Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25677 - 06/06/00 05:03 PM Madrid: English-speaking bars/restaurants/cafes?
reenie Offline

I'll be heading over to Madrid to study for the summer & am really looking forward to it. There's just one thing -- I promised to speak only Spanish in the dorm & in school. But occasionally, I think I'll need a little break. Are there any favorite places you know of in the city where English-speakers tend to gravitate towards (ie. American/British Ex-Pats living there) that I could go to on occasion?

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#25678 - 06/06/00 05:49 PM Re: Madrid: English-speaking bars/restaurants/cafes?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi,

I'm not sure about the place were British / Americans gather together but try any Irish pub (there are lots of them in Madrid).

Also, have a look at this address http://www.thebroadsheet.com. This is a magazine mainly for Ex-Pats. It used to be available for free at the tourist office but the start selling it. I don't know where can you get it now for free (if you find out about it, please let me know).

Saludos,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#25679 - 06/11/00 08:25 AM Re: Madrid: English-speaking bars/restaurants/cafes?
nevado Offline

There's a British Pub called Anyway (calle Viriato near Iglesia metro) that has Pub Quiz every Thursday night. O'Donnels and Triskels does as well on different nights (Tribunal metro).

#25680 - 06/11/00 12:47 PM Re: Madrid: English-speaking bars/restaurants/cafes?
reenie Offline

Thanks, nevado,
wBTW...what is "Pub Quiz"?

#25681 - 06/13/00 09:24 AM Re: Madrid: English-speaking bars/restaurants/cafes?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Hi - "pub quiz" is a Brit thing. You go to a pub with your friends and make teams of upto about 4 or 5 people, and the teams compete to answer questions set by the quiz guy. There's generally a music section, as well as general knowledge. depends on the quiz. The team that wins normally gets some kind of prize. This is all accompanied by successive rounds of drinks (paid for when you get them, in true pub style!).

#25682 - 06/13/00 09:40 AM Re: Madrid: English-speaking bars/restaurants/cafes?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
I just remembered another thing. On Plaza Santa Ana there's a place called Cerveceria Aleman where apparently Hemingway used to go. I'm guessing, but this might be a good place to meet Americans, as I'm told many go to Spain on a kind of Hemingway pilgrimage (is that true?). Anyhow, this is the kind of place MM would probably know about. let's see if he responds!

#25683 - 06/13/00 09:59 AM Re: Madrid: English-speaking bars/restaurants/cafes?
fnavarro Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yes, to find English speakers, I would recommend you any of the many Irish pubs around.

My favourit Irish pub is The Quiet Man, in the Alonso Martinez area (a few minutes walk from Tribunal subway station). It is worth a visit just to see the place, they have really cared a lot for the decoration.

If you go there, try also La Ardosa tavern around the corner, maybe there will not be many English speakers there, but the place is definitely worth a visit, and the beer also, it;s one of the few places in Madrid with Pilsener Urquell In case you do not find any English speakers there, the barman worked in the States years ago..They used to have beer drinking contests in the past, they still keep a plate with the ranking

A huge Irish pub was opened a couple of years ago in Calle del Principe, close to Sol, it was supposed to be the largest in Europe (it was pretty big indeed). I do not quite remember the name now (O'Connors?). In any case the street is not very long.

But you will find English speakers all over the center of the city, in bars (Irish or not), restaurants, etc, I do not think that not being able to speak English will be a problem for you there.

Florencio

#25684 - 06/13/00 11:22 AM Re: Madrid: English-speaking bars/restaurants/cafes?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
FLORENCIO!!!!!!!! My Buddy!!
Group, Florencio was my VERY first friend in Madrid about, how many, 5 or 6 years ago? LONG before there was a "MadridMan.com"!

We were email-buddies for about 2 years before I went to Madrid for the first time. He's also the son of a VERY famous hostel/hostal family there (dare I mention it?? I'll let him do it if he wishes).

In fact, it was just last year that FLORENCIO who took me to the Irish pubs in the Alonso Martinez area which he mentions above. I remember having a tall, dark, pint of Irish beer of some kind. I don't recall anyone speaking English there though.

Here's your response, El Boqueron!! Regarding Cervecería Alemana (bar/eatery) on the Plaza Santa Ana, I went there last year for lunch and found it to be the historical beauty that I expected it to be. I don't recall seeing ANY photos of Hemingway at all, but did see a few bullfighting photos on the wall. This place is VERY popular, but I didn't hear anyone speaking English. However, it seemed as if there were some non-latinos/ non-tourists eating. It was a true pleasure to be there. Being as popular as it was, I could understand the slightly inflated prices. I believe I comment on the experience in my Daily Online Journal @ http://www.madridman.com/madrid99.html

Saludos, MadridMan
Enjoy Pedro Almodovar Movies? Go to: http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-13-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25685 - 06/13/00 12:47 PM Re: Madrid: English-speaking bars/restaurants/cafes?
reenie Offline

Muchas gracias to all for your information -- it's been very helpful! I will defintely check into these places when I'm there!

reenie

#25686 - 06/14/00 09:00 AM Re: Madrid: English-speaking bars/restaurants/cafes?
fnavarro Offline

Loc: Madrid
>He's also the son of a VERY famous >hostel/hostal family there (dare I mention >it?? I'll let him do it if he wishes).

Hostal Lopez [@ http://www.pair.com/navarro ]

>Here's your response, El Boqueron!! >Regarding Cervecería Alemana (bar/eatery) >on latinos/ non-tourists eating. It was a >true pleasure to be there. Being as popular >as it was, I could understand the slightly >inflated prices.

Yes, Cerveceria Alemana is a clasic, an it has inflated prices these days. It is worth a visit for a beer to see the place, but if you want to get some tapas, you can get them better and cheaper in many other places. In Plaza de Santa Ana there are many other bars/pubs, it is easy to do pub hopping from one to another. One of my favourites is Naturbier, they make their own beer in the installations (you can see it, they are glad to show you). The beer is really good! It's next to Cerveceria Alemana.

Regards

Florencio

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-14-2000).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments