Topic Options
#25700 - 06/11/00 08:25 AM Bullfights in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
jackiealu
Junior Member posted 06-11-2000 12:04 AM
---------------------------------------------------------
i am leaving for madrid on 10-5 and get there on 10-6. i want to ensure bullfight tickets for sunday 10-8. does anyone know how i should try to do this??

Antonio
Administrator posted 06-11-2000 04:14 AM
------------------------------------------------------------
First, check if there is a bullfighting on that day.
Then, go to http://www.eol.es/lgalicia if you wan to buy tickets in advance. Note that they charge a commission but you can't buy tickets in advance from the bullring.

Saludos,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

MadridMan
Administrator posted 06-11-2000 08:07 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------
Antonio! You've come through again, my man! GREAT LINK! I've just added to my Madrid & Spain Links page @ http://www.MadridMan.com/links.html
People OFTEN ask me if they can buy tickets to the opera/theatre, fútbol/soccer, and bullfights online and until now I don't think you could do it. Thanks again!!

As for bullfights on this date, the link Antonio gave has a list of dates and the Sunday you'll be in Madrid DOES have a bullfight.

For more info about seating and bullfights in Madrid visit the Las Ventas: Plaza de Toros website (only in Spanish) @ http://www.las-ventas.com

Saludos, MadridMan
----------------------
Enjoy books/music/videos/movies from & about Spain? Visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-11-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25701 - 06/11/00 09:35 AM Re: Bullfights in Madrid
jackiealu Offline

Loc: placentia, ca, usa
thank you for the info on getting bullfight tickets. we will only be in madrid on that saturday and sunday (we are on a package tour) and my husband thinks seeing a bullfight would be the highlight of his trip. we will have to give up our tour groups full day trip to toledo, but i hope we can pick up a local morning or half day tour to toledo and still be able to make the bullfight in the afternoon. any suggestions?

#25702 - 06/11/00 09:45 AM Re: Bullfights in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Antonio should be able to comment on the (half-daytrips to Toledo, but as for the bullfights, they start at around 4 or 5pm and lasts about 2.5-3 hours if memory serves correctly. If you read Spanish, you might get more info at the Las Ventas link above.
Have a great time in Spain and be sure to share your experiences here upon returning so we can ALL benefit from your newly-found knowledge.

Saludos, MadridMan
----------------------
Enjoy books/music/videos/movies from & about Spain? Visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-11-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25703 - 06/11/00 11:48 AM Re: Bullfights in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Here I go...

There are half-days guided tours to Toledo. They depart at 8:45 am and take about 5 hours (ie, coming back at 13:45). I guess with these tours you will be able to be in time for the bullfighting.

Three different companies do the same tour: Pullmantur, Trapsatour and Juliá tours. Prices are the same in all of them (5650 pesetas / person).

You can also do it on your own, although it will take you longer. I think half a day is not enough to see Toledo.

Saludos,

Antonio

PS: By the way, if you happen to come to my hostal, I also sell tickets of any of these companies. Oh, and prices are the same (I don't charge any commission).

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#25704 - 06/11/00 01:48 PM Re: Bullfights in Madrid
jackiealu Offline

Loc: placentia, ca, usa
to Antonio and Madridman:
for my sunday in madrid ending with the bullfight, as half day trip to toledo is really not enough time, would we be better off just spending that day in town. i've heard there is a good sunday market somewhere in town and i read on another message that retiro park is a good place to stroll on a sunday, which would you recommend or is it possible to do both on the same day. we would have to miss toledo on this trip, but there is always the next trip. please give me your advise.

#25705 - 06/11/00 01:54 PM Re: Bullfights in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

While it would be a shame to miss Toledo on that Sunday, you WILL have all day to enjoy the goings-on in Madrid's Retiro Park as well as the flea market (called El Rastro) in the Barrio Lavapies.

El Rastro has been taking place for centuries and they sell everything from secondhand bullfighter suits-of-lights to plumbing fixtures, old books and records to new leathergoods. They sell just about everything and it's an absolute MOB-scene!! Thousands of people go every Sunday. Just keep your eyes/hands on your wallet as this is one of the favorite spots for pickpocketers.

So, looks like you'll have PUH-lenty to do during the day in Madrid before the bullfight starts.

Have fun in Madrid/Spain and please return here with your stories and experiences.

Saludos, MadridMan

#25706 - 06/12/00 05:56 AM Re: Bullfights in Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I'll begin by saying I wouldn't cross the street to go to a bullfight. I saw one on TV from my hotel room in Bilbao in April - a dedication of the new Vista Alegre Plaza de Toros in Madrid's Carabanchel area. One of the Toreros was Curro Romero, a grandfather who has been a torero more than 40-years. One of the younger toreros had a good faena and was awarded an ear. Otherwise it was quite boring. I took my son to a corrida in Madrid a few years ago (we videotaped much of it). He was bored as were his friends when we showed them the video.

I might pass up Toledo to go to Segovia for lunch, but I would never pass it up just to go to a bullfight. There's lots better things to do on an early autumn afternoon in Madrid.

#25707 - 06/22/00 02:51 PM Re: Bullfights in Madrid
uphilldeb Offline

Loc: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Hey! I'm going to Spain in Sept/Oct and I just got some information about bullfights for anyone going to Madrid in September and October! I'm not so totally sure about its accuracy since my travel agent is the one who spoke with the guy in Spain (in Spanish), but I thought I'd relay.

Apparently, according to the ticket guy at Localidades Galicia, Plaza del Carmen 1 (tel. 011-34-91-531-2732; metro: Puerto del Sol), there is going to be a bullfight festival from September 1 through October 7. He told my agent that a good seat would be around 10,000 pesetas (about $59, he said). Seats vary from 2,000 to 20,000 pesetas.

He told my agent that it is fine to wait to get the tickets at the arena in Madrid. Here's the arena information:

Plaza Monumental de Toros de las Ventas, Alcala, 237 (tel. 011-91-356-22-00; metro: Ventas). I guess the box office is open Friday - Saturday from 10am to 2pm and 5 to 8pm.

If Antonio or anyone has more info, I'd love to hear it!

My best,
Uphilldeb

#25708 - 06/22/00 10:59 PM Re: Bullfights in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Uphilldeb! There's a 1-month festival from September to October in Madrid?? REALLY?! I'm not familiar with this. I'll have to check the Las Ventas website (see link above) to find out more because I was hoping to see one in early October, but maybe not if there's a festival. I think I'll hope for a cloudy day and get cheap-seat tickets. NOTICE: GET THE SEAT CUSHION!!! Your buns will be glad you did. The cushion rental is small, but well worth whatever they charge during 3 hours on concrete. Thanks for the info!

Saludos, MadridMan

#25709 - 06/25/00 06:38 PM Re: Bullfights in Madrid
PatM Offline

Loc: Maryland
While I'm not interested in seeing a bullfight, I am interested in a tour that would include going thru a stadium (bull ring?) where they explain bullfighting history, etc. Anyone know of such?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3014 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments