Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#25644 - 06/02/00 04:41 PM Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello Group!!

MadridMan is going to be in Madrid from the end of September until mid October and would like to visit (for my FIRST time!) a flamenco show.

Can you believe I've never been in my 3 trips there? Yes, I know most are very touristy and that's really OK for me because I'm not too picky.

If anyone has been to a flamenco show in Madrid, where was it located, what was it called, and how did you enjoy it?

Thanks! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25645 - 06/04/00 10:25 AM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
JARABOAN Offline

Loc: Madrid
Flamenco shows are O.K. but what about learning it!?

I have never been to this academy but I know classes for beginners are from 8 to 9 pm on tuesdays and thursdays. I know it because
I want to start learning after the summer.
http://www.jmorao.com/

Andres.

#25646 - 06/06/00 08:33 AM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
In reply to your question about Flamenco shows. We have just returned from a week in Madrid and had an absolutely fantastic time (thanks for all your info on your web site). I could go on for many days and nights about the wonderful things we found to see and do and eat in Madrid and surrounging areas etc.

Back to the Flamenco. We went to La Solea twice last week. It is on Cava Baha. It is a dark bar, and usually has a couple of men standing outside (not sure if they were looking for customers or checking that you knew what you were going in for).

There was no entrance charge, but drinks are more expensive (400 pts cerveza).

Once inside, you sit in the bar and wait. Hopefully something will happen. It happened both nights for us, but not until 1 am the second night, but it was worth waiting. There seems to be a regular house guitarist who is joined by anyone who has the inclination. Whilst we were there we heard some singers and guitarists joining in along with everyone else clapping etc. Very atmospheric.

Obviously it's a bit hit or miss as to whether you see anyone perform, and also how good the performers are, but that's half the excitment, awaiting the unexpected and sometimes but not always getting it!

------------------

#25647 - 06/06/00 08:32 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Jo-Anne! What FANTASTIC information you've given here! THESE are JUST the kinds of places I'd love to visit to see flamenco. Thanks! I'll certainly find it and HOPE they happen to feel inspired by the moment and break into dance and song.

Saludos, MadridMan

-----------------

Love music/books/videos/movies from & about Spain? Visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25648 - 06/06/00 08:45 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
kgordon48 Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM usa
Madridman
Did you make it to the Broadway Cafe? Also have you ever heard anything about Port Aventura the theme park in Taragona? thanks ken in abq.

#25649 - 06/07/00 05:42 AM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Sunday morning, Jan 27th we went to Retiro Park to see if the 'entertainment' would be there (during the 'off season'). We were delighted to find a cantaor de flamenco with his guitar accompanist just 'belting out' flamenco music & song. They were very good. We sat and enjoyed their performance for 15-20 minutes, dropped a coin in the 'hat' and continued our Sunday AM 'stroll.'
Yes, there is impromptu entertainment in the park every Sunday morning. You can't beat the price!
P.D.
If you are looking for a Tablao Flamenco, look in the entertainment section of one of the Madrid newspapers: They usually don't start until around midnight and continue until very late (or is it early?). Don't be fooled by the ones that say they begin at 22:30 - they just want to get you inside and buying (expensive) drinks.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 06-07-2000).]

#25650 - 06/09/00 01:46 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
Kate Offline

Loc: tucson, az, usa
Ah Madridman,

If you will be heading south from Madrid at all, you should pass through Granada. Maybe see a Tablao in Madrid first and then go see Las Cuevas de Granada where you can spend an evening with Los Gitanos and see the real thing. While you're there, the Alhambra is not so bad either .

#25651 - 06/09/00 04:24 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Kate, I have heard and read MUCH about flamenco en las cuevas de granada, but haven't yet visited this gem in Andalucía. Someday. Unfortunately it will have to wait as this October's trip will be ONLY Madrid during my two weeks in Spain -- TOTALLY MadridMan.com related.

Eddie, great tip on the start times of flamenco in Madrid as well as the Sunday Parque del Retiro information. I knew this about the park already, but it's good for others to know. JOIN THE REST OF MADRID AND TAKE A SUNDAY MORNING STROLL THROUGH THE RETIRO!!!!! As many times I've been in the park I have never seen flamenco singers/guitar, only puppet shows, mimes, jugglers, and the usual compliment of flower-offering & palm-reading gypsies.

Saludos, MadridMan
-------------------
Love books/music/videos/movies from & about Spain? Visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

#25652 - 06/10/00 03:35 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
LOS GALLOS in Sevilla is good flamenco. It is in the Barrio de Santa Cruz, close to the Murillo gardens. The dancers are young and very passionate! I've been there twice. Once I met a woman from my (small upstate NY) hometown who was seated behind me!

The recent price (February 2000) was 3500 pesetas, which included a drink.

#25653 - 06/11/00 08:11 AM Re: Flamenco in Madrid & Spain
nevado Offline

If you don't have luck at La Solea (great by the way) try a show at Casa Patas- one of the best I've seen in Madrid- but reserve in advance!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1490 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments