Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#25627 - 05/28/00 07:50 AM bullfights
lea Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi, we are going to be in Mardrid in August on a Thursday and Friday and then in Mijas Costa (Costa del Sol) for a full week and want the experience of a bull fight. Where could we see one-which days and cities close to where we are? Secondly can teenagers attend - 13 yrs and 17yrs? Please if anyone can advise I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

#25628 - 05/28/00 12:46 PM Re: bullfights
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
If you are in Mijas on Sunday, see the bullfight there! If I am not mistaken, it is the oldest bullring in Spain, dating back to the era of the Arabs. Travelling to Málaga is another option. The bullring and the fights there are also excellent. Me, I would stay to see the fight in Mijas.

There is no age requirement. You will see the sweatest little girls saying "olé". They will be dressed in their beautiful Sunday dresses. The crowd will be as interesting as the fight.

I visited Mijas in 1990 for a day. You are so lucky to be staying there!!!!!!!

#25629 - 05/29/00 11:58 AM Re: bullfights
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
In Mijas, you're not far from Ronda, which (apart from being a beautiful place to visit, with a dramatic high road bridge avross the river gorge) is the spiritual home of bullfighting in Spain. The Plaza de Toros is the oldest (1785) and most venerated in the country. Pedro Romero who was born in Ronda in 1754 is regarded as the father of modern bullfighting; he laid down the pattern for bullfighting, defining all the moves and passes. He also invented the movement of bullfighter and bull in a sort of ballet style. During his life he killed over 5000 bulls and his "suit of lights" is on show at the (excellent) museum, as are photos of Hemmingway and Orson Welles, both of whom visited Ronda regularly. (Welles' ashes are buried nearby, actually.) The bullring is open every day, I think. Don't miss it!
Mijas by the way claims to have Spain's only rectangular bullring, but I believe there is another one somewhere.

[Really?. I thought Almagro (Ciudad Real) had the only rectangular bullring in the world. Now it seems that neither of them are so unique].

davej@wanadoo.es

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 05-29-2000).]

#25630 - 05/30/00 06:32 AM Re: bullfights
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
If you're going to be in Mijas, here's a way to see a bullfight for free (from a distance!) in nearby Malaga. Malaga has a Bullring (just east of the centre, at the far end of the Park - Paseo del Parque), with corridas every Sunday. Behind it there is a hill with the Parador(hotel) on top. From the terrace of the Parador you can look down into the Bullring - there are even telescopes! Of course, you miss the atmosphere, and the sight of blood! On the other hand, the terrace is great place to have drink and admire the view over the Malaga and the sea.

#25631 - 06/07/00 11:12 PM Re: bullfights
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
i really have not spent much effort going to bullfights, but of course have seen a million on television and know who Jesulín is.

but in regards to the non-circular bullring, DAVEJ you are partially right, Ciudad Real has one of the oldest non-circular bullrings in a pueblo called Las Virtudes that dates back to the middle 1500's or older. there is a convent there and it sits among many of castaña (?)trees. the pueblo is very small and sits in some short and rolling hills; very beautiful and peaceful.

of course when in madrid, go to Ventas! there is even a metro stop nearby that place...

¡VIVA ESPAÑA!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments