Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#25664 - 09/25/00 03:50 AM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
do have a great time searching out flamenco shows in madrid. make sure you seek more than the set shows though. they tend to be geared toward the unabashed tourist. you want to try and find the spontaneity of flamenco in some small bar. honestly i'm not certain if this is possible in madrid. down in the triana of sevilla, there's an endless amount of places.

#25665 - 10/16/00 10:52 AM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
g-ette Offline

Loc: Boston
Just back from a trip to Spain, including Madrid. Many thanks to the suggestion on Casa Patas. Saw a wonderful show that didn't feel at all touristy. One of the youngest cantores I've ever seen and very engaging. Guess the ones usually booked for US tours are older and more established. Very much wished we'd been there longer to see more. Also--it might not be as authentic/atmospheric feeling, but Patas does 2 shows on Fri/Sat nights with an earlier one at around 9 pm that is easier to get into than the midnight show.
This place was well worth making an effort if you are at all into flamenco!
I can hardly wait for another trip and a chance to go further south.

#25666 - 11/19/00 07:53 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
uphilldeb Offline

Loc: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Hi all,

Well, we went to Casa Patas in Madrid for our first taste of Flamenco. We had reservations (don't count on getting in without them) for the midnight show which actually started at 12:30.

I have to say, having not been to a Flamenco show before, I'm not sure it was what would be considered touristy. What I do know is that the place was completely jam packed with tourists, as well as local followers.

I enjoyed the show. But I must admit, being in close quarters where 99% of the people smoke is tough. Our eyes burned pretty bad and we found ourselves yawning from a lack of oxygen. I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but it's true and I was suprised myself. My husband missed most of the show because he had to keep his eyes closed.

At any rate, Casa Patas makes THE best Sangria (sorry, I know that to some people Sangria is kind of low class, but I was dying of genuine thirst, and Sangria is soooo perfectly refreshing!). And, although we didn't get to eat there (we ate at the totally disgusting restaurant right next door - DON'T EVER go there!) the food in Casa Patas looked divine! But make reservations the day before, or forget it. cpatas@teleline.es http://www.visualware.es/guiamad/anct/patas.htm
Phone: 91-369-04-96 - 91-429-72-89

If you have time, I suggest trying more Flamenco than just one night or place. I know that when we go back to Spain, that's my plan. I'm sure we didn't get a really good taste of this beautiful dance and music.

Deb

#25667 - 11/28/00 04:45 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I know MM is back, but I wanted to ask what anyone who's been thought of Las Torres Bermejas flamenco bar?

We went way back in '92, and all I remember was we had a great view and, damn that dancer was skinny! She made Calista Flockhart look like Oprah! sorry...

#25668 - 11/28/00 05:13 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
that's pretty skinny...

#25669 - 11/28/00 06:12 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Torres Bermejas is quite near to my hostel. Two of my customers from Israel asked me to call the tablao to find oud how much it was. I don't remember the price but it was much more expensive than Casa Patas.

In my opinion, tablaos in Madrid are intended for tourists and that's why they are so expensive.

You may want to try a new one:

Las Carboneras
Plaza del Conde de Miranda, 1
Tel: 91 542 86 77

I guess they have special opening offers.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#25670 - 11/29/00 01:05 AM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
by the way madridman, did you ever have the opportunity to see any flamenco on this last trip? i remember at one point you were planning to.

#25671 - 11/29/00 08:22 AM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Sadly, even though I started this thread I never did get a clear moment to see any flamenco while in Madrid. This is something I regret. Many nights I had other plans and some nights I only wanted to stay home with Mama Rosa and keep her company. The ONLY opportunity was AFTER the "Party With MadridMan: Version 2.0" when one of the guests, "El Duende", was going to perform somewhere, but a group of us at "The Party" decided to go bar hopping in Huertas instead. Oh well. There's always next year.

If anyone else has experiences of past flamenco shows in Madrid & Spain we'd love to hear about them!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25672 - 11/29/00 04:31 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Antonio-

Thanks for the info. I guess Madrid isn't that big after all!

All I remember about Torres Bermejas was that it was full, the dancing and music were great, and it was part of our semester tuition, so I didn't pay any pesetas.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2646 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments