Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#25590 - 04/29/03 11:40 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
OK then, smile
Bacalao a la Vizcaína
&#8220;Biscay_style cod&#8221;

Ingredients:

500 gr (1 lb) salt cod
4 sweet red peppers
1 hardboiled egg yolk
2 onions
1 slice fried bread
2 cloves of garlic
6-8 almonds
Olive oil

Desalt the cod in various changes of cold water for 36-48 hours, depending on the thickness of the fish. Carefully remove the skin and bones, making sure the flesh remains as intact as possible. Cut into 3 or 4 pieces, dry with a cloth, and place in an earthenware casserole dish.
Place the peppers in very hot water to soak. (Note 1: you may just leave them to soak overnight, just like the fish. Note 2: I find it's perfect to use 1 pepper for each piece of cod.)
Chop the onion and the garlic, and sauté gently until the onion is half cooked and half fried, without letting it brown. Remove the peppers from the water, scrape off the flesh with a spoon and add to the oil, onion and garlic.
In a mortar, crush the fried bread, egg yolk and almonds, with a few drops of water. Add to the sauce and simmer for a couple more minutes. (Then strain through a colander if you prefer a thinner sauce).
Pour over the cod and cook on a low heat for 20 minutes.
¡Ya está! Now, it can be served in the same earthenware dish.

Booklady; thanks smile but, hey! I did not mean to kill anyone! eek laugh
Anyway, the "pimientos morrones'(red bell peppers¿?), fresh or canned, are meaty (the "pimientos del piquillo' are similar), and the "choriceros'(sweet red peppers¿?) are dry (but must not be mistaken for "guindillas'!)

Next up&#8230;.flamenquines!

Esperanza,
I now like asparagus, specially the 'natural' kind, but love many other things just as much; when I was a very little kid, instead of Barbies or whatever, a couple of times I asked for a can of white asparagus for my b-day....and, of course, got them! laugh rolleyes

#25591 - 04/30/03 10:19 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
pim Offline

Flamenquines
Uff!....Little beef rolls (¿?)

Ingredients:

6 thin beef fillets
3 eggs
6 sliced cured ham (jamón Serrano!, ok, ok, &#8220;regular&#8221; ham if you can't get it)
30-36 pitted green olives
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 Red bell pepper
White wine
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
1-2 tomatoes (optional)
1-2 carrots (optional)

Stretch out the fillets and season lightly, bearing in mind that the ham is quite salty.
Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and prepare a very flat French omelette.
On each fillet, place a slice of ham, a few strips of omelette and pepper and a few pieces of chopped olive. Roll up the fillets carefully, making sure that the other ingredients stay in place, and tie the rolls with a string or fasten with a few toothpicks (which is a little easier). Fry in hot oil and place in a saucepan.
Finely chop the onion and the garlic (along with some small dices of tomato and carrot if &#8220;you're into&#8221; sauces wink ), and fry in the same oil used for the rolls. Add a glass of white wine when the onion begins to brown. Bring to the boil, pour over the flamenquines and cook for about an hour until the meat is tender (stick a fork to test).
The sauce can be served as it is or strained.
They're great garnished with some mashed potatoes.

Next up, two very simple recipes for "gambas al ajillo' and "patatas ali-oli' in Mman's honour; I just read the last part of his journal and it's so moving, sniff, sniff! frown
I'm even thinking of posting a recipe for "pulpo a la gallega', dedicated to Mman and all the octopus lovers out there, though I'm not a big fan myself, so it's something I've never cooked before! :p
(BTW, Mman, DO NOT feel bad for not leaving a tip at Botín; as you know, here in Spain that is not mandatory AT ALL (waiters don't expect it, it's not the same system as in the States), and I think a &#8364;100 plus dinner for only two people is enough, WOW! eek

#25592 - 04/30/03 11:46 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
I have been reading all the posts here on this thread as I am a newby to the Board. Regarding the olive oil, yes it is true that much of the so called Italian olive oil is Spanish olive oil. It is some what of an embarrassment to the Italians as they are so recognized by their use of olive oil. Also, with regards to Spanish food in California; it is extremely difficult to find a Spanish restaurant here, and don't even ask about Basque food! I currently live in Anaheim which is 35 miles south east of Los Angeles. In my 40 plus years of living in California I know no more than 10 Spanish restaurants throughout the State. Im sure there are more but I've only encountered ten and two Basque restaurants. If you want to find Spanish food products, go to 'Latino' markets which are different from the Mexican markets here in California. Although Mexican markets carry some Spanish products the Latino markets cater to Cuban and Central American products. Any store that sells Cuban products you will also find Spanish products. It is a damn shame that California lost so much of it's Spanish connection. Though if you travel through our beautiful state especially in Southern California you'd swear you were in Spain.
The city of Santa Barbara is the perfect example of Spanish culture here in California. Also, here in So. Cal we are blessed with the Mediterranean climate that everyone envies.

Saludos,
OsoMajor

#25593 - 05/01/03 12:30 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Welcome to the board neighbor! Occasionally, those of us MM members here in So Cal have dinner gatherings where we meet at a Spanish Restaurant, we'd love to have you join us. We had a gathering about a month ago and the next gathering is not yet planned. Again, welcome!

#25594 - 05/01/03 11:29 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Howdy neighbor...my, we're only 15 miles apart. Thanks for the invite. Yes, please let me know of any future gatherings. My wife and I would really enjoy it. My wife suffers from Fibromyalgia, (among other medical ills), so we don't go out very often. She is not very familiar with Spanish food except for dishes I've made for her. I don't want to brag but my Paella is to die for!!!! laugh .
I have an aunt by marriage that is from Asturias and she taught me to make some dishes as well as Paella. I love to cook and I'll add some recipies later on. Thanks again and glad to meet ya!

#25595 - 05/02/03 10:21 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
pim Offline

PATATAS ALIOLI

Ingredientes:

500 gr (1 lb) potatoes
1 egg
1 lemon
3 cloves of garlic
Olive oil (or sunflower oil in this case)
Parsley
Salt

Peel, wash and chop the potatoes (into medium sized chunks). Cook in a pan with salted water until soft so they can be pierced easily with a toothpick. Once cooked, remove from the pan, drain and place in a plate or a bowl.
While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the alioli. Make a mayonnaise with one egg, a glass of oil, the juice of half a lemon (or a few drops of vinegar, or a little bit of both), salt, and a tablespoonful of tepid water if you like a more liquid mayonnaise, using a mixer (or is it a blender?, anyway, you know what I mean confused rolleyes ).
In a mortar, peel and crush the three cloves of garlic to form a smooth paste and add to the mayonnaise bit by bit, mixing very well.
Spoon the alioli over the potatoes and sprinkle with some chopped fresh parsley.
Serve cool. rolleyes

#25596 - 05/02/03 10:28 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
pim Offline

GAMBAS AL AJILLO

Ingredientes:

500 gr (1 lb) fresh prawns/shrimps
2 chilli peppers (guindillas really)
6 cloves garlic
Olive oil
Pepper
Salt
Parsley

Remove the heads and &#8220;skin&#8221; of the prawns, as well as the intestine or black string that runs along their bellies. Wash the prawns in cold water and dry well.
Cut the chilli peppers into rings and remove the seeds. Chop the garlic.
Heat olive oil in an earthenware casserole if possible, or a frying pan; fry the garlic, and when it begins to brown, add the chilli and the prawns. Season lightly and fry for a couple of minutes, stirring well until the prawns are cooked. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley as a nice final touch.
Serve while they're still very hot.

Next up....mmm....I'm not sure! I meant to post an easy recipe to make the very Spanish, 'pollo al ajillo', but now I realize that would be too much garlic for now! eek laugh
So, any requests? smile

#25597 - 05/03/03 12:11 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

All you guys are making me terribly hungry and making my mouth water!!! Well, as I promised Im contributing a recipe of my own. My Mom used to make this just for me laugh .

Oxtail Stew
(recipe follows on next post)

#25598 - 05/03/03 12:11 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Oxtail Stew: Rabo de Toro Estofado

5 pounds oxtails, cut in 2-inch thick rounds
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup red wine
1 large Spanish onion, diced
1 large carrot
1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup dry sherry wine
2 cans beef stock, unsalted
1 bay leaf
1 bunch thyme, chopped
3 to 4 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper
Coat oxtail pieces with the flour, make sure to season the flour, and sear them in olive oil. Remove from the pan. Add the onions and carrots and saute until onions start to caramilize, next add the garlic until it's slightly golden, (don't burn the garlic, it makes it bitter!). Sprinkle in the flour and stir, allow the flour to brown. Pour in the red wine, stir, then pour beef stock and stir. Add the oxtails to the vegetables. Continue by adding in the tomatoes, sherry, bay leaf and thyme and simmer for approximately 2 to 3 hours.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 4

#25599 - 05/03/03 05:54 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Sigh - very very hungry now ...

pim - more garlic's fine, I'd love you to post the 'pollo al ajillo' recipe.

Thanks everyone for all these recipes, I hope to have a go at some of them when I've finished with exams. We've been living off baked beans and tomato soup recently due to my incapacity as a proper mother eek

Mind you I'll have to get an excercise program together as well rolleyes

Jo

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments