Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25926 - 09/14/00 01:49 PM Places to think twice about in Madrid - Los Gabrieles
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Anyone got any places (well-known or otherwise) in Madrid they'd rather not go to? Here's mine. Los Gabrieles a well-known bar in on c/Echegaray (Huertas) with some fancy old tile work advertising Andalucian wine companies etc. It has flamenco shows, appears in guides, etc. It's worth a look. But a canya'll cost you 500 ptas! My wife and I discovered this just before ordering our 3rd round. 2000 ptas for a couple of small beers with no tapas! !Anda ya! I don't know how they get away with it in that area. We moved swiftly on to that vermouth bar on c/Huertas - much better!

#25927 - 09/14/00 04:15 PM Re: Places to think twice about in Madrid - Los Gabrieles
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Canallas! I remember once that they try to do the same thing with me and my friends. We were at a bar in Getafe (outside of Madrid) and when we asked "que te debo?" (How much?) it was something like 5000 (we were 4 people and we only took coffee and some cake) So when the waiter was busy we left the place without paying. Okay, that is not the right thing to do, but as my grandmother said: "Quien roba a un ladron tiene 100 años de perdon"

#25928 - 09/15/00 03:52 AM Re: Places to think twice about in Madrid - Los Gabrieles
francisco Offline

Loc: Madrid
Let´s enrich our friends Spanish vocabulary:

Lesson 1.

> So when the waiter was busy we left the place without paying

This is called: "Hacer un 'sinpa'" (sin-pagar).

Saludos.

#25929 - 09/15/00 06:48 AM Re: Places to think twice about in Madrid - Los Gabrieles
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
>This is called: "Hacer un 'sinpa'" (sin-pagar).

Can we assume this is "andalu" and not castellano?

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25930 - 09/15/00 07:04 AM Re: Places to think twice about in Madrid - Los Gabrieles
El Boqueron Offline

We should have done a sin-pa! We were sitting near the door (o sea, 500 ptas en la barra!).

Nuria - thanks for the saying. I love Spanish expressions!
Poderoso caballero es Don dinero! (o algo asi).

#25931 - 09/15/00 07:51 PM Re: Places to think twice about in Madrid - Los Gabrieles
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Francisco,

Please, don't teach people slang or strange expressions (I've never heard of that one before).

I think it would be better for people to learn Spanish sayings like the ones Nuria and El Boqueron said.

#25932 - 09/16/00 07:14 AM Re: Places to think twice about in Madrid - Los Gabrieles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Los Gabrieles: Echegaray, 17

I agree this place is not cheap at all but not many of the so called "trendy" are. This used to be a flamenco dance-saloon being the tiles more than a hundred years old. It is a very calm, relaxing place in the evening with beautiful lights and soothing flamenco music.
At night it becomes a nightclub with flamenco live music on Tuesdays 10.00pm
If you are looking for beer I would go to Naturbier (Plaza de Santa Ana,9) and try their famous self-made one.

Regards,

------------------
Taste Madrid with:
http://www.walksofspain.com

#25933 - 09/17/00 02:56 PM Re: Places to think twice about in Madrid - Los Gabrieles
WDJunior Offline

The term "sin-pa" really exists. My mother is from Madrid and I have lived there almost all my live an can positively say that "marcarse uns sin-pa" is a very common expression in Spain. And MadridMan: it´s deffinitely not andaluz, buddy!
Saludos y un abrazo!

#25934 - 09/17/00 10:20 PM Re: Places to think twice about in Madrid - Los Gabrieles
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
I find it difficult to order food or drink in Spain unless I see the price list posted outside or a menu. "In the beginning" when I was carefree in my ordering, I was shocked at the prices I was being charged. After three such events in less than a week, I have forever looked for a price list. Does ten dollars for a small milkshake at a regular cafe on Gran Via sound resonable? When I asked to see the menu upon receiving the bill, the waitress and other employees pretended they couldn't understand my spanish. I knew there was a con going on because my spanish language skill was not the problem.

Perhaps this is why so many places post their menu in various languages. Those places know how to protect the tourist and I give them my business.

We love Museo de Jamones! They post a menu, and their prices are shockingly reasonable. The food, drink and atmosphere are the best.

We look forward to finding Bar Brillante in February 2001. It has been a focus of MadridMan's last and upcoming trip to Spain.

#25935 - 09/18/00 09:12 AM Re: Places to think twice about in Madrid - Los Gabrieles
El Boqueron Offline

In the case of Los Gabrieles it's not a "con" - that's the price they really charge. My wife and I are bar fiends, we know our way around, we speak in Spanish (my wife's Andalusian and has been in Madrid dozens of times), but we never got hit for so much anywhere, fancy tiles or not!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments