station but I don't know the bars they're going. Maybe following them...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments